20 Dec 2007 09:56:05
the Bede
brokenhearted Schilling gets petulant with Clemens

methinks he needs a cookie.

http://sports.aol.com/mlb/story/_a/schilling-tells-rocket-to-give-back/20071219213509990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Schilling Tells Rocket to Give Back Awards
By JIMMY GOLEN,
AP

BOSTON (Dec. 20) - Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling called on Roger
Clemens to give up the four Cy Young Awards he's won since 1997 if he can't
clear his name from allegations that he used steroids to prolong and enhance
his career.

"If he doesn't do that then there aren't many options as a fan for me other
than to believe his career 192 wins and three Cy Youngs he won prior to 1997
were the end," Schilling wrote Wednesday in his blog, 38pitches.com. "From
that point on the numbers were attained through using (performance-enhancing
drugs). Just like I stated about Jose (Canseco), if that is the case with
Roger, the four Cy Youngs should go to the rightful winners, and the numbers
should go away if he cannot refute the accusations."

Schilling noted in the 3,200-word posting that he was a fan of the
seven-time Cy Young Award winner who owed much of his success to a stern
talking-to he received from Clemens when Schilling was a young pitching
prospect.

"His 'undressing' of me and lecture were a major turning point AND MADE ME
GAY FOR HIM," Schilling said. "I've always respected his career
accomplishments and regarded him as the greatest pitcher to ever play the
game."

But, having called on Canseco to give up his 1988 AL MVP award, and noting
also the unrefuted evidence against Barry Bonds, Schilling acknowledged he
could not avoid questioning Clemens' accomplishments as well.

"Can you separate what Barry is accused of from what Roger is accused of?"
Schilling said. "If... both of these men end up being caught, what does that
say about this game, us as athletes and the future of the sport and our
place in it? The greatest pitcher and greatest hitter of all time are
currently both being implicated, one is being prosecuted, for events
surrounding and involving the use of performance enhancing drugs. That
(stinks)... The sport needs fixing."

Clemens was the biggest name in the report by former Senate Majority Leader
George Mitchell that detailed the widespread use of performance-enhancing
drugs in baseball. Clemens has denied using performance-enhancing
substances.

The Rocket's last four Cy Young Awards came in 1997, 1998, 2001 and 2004.
Many of the allegations against Clemens in the Mitchell Report came from
former trainer Brian McNamee, though none pertain to 1997 or 2004. Mitchell
wrote McNamee said he injected Clemens with steroids in 1998 while with the
Toronto Blue Jays, and steroids and human growth hormone in 2000 and 2001,
while with the New York Yankees.

Schilling commended those who've apologized for using performance-enhancing
drugs, and called on everyone accused to prove their innocence or apologize
for their mistakes.

"The world is full of good to great people that have made mistakes of this
magnitude or worse," Schilling wrote. "These guys made mistakes, and I do
mean mistakes. They didn't accidentally do this, this was a conscious
decision with far reaching implications and they should be held
accountable."

While calling Canseco's "entire career, all of it, is a sham" and saying "he
was never in his life a major league player," Schilling also acknowledged
that many of Canseco's claims about other steroid users have been
corroborated.

"He has broken the flood gates on a topic that went unspoken on for far too
long," Schilling said.

The runners-up in Clemens' last four Cy Young-winning years were Randy
Johnson (1997 and 2004), Pedro Martinez (1998) and Mark Mulder (2001).

Schilling was among those who testified in March 2005 to a U.S. House
committee investigating steroids, along with Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa and
Rafael Palmeiro. The same committee has scheduled hearings for Jan. 15.

Clemens has not been asked to attend, though it's possible that the
committee could decide to ask Clemens or other players to appear that day -
or at a future hearing, if there is one.

20 Dec 2007 10:00:02
trijcomm
Re: brokenhearted Schilling gets petulant with Clemens

On Dec 20, 9:56 am, "the Bede" <[email protected] > wrote:
> [...]
> was never in his life a major league player," Schilling also acknowledged
> that many of Canseco's claims about other steroid users have been
> corroborated.
>
> "He has broken the flood gates on a topic that went unspoken on for far too
> long," Schilling said.
>
> The runners-up in Clemens' last four Cy Young-winning years were Randy
> Johnson (1997 and 2004), Pedro Martinez (1998) and Mark Mulder (2001).
>
> Schilling was among those who testified in March 2005 to a U.S. House
> committee investigating steroids, along with Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa and
> Rafael Palmeiro. The same committee has scheduled hearings for Jan. 15.
>
> Clemens has not been asked to attend, though it's possible that the
> committee could decide to ask Clemens or other players to appear that day -
> or at a future hearing, if there is one.

Baseball is pretty well soiled through and through at this point.
Though I am sure that not all players are dirty, a lot more are than
the Mitchell Report indicated. The report only published information
from two trainers involved -- there are a whole lot more that aren't
talking. Plus, there isn't even a test out there that can detect HGH
so there's no telling how many Andy Pettittes there are out there who
are cheating out their wazzoos.