31 Aug 2003 15:13:05
phroboi
Marker Oil

The local paintball store around here sells the 1 oz. bottles of gun
oil for $6.00 a pop. I'd rather buy 36 cans of soda for that much, at
least I can drink that. My question is this. I have a 4 oz. can of
Elmer's Slide-All Dry Spray Lubricant lying around and was thinking
that might work. Thoughts/suggestions about my solution or other
solutions you guys have come up with.

31 Aug 2003 23:33:05
Tys0n
Re: Marker Oil

Three in one oil or sewing machine oil is what i use...It works great for me
no gumming up or anything, and much cheaper than "paintball gun" oil

-Ty

"phroboi" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:310820031310177935%[email protected]
> The local paintball store around here sells the 1 oz. bottles of gun
> oil for $6.00 a pop. I'd rather buy 36 cans of soda for that much, at
> least I can drink that. My question is this. I have a 4 oz. can of
> Elmer's Slide-All Dry Spray Lubricant lying around and was thinking
> that might work. Thoughts/suggestions about my solution or other
> solutions you guys have come up with.

01 Sep 2003 05:34:19
TONY SR.
Re: Marker Oil

great lube... ;-)
"Paintballmavin" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "phroboi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:310820031310177935%[email protected]
> > The local paintball store around here sells the 1 oz. bottles of gun
> > oil for $6.00 a pop. I'd rather buy 36 cans of soda for that much, at
> > least I can drink that. My question is this. I have a 4 oz. can of
> > Elmer's Slide-All Dry Spray Lubricant lying around and was thinking
> > that might work. Thoughts/suggestions about my solution or other
> > solutions you guys have come up with.
>
> I've been using just plain old air tool oil for years, with never a
problem.
> It's available at any auto parts store for about 5.00 a 16 oz
> bottle....after all, what is a marker but an "air tool"??

31 Aug 2003 23:33:53
Jose I. Sanchez
Re: Marker Oil

Solid recommendation Marvin.

--
Jose I. Sanchez
Airsmith

"Paintballmavin" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "phroboi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:310820031310177935%[email protected]
> > The local paintball store around here sells the 1 oz. bottles of gun
> > oil for $6.00 a pop. I'd rather buy 36 cans of soda for that much, at
> > least I can drink that. My question is this. I have a 4 oz. can of
> > Elmer's Slide-All Dry Spray Lubricant lying around and was thinking
> > that might work. Thoughts/suggestions about my solution or other
> > solutions you guys have come up with.
>
> I've been using just plain old air tool oil for years, with never a
problem.
> It's available at any auto parts store for about 5.00 a 16 oz
> bottle....after all, what is a marker but an "air tool"??

01 Sep 2003 07:54:09
DGDevin
Re: Marker Oil

"phroboi" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:310820031310177935%[email protected]

> The local paintball store around here sells the 1 oz. bottles of gun
> oil for $6.00 a pop. I'd rather buy 36 cans of soda for that much, at
> least I can drink that. My question is this. I have a 4 oz. can of
> Elmer's Slide-All Dry Spray Lubricant lying around and was thinking
> that might work. Thoughts/suggestions about my solution or other
> solutions you guys have come up with.

Some of the so-called "paintgun oil" sold is nothing but a rebottled
industrial product that is often not a very good thing to put inside a
paintgun, I've seen some of this stuff literally dissolve o-rings. In fact,
Bud Orr used to test various oils by throwing an assortment of paintgun
o-rings into a jar of the oil and letting it sit for a few days. In some
cases the o-rings would swell up, in others they would just disappear.

The only oil made specifically for airguns so far as I know is KC
Trouble-Free oil, it's the only thing I use in my paintguns. In fact the
only actual "airsmiths" I know, two guys who have been factory trained by
various companies like Smart Parts, Worr Game Products, Indian Creek etc.,
both tell me to use nothing but KC with the exception of some guns that need
a certain type of grease in some locations, ie. Smart Parts guns. Since my
guns lubricated with KC tend to run perfectly year after year, I see no
reason to ignore their advice.

01 Sep 2003 12:17:32
Michael Hughes
Re: Marker Oil

K-mart

Hoppes Gun Oil
3 bucks.

"phroboi" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:310820031310177935%[email protected]
> The local paintball store around here sells the 1 oz. bottles of gun
> oil for $6.00 a pop. I'd rather buy 36 cans of soda for that much, at
> least I can drink that. My question is this. I have a 4 oz. can of
> Elmer's Slide-All Dry Spray Lubricant lying around and was thinking
> that might work. Thoughts/suggestions about my solution or other
> solutions you guys have come up with.
K-mart

Hoppes Gun Oil
3 bucks.

"phroboi" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:310820031310177935%[email protected]
> The local paintball store around here sells the 1 oz. bottles of gun
> oil for $6.00 a pop. I'd rather buy 36 cans of soda for that much, at
> least I can drink that. My question is this. I have a 4 oz. can of
> Elmer's Slide-All Dry Spray Lubricant lying around and was thinking
> that might work. Thoughts/suggestions about my solution or other
> solutions you guys have come up with.

02 Sep 2003 12:30:09
Nick W.
Re: Marker Oil

Is there any reason you can't use regular gun oil? Thats what I use and it
seems to work just fine.

-Nick

"phroboi" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:310820031310177935%[email protected]
> The local paintball store around here sells the 1 oz. bottles of gun
> oil for $6.00 a pop. I'd rather buy 36 cans of soda for that much, at
> least I can drink that. My question is this. I have a 4 oz. can of
> Elmer's Slide-All Dry Spray Lubricant lying around and was thinking
> that might work. Thoughts/suggestions about my solution or other
> solutions you guys have come up with.

02 Sep 2003 18:03:43
Insane Ranter
Re: Marker Oil

"Nick W." <nick**please-remove-this-part**@comcast.net > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Is there any reason you can't use regular gun oil? Thats what I use and
it
> seems to work just fine.

You basically don't want to use anything that will eat o=rings

02 Sep 2003 18:18:37
Michael Hughes
Re: Marker Oil

normal gun oil wont eat o rings, WD40 will.

"Insane Ranter" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Nick W." <nick**please-remove-this-part**@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Is there any reason you can't use regular gun oil? Thats what I use and
> it
> > seems to work just fine.
>
> You basically don't want to use anything that will eat o=rings

normal gun oil wont eat o rings, WD40 will.

"Insane Ranter" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Nick W." <nick**please-remove-this-part**@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Is there any reason you can't use regular gun oil? Thats what I use and
> it
> > seems to work just fine.
>
> You basically don't want to use anything that will eat o=rings

02 Sep 2003 23:40:54
Daniel Martin
Re: Marker Oil

Ever look at "Crossman" pellet gun oil, or coleman pump oil " (the same
company) . Looks and feels exactly the same as tranny fluid.!

Dan

"Jeff Goslin" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "phroboi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:310820031310177935%[email protected]
> > The local paintball store around here sells the 1 oz. bottles of gun
> > oil for $6.00 a pop. I'd rather buy 36 cans of soda for that much, at
> > least I can drink that. My question is this. I have a 4 oz. can of
> > Elmer's Slide-All Dry Spray Lubricant lying around and was thinking
> > that might work. Thoughts/suggestions about my solution or other
> > solutions you guys have come up with.
>
> You're going to hear a lot of things from the paintball community on this
> one, but I'm going to chime in on a "low end marker" perspective, not
> including all those high end fancy schmancy electronic guns and whatnot:
if
> it lubricates, it's good enough.
>
> Bottom line here: I have *NEVER* had to change an oring because it was
> wildly misshapen by petroleum based oil exposure. Every o-ring I've had
> change was a direct result of damage from the use of the marker and NOT
from
> being snagged because it was too big from swelling.
>
> Many people believe that using just the right kind of oil is CRITICAL in
the
> use of a paintball gun. That may be the case for high end guns, and, as I
> said, I won't speak to those. Some manufacturers insist on the use of
> specific lubricants to validate the warranty. Fine. But if you've got a
> spyder, pirahna, rebel, F4, tippmann, whatever low end gun you want,
you'll
> replace o-rings just as frequently if you use 50 buck a bottle super duper
> paintball gun special oil as if you use 3 in 1 from the local hardware
> store.
>
> I've been playing for 15 years, and have had the same 2 bottles of 3 in 1
> for that ENTIRE TIME. Trust me: 3 in 1 is ALL you need. Hell, if you're
> concerned about using non-petroleum based lubricants, I understand that
> transmission fluid is like a buck a gallon or something, and that works
just
> as well. Go to the lubricants aisle of your local hardware store and do
the
> pinata turn and just jab at the shelf, you'll pick something out that
works
> just fine for about a tenth the price of paintball gun oil.
>
> --
> Jeff Goslin - MCSD
> It's not a god complex when you're always right
> http://www.goslin.info

02 Sep 2003 23:43:08
Daniel Martin
Re: Marker Oil

Great for stuck windshield wiper mechansim, dryers that squeek, and locks,
actually freakin awsome on sticky locks!

Dan

"Michael Hughes" <dapaintschmuck**IZASEXYBEAST**@rcn.com > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> K-mart
>
> Hoppes Gun Oil
> 3 bucks.
>
> "phroboi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:310820031310177935%[email protected]
> > The local paintball store around here sells the 1 oz. bottles of gun
> > oil for $6.00 a pop. I'd rather buy 36 cans of soda for that much, at
> > least I can drink that. My question is this. I have a 4 oz. can of
> > Elmer's Slide-All Dry Spray Lubricant lying around and was thinking
> > that might work. Thoughts/suggestions about my solution or other
> > solutions you guys have come up with.
> K-mart
>
> Hoppes Gun Oil
> 3 bucks.
>
> "phroboi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:310820031310177935%[email protected]
> > The local paintball store around here sells the 1 oz. bottles of gun
> > oil for $6.00 a pop. I'd rather buy 36 cans of soda for that much, at
> > least I can drink that. My question is this. I have a 4 oz. can of
> > Elmer's Slide-All Dry Spray Lubricant lying around and was thinking
> > that might work. Thoughts/suggestions about my solution or other
> > solutions you guys have come up with.

03 Sep 2003 15:45:19
Insane Ranter
Re: Marker Oil

Alrighty then

"Michael Hughes" <dapaintschmuck**IZASEXYBEAST**@rcn.com > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> normal gun oil wont eat o rings, WD40 will.
>

> "Insane Ranter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > "Nick W." <nick**please-remove-this-part**@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > > Is there any reason you can't use regular gun oil? Thats what I use
and
> > it
> > > seems to work just fine.
> >
> > You basically don't want to use anything that will eat o=rings
> >

> normal gun oil wont eat o rings, WD40 will.
>

> "Insane Ranter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > "Nick W." <nick**please-remove-this-part**@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > > Is there any reason you can't use regular gun oil? Thats what I use
and
> > it
> > > seems to work just fine.
> >
> > You basically don't want to use anything that will eat o=rings

05 Sep 2003 10:45:20
Chris Phillipo
Re: Marker Oil

In article <310820031310177935%[email protected] >, [email protected]
says...
> The local paintball store around here sells the 1 oz. bottles of gun
> oil for $6.00 a pop. I'd rather buy 36 cans of soda for that much, at
> least I can drink that. My question is this. I have a 4 oz. can of
> Elmer's Slide-All Dry Spray Lubricant lying around and was thinking
> that might work. Thoughts/suggestions about my solution or other
> solutions you guys have come up with.

You can get a liter of air tool oil for about $6. If you're cheap
that's the way to go. A $6, 1 oz. bottle of paintball gun oil should
last a year or more though.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

05 Sep 2003 10:48:51
Chris Phillipo
Re: Marker Oil

In article <[email protected] >, [email protected]
says...
> "phroboi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:310820031310177935%[email protected]
> > The local paintball store around here sells the 1 oz. bottles of gun
> > oil for $6.00 a pop. I'd rather buy 36 cans of soda for that much, at
> > least I can drink that. My question is this. I have a 4 oz. can of
> > Elmer's Slide-All Dry Spray Lubricant lying around and was thinking
> > that might work. Thoughts/suggestions about my solution or other
> > solutions you guys have come up with.
>
> You're going to hear a lot of things from the paintball community on this
> one, but I'm going to chime in on a "low end marker" perspective, not
> including all those high end fancy schmancy electronic guns and whatnot: if
> it lubricates, it's good enough.
>
> Bottom line here: I have *NEVER* had to change an oring because it was
> wildly misshapen by petroleum based oil exposure. Every o-ring I've had to
> change was a direct result of damage from the use of the marker and NOT from
> being snagged because it was too big from swelling.

If you have black rubber ones like on the bolt of the PMI Black Maxx
well you'll see some big time degradation, sort of like when the
Andromeda strain ate the bio seals in the Wildfire lab. But this
happens with any petroleum based oil, including so called paintball
oils. I replace these o-rings with urethane o-rings on every gun I've
sold anyway, there's just no excuse for PMI cheaping out this way.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

05 Sep 2003 19:33:03
Jeff Goslin
Re: Marker Oil

"Chris Phillipo" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> > Bottom line here: I have *NEVER* had to change an oring because it was
> > wildly misshapen by petroleum based oil exposure. Every o-ring I've had
> > change was a direct result of damage from the use of the marker and NOT
from
> > being snagged because it was too big from swelling.
>
> If you have black rubber ones like on the bolt of the PMI Black Maxx
> well you'll see some big time degradation, sort of like when the

Perhaps. Then again, I've never owned a paintball gun that was SO cheap as
to use black rubber orings for pretty much anything. Even my tippmann and
spyder guns have all used the urethane orings.

OTOH When you get to the level of using a gun that has black rubber orings,
I think that keeping it operational for long enough for an oring to puke is
the least of your worries. I'd be more worried about the plastic used in
the grip and whatnot breaking.

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD
http://www.goslin.info