25 Aug 2003 10:30:30
coppermouse
silencer on paintball gun

Does anybody know if there are plans or a design available for a silencer
for a paintball gun?

25 Aug 2003 08:56:16
Denise
Re: silencer on paintball gun

"coppermouse" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Does anybody know if there are plans or a design available for a silencer
> for a paintball gun?

They ATF has declared them illegal and they're pretty much useless. But if
you did a google search, I'm sure you could find someone who wanted to take
your money for silencer plans.

http://www.newsfeeds.com- The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

Jose
Re: silencer on paintball gun

A silencer is basically just two pipes with one bigger around the other and
batting in between. You could just get a really long barrel and have
porting drilled into most of it. After about 10 inches of barrel travel a
paintball begins to decelerate IN the barrel so you could just get a 14" or
16" barrel and port with 1/16" holes on 3/16" centers from 10 inches
forward. I think that would silence it a great deal. You could do more
porting if you don't mind the hit to efficiency. If this is a scenario
marker, you could put a cosmetic cone on the end, forward of the muzzle so
that the ATF doesn't have room to complain.

--
Jose I. Sanchez
Airsmith

"Denise" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "coppermouse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Does anybody know if there are plans or a design available for a
silencer
> > for a paintball gun?
> >

> They ATF has declared them illegal and they're pretty much useless. But
if
> you did a google search, I'm sure you could find someone who wanted to
take
> your money for silencer plans.

> http://www.newsfeeds.com- The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

Michael Hughes
Re: silencer on paintball gun

you forgot the "For Informational Use Only" clause

"Jose" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> [...]

> porting if you don't mind the hit to efficiency. If this is a scenario
> marker, you could put a cosmetic cone on the end, forward of the muzzle so
> that the ATF doesn't have room to complain.
>
> --
> Jose I. Sanchez
> Airsmith
> Electric Iguana Paintball
> http://www.electriciguanapaintball.com
>

> "Denise" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > "coppermouse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > > Does anybody know if there are plans or a design available for a
> silencer
> > > for a paintball gun?
> > >

> > They ATF has declared them illegal and they're pretty much useless. But
> if
> > you did a google search, I'm sure you could find someone who wanted to

25 Aug 2003 12:03:42
Jose
Re: silencer on paintball gun

Ahhh... I didn't actually give instructions on how to build a silencer, I
only described what one is. Porting is ok to put on a barrel. However,
just in case... (ahem) the previous post was for informational use only.

Jose

"Michael Hughes" <dapaintschmuck**IZASEXYBEAST**@rcn.com > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> [...]
> > porting if you don't mind the hit to efficiency. If this is a scenario
> > marker, you could put a cosmetic cone on the end, forward of the muzzle
so
> > that the ATF doesn't have room to complain.
> >
> > --
> > Jose I. Sanchez
> > Airsmith
> > Electric Iguana Paintball
> > http://www.electriciguanapaintball.com
> >

> > "Denise" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > >
> > > "coppermouse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]
> > silencer
> > > >

> > > They ATF has declared them illegal and they're pretty much useless.
But
> > if
> > > you did a google search, I'm sure you could find someone who wanted to

25 Aug 2003 17:12:54
Chris Phillipo
Re: silencer on paintball gun

In article <[email protected] >,
[email protected] says...
> A silencer is basically just two pipes with one bigger around the other and
> batting in between. You could just get a really long barrel and have
> porting drilled into most of it. After about 10 inches of barrel travel a
> paintball begins to decelerate IN the barrel so you could just get a 14" or
> 16" barrel and port with 1/16" holes on 3/16" centers from 10 inches
> forward. I think that would silence it a great deal. You could do more
> porting if you don't mind the hit to efficiency. If this is a scenario
> marker, you could put a cosmetic cone on the end, forward of the muzzle so
> that the ATF doesn't have room to complain.

"Someone" made one recently out of a 9oz aluminum tank with the ends cut
off and some muffler packing, worked really well, changes the sound of
the marker to a dull thud like a golf ball hitting carpet, very
difficult to pinpoint.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

25 Aug 2003 23:38:08
Ayar-15
Re: silencer on paintball gun

Mister Sanchez, I'm with the BATF. Please come with me.

Oh, hey, nice Komodo!

Now come with me.

> [...]
travel
> > > paintball begins to decelerate IN the barrel so you could just get a
14"
> > or
> > > 16" barrel and port with 1/16" holes on 3/16" centers from 10 inches
> > > forward. I think that would silence it a great deal. You could do
more
> > > porting if you don't mind the hit to efficiency. If this is a
scenario
> > > marker, you could put a cosmetic cone on the end, forward of the
muzzle
> so
> > > that the ATF doesn't have room to complain.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jose I. Sanchez
> > > Airsmith
> > > Electric Iguana Paintball
> > > http://www.electriciguanapaintball.com
> > >

> > > "Denise" <[email protected]> wrote in message

"EdTHEWARD" <[email protected] > wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "z" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> What crack were they smoking when they made paintball gun silencers
>> illegal?? sheesh gimme a break
>>
>> -z
>
> it's that fine line of "well, if they can put it on a barrel of a
> paintball gun, they could probably attatch it to a barrel of a real
> gun."
>
> that is what they are concerned with.

heh. the funny thing is a cop showed him how to do it :)

27 Aug 2003 09:12:24
Mulletino

coppermouse wrote:
> Does anybody know if there are plans or a design available for a silencer
> for a paintball gun?

I have one somewhere possibly in my old kitbag or my parents loft
(attic). It was an outer tube with a smaller ported tube inside and some
form of 'muffling' mateerial between them. The end then had 2 O rings to
keep it on the barrel. It came with a load of old stuff I bought and to
me, seems a pretty pointless piece of kit.

--

Mulletino

27 Aug 2003 17:30:44
Chris Phillipo
Re: silencer on paintball gun

In article <[email protected] >, [email protected]
says...
> "Denise" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>

> > "coppermouse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> >> Does anybody know if there are plans or a design available for a
> >> silencer for a paintball gun?
> >>

> > They ATF has declared them illegal and they're pretty much useless.
> > But if you did a google search, I'm sure you could find someone who
> > wanted to take your money for silencer plans.
>

> you are joking -- a silencer on a paintball gun is illegal?? holy crap --
> someone I know [not naming names] made one that's pretty sweet. All you
> can hear is the bolt action and a little woosh sound
>
> What crack were they smoking when they made paintball gun silencers
> illegal?? sheesh gimme a break
>
> -z

I assume it is because a silencer on a painball gun would easily
transfer to a rifle without even removing the paintball barrel.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

27 Aug 2003 15:13:24
Jose
Re: silencer on paintball gun

Problem is that a rifle is supersonic, so a silencer is relatively useless.

Jose

"Chris Phillipo" <[email protected] > wrote in message
> says...
> > "Denise" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > news:[email protected]:
> >

> > > "coppermouse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]
> > >>

> > > They ATF has declared them illegal and they're pretty much useless.
> > > But if you did a google search, I'm sure you could find someone who
> > > wanted to take your money for silencer plans.
> >

> > you are joking -- a silencer on a paintball gun is illegal?? holy
crap --
> > someone I know [not naming names] made one that's pretty sweet. All you
> > can hear is the bolt action and a little woosh sound
> >
> > What crack were they smoking when they made paintball gun silencers
> > illegal?? sheesh gimme a break
> >
> > -z
> >

> I assume it is because a silencer on a painball gun would easily
> transfer to a rifle without even removing the paintball barrel.
> --
> _________________________
> Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
> http://www.ramsays-online.com

28 Aug 2003 00:58:21
Bill B.
Re: silencer on paintball gun

"Jose" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Problem is that a rifle is supersonic, so a silencer is relatively
useless.

> Jose

Much harder to tell where a small "sonic boom" is coming from rather than
the report of the shot.

Re: silencer on paintball gun

Phelps <[email protected] > wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Jose" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Problem is that a rifle is supersonic, so a silencer is relatively
>> useless.
>
> I can get subsonic .22 LR by the case, and it is pretty cheap, too.
>
> It is what the DEA uses to take out guard dogs (with silencers.)
>

> Phelps

a 2 litre pop bottle does wonders with a .22 lr subsonic -- with just some
duct tape.

28 Aug 2003 01:39:22
Jeff Goslin
Re: silencer on paintball gun

"Phelps" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> My understanding is that silencers aren't designed to spoof the guy
> getting shot -- they are to confuse the other 30 guys in his platoon.

LMFAO!!!

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD
http://www.goslin.info

29 Aug 2003 15:58:50
Chris Phillipo
Re: silencer on paintball gun

In article <[email protected] >,
[email protected] says...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > What crack were they smoking when they made paintball gun silencers
> > > illegal?? sheesh gimme a break
> > >
> > I assume it is because a silencer on a painball gun would easily
> > transfer to a rifle without even removing the paintball barrel.
>
> It is because the BATF classifies a paintball marker as an air rifle,
> and they ban silencers from all civilian rifles without a license. Even
> non-powder ones. I can't imagine than a .68 silencer would do a lot of
> good for a real gun.
>
> (Can't let reason intrude on uniformity, don'tcha'know.)
>

> Phelps

You'd be surprised. I wonder what that Washington sniper was using on
his rifle when practicing in the back yard, maybe his neighbors were
just that stunned.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

29 Aug 2003 15:19:09
Daniel Martin
Re: silencer on paintball gun

Jose, I buy over the counter subsonic ammo! not good for anything at a
distace, but I used to target shoot in the basement and the wife couldn't
hear it! ( no she ain't deaf)

"Jose" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Problem is that a rifle is supersonic, so a silencer is relatively
useless.

> Jose
>

> "Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
> > says...
> > > "Denise" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > > news:[email protected]:

> > > you are joking -- a silencer on a paintball gun is illegal?? holy
> crap --
> > > someone I know [not naming names] made one that's pretty sweet. All
you
> > > can hear is the bolt action and a little woosh sound
> > >
> > > What crack were they smoking when they made paintball gun silencers
> > > illegal?? sheesh gimme a break
> > >
> > > -z
> > >

> > I assume it is because a silencer on a painball gun would easily
> > transfer to a rifle without even removing the paintball barrel.
> > --
> > _________________________
> > Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
> > http://www.ramsays-online.com

29 Aug 2003 16:28:44
Chris Phillipo
Re: silencer on paintball gun

In article <[email protected] >, [email protected]
says...
> Jose, I buy over the counter subsonic ammo! not good for anything at a
> distace, but I used to target shoot in the basement and the wife couldn't
> hear it! ( no she ain't deaf)
>
> "Jose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Problem is that a rifle is supersonic, so a silencer is relatively
> useless.
> >
> > Jose

Not really, you're not trying to redirect the sound of the bullet
traveling through air, which is where your sonic boom comes from, just
the muzzle report. To be effective a silencer only has to make you
position hard to pinpoint, it doesn't actually have to make the gun
silent. I use the opposite technic, a 6 barrel with no ports, my goal is
to either deafen my opponents or confuse them with the echos :)

--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

29 Aug 2003 16:38:08
BillyJoeJimBob

Chris Phillipo wrote:

> I use the opposite technic, a 6 barrel with no ports, my goal is
> to either deafen my opponents or confuse them with the echos :)

*grin* ... bury your signal in your own noise, I suppose. :)

BJJB

30 Aug 2003 10:32:41
Nick W.
Re: silencer on paintball gun

From what I heard the neighbors said his crazy ass would run out of the
house, squeeze off 3 shots with his bushy .223, then run back in....It
wasn't silenced, He was just nuts.

-Nick

"Chris Phillipo" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...

> > > I assume it is because a silencer on a painball gun would easily
> > > transfer to a rifle without even removing the paintball barrel.
> >
> > It is because the BATF classifies a paintball marker as an air rifle,
> > and they ban silencers from all civilian rifles without a license. Even
> > non-powder ones. I can't imagine than a .68 silencer would do a lot of
> > good for a real gun.
> >
> > (Can't let reason intrude on uniformity, don'tcha'know.)
> >

> > Phelps
> >

> You'd be surprised. I wonder what that Washington sniper was using on
> his rifle when practicing in the back yard, maybe his neighbors were
> just that stunned.
> --
> _________________________
> Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
> http://www.ramsays-online.com

03 Sep 2003 05:47:19
Kristan Roberge
Re: silencer on paintball gun

all silencers on guns are illegal. air guns included. Now technically that
means you can't
put a 2L plastic popbottle, ducttape to the muzzle of a .22, and filled with
styrofoam. It'd
silence the gun a few decibles... and oh my... illegal.

z wrote:

> "Denise" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>

> > "coppermouse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> >> Does anybody know if there are plans or a design available for a
> >> silencer for a paintball gun?
> >>

> > They ATF has declared them illegal and they're pretty much useless.
> > But if you did a google search, I'm sure you could find someone who
> > wanted to take your money for silencer plans.
>
> you are joking -- a silencer on a paintball gun is illegal?? holy crap --
> someone I know [not naming names] made one that's pretty sweet. All you
> can hear is the bolt action and a little woosh sound
>
> What crack were they smoking when they made paintball gun silencers
> illegal?? sheesh gimme a break
>
> -z

03 Sep 2003 05:50:14
Kristan Roberge
Re: silencer on paintball gun

and you only hear the sonic boom after the bullet goes past you. :)

"Bill B." wrote:

> "Jose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Problem is that a rifle is supersonic, so a silencer is relatively
> useless.
> >
> > Jose
> >

> Much harder to tell where a small "sonic boom" is coming from rather than
> the report of the shot.

03 Sep 2003 05:52:07
Kristan Roberge
Re: silencer on paintball gun

so does a pillow :)

z wrote:

> Phelps <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Jose" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> Problem is that a rifle is supersonic, so a silencer is relatively
> >> useless.
> >
> > I can get subsonic .22 LR by the case, and it is pretty cheap, too.
> >
> > It is what the DEA uses to take out guard dogs (with silencers.)
> >

> > Phelps
> >

> a 2 litre pop bottle does wonders with a .22 lr subsonic -- with just some
> duct tape.

03 Sep 2003 05:52:48
Kristan Roberge
Re: silencer on paintball gun

bolt actions only make noise when you want them to.

Jose wrote:

> Subsonic 22 from a specially modified rifle is the only really "silent"
> firearm ever made. Although you still hear the action cycling.
>
> Jose
>
> "Phelps" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Jose" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > Problem is that a rifle is supersonic, so a silencer is relatively
> useless.
> >
> > I can get subsonic .22 LR by the case, and it is pretty cheap, too.
> > It is what the DEA uses to take out guard dogs (with silencers.)
> >

> > Phelps
> >
> > --
> > "The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naive and
> usually
> > idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest
> of
> > us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it
> debauched.
> > He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to
> > despair." -- H.L. Mencken

03 Sep 2003 05:55:17
Kristan Roberge
Re: silencer on paintball gun

trracers and mavericks do that naturally

Chris Phillipo wrote:

> says...
> > Jose, I buy over the counter subsonic ammo! not good for anything at a
> > distace, but I used to target shoot in the basement and the wife couldn't
> > hear it! ( no she ain't deaf)
> >
> > "Jose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > > Problem is that a rifle is supersonic, so a silencer is relatively
> > useless.
> > >
> > > Jose
>
> Not really, you're not trying to redirect the sound of the bullet
> traveling through air, which is where your sonic boom comes from, just
> the muzzle report. To be effective a silencer only has to make you
> position hard to pinpoint, it doesn't actually have to make the gun
> silent. I use the opposite technic, a 6 barrel with no ports, my goal is
> to either deafen my opponents or confuse them with the echos :)
>
> --
> _________________________
> Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
> http://www.ramsays-online.com

03 Sep 2003 19:28:35
Daniel Martin
Re: silencer on paintball gun

or a potato
Dan

"Kristan Roberge" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> so does a pillow :)
>
> z wrote:
>
> > Phelps <[email protected]> wrote in
> > news:[email protected]:

> > > I can get subsonic .22 LR by the case, and it is pretty cheap, too.
> > >
> > > It is what the DEA uses to take out guard dogs (with silencers.)
> > >

> > > Phelps
> > >

> > a 2 litre pop bottle does wonders with a .22 lr subsonic -- with just
some
> > duct tape.

06 Sep 2003 21:03:16
Michael Hughes
Re: silencer on paintball gun

GUNS only make noise when you want them too.