27 Apr 2006 15:58:42
Roy Hall
Flatline Barrel - Help improving performance???

I just installed a flatline on my A-5. Installation was quick and easy.
The first test shots here at home ended with no broken balls in the barrel,
but the shots flew all over the place and often did not seem to have any
greater distance than the JJ Ceramic I just took off.

Anyone have any good tips on how to fine tune this barrel to make work more
consistently?

Thanks!

27 Apr 2006 20:17:47
Matt
Re: Flatline Barrel - Help improving performance???

Roy Hall wrote:
> I just installed a flatline on my A-5. Installation was quick and easy.
> The first test shots here at home ended with no broken balls in the barrel,
> but the shots flew all over the place and often did not seem to have any
> greater distance than the JJ Ceramic I just took off.
>
> Anyone have any good tips on how to fine tune this barrel to make work more
> consistently?
>
> Thanks!

On the A5, it's mostly time. Once it's broken in (a case or so) the
rough coating inside smoothes slightly, and you have to turn up the
velocity to get the same spin, but the combined effect is a longer
range. Honestly, i haven't noticed the shots having much more 'useful'
range. It's just flatter, which is a great help in the brush.

As for the fliers, you're stuck with good paint now, in low wind. PMI
Premium's what I use, and that's always fresh.

Flatlines are a 'love it or hate it' thing. You'll either get used to it
and/or get a good barrel and paint going, or you won't, and will end up
selling it unsatisfied. I personally love mine, on a day with good paint
and still air. Other days, I move back to my 3A kit.

--
Please note that due to cuts in the budget, the light at the end of the
tunnel has been disconnected.

27 Apr 2006 21:09:42
Dave Lyon
Re: Flatline Barrel - Help improving performance???

> As for the fliers, you're stuck with good paint now, in low wind. PMI
> Premium's what I use, and that's always fresh.

Yep, you gotta use good round paint in a flatline, or you'll never have to
shots even near the same place. You also have to watch the wind and the
humidity. On those days that a flatline wants to work well, they are a lot
of fun. If everything isn't quite right, they are a pain.

Also, make sure you hold the gun straight up and down, if you tilt it to one
side, the ball will curve.
Most people have better luck with the velocity between 265 and 285.

27 Apr 2006 17:55:00
Hardtime
Re: Flatline Barrel - Help improving performance???

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 20:17:47 GMT, Matt <[email protected] >
wrote:

>Roy Hall wrote:
>> I just installed a flatline on my A-5. Installation was quick and easy.
>> The first test shots here at home ended with no broken balls in the barrel,
>> but the shots flew all over the place and often did not seem to have any
>> greater distance than the JJ Ceramic I just took off.
>>
>> Anyone have any good tips on how to fine tune this barrel to make work more
>> consistently?
>>
>> Thanks!

>On the A5, it's mostly time. Once it's broken in (a case or so) the
>rough coating inside smoothes slightly, and you have to turn up the
>velocity to get the same spin, but the combined effect is a longer
>range. Honestly, i haven't noticed the shots having much more 'useful'
>range. It's just flatter, which is a great help in the brush.
>
>As for the fliers, you're stuck with good paint now, in low wind. PMI
>Premium's what I use, and that's always fresh.
>
>Flatlines are a 'love it or hate it' thing. You'll either get used to it
>and/or get a good barrel and paint going, or you won't, and will end up
>selling it unsatisfied. I personally love mine, on a day with good paint
>and still air. Other days, I move back to my 3A kit.

You now have the most finicky barrel on your marker but I still love
it. I have two for 98/customs and 1 for my A-5 (see my signature
link). Your velocity should be between 275-295 for best use and you
have to use good paint. I mean the paint with no dimples or rough
seems and the more rounded paint with good fill. Otherwise when the
ball is spun backwards it will have very weird and abrupt flight
characteristics. I can tell my velocity just by the flight path of my
paintballs.

Here is a couple of old threads that more than cover it the topic:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.paintball/browse_thread/thread/8263d9a50889dfac/00fc626336a9db12?q=Flatline+AND+Hardtime&rnum=11#00fc626336a9db12

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.paintball/browse_thread/thread/eb8dae740c58104/4a1a61b36f3c4ae1?q=Flatline+AND+Hardtime&rnum=2#4a1a61b36f3c4ae1

(`._Hardtime_.)

http://geocities.com/arcticjohn88/arcticjohn88

27 Apr 2006 18:02:30
Hardtime
Re: Flatline Barrel - Help improving performance???

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 21:09:42 GMT, "Dave Lyon" <[email protected] >
wrote:

>> As for the fliers, you're stuck with good paint now, in low wind. PMI
>> Premium's what I use, and that's always fresh.
>>

>Yep, you gotta use good round paint in a flatline, or you'll never have to
>shots even near the same place. You also have to watch the wind and the
>humidity. On those days that a flatline wants to work well, they are a lot
>of fun. If everything isn't quite right, they are a pain.

It adds to some very interesting shots.

>Also, make sure you hold the gun straight up and down, if you tilt it to one
>side, the ball will curve.

Which can be very good for angling behind bunkers and such. ;-)

>Most people have better luck with the velocity between 265 and 285.

Mine on my A-5 likes between 276-292fps. It is a little different
between barrel manufacturing runs (I am guessing but makes sense, to
me).

(`._Hardtime_.)

http://geocities.com/arcticjohn88/arcticjohn88

27 Apr 2006 15:16:24
Tony Sr.
Re: Flatline Barrel - Help improving performance???

forget all that flatline shit...get a Dye ultralite and be done with it.
"Hardtime" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 20:17:47 GMT, Matt <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Roy Hall wrote:
> >> I just installed a flatline on my A-5. Installation was quick and
easy.
> >> The first test shots here at home ended with no broken balls in the
barrel,
> >> but the shots flew all over the place and often did not seem to have
any
> >> greater distance than the JJ Ceramic I just took off.
> >>
> >> Anyone have any good tips on how to fine tune this barrel to make work
more
> >> consistently?
> >>
> >> Thanks!
>
> >On the A5, it's mostly time. Once it's broken in (a case or so) the
> >rough coating inside smoothes slightly, and you have to turn up the
> >velocity to get the same spin, but the combined effect is a longer
> >range. Honestly, i haven't noticed the shots having much more 'useful'
> >range. It's just flatter, which is a great help in the brush.
> >
> >As for the fliers, you're stuck with good paint now, in low wind. PMI
> >Premium's what I use, and that's always fresh.
> >
> >Flatlines are a 'love it or hate it' thing. You'll either get used to it
> >and/or get a good barrel and paint going, or you won't, and will end up
> >selling it unsatisfied. I personally love mine, on a day with good paint
> >and still air. Other days, I move back to my 3A kit.
>
> You now have the most finicky barrel on your marker but I still love
> it. I have two for 98/customs and 1 for my A-5 (see my signature
> link). Your velocity should be between 275-295 for best use and you
> have to use good paint. I mean the paint with no dimples or rough
> seems and the more rounded paint with good fill. Otherwise when the
> ball is spun backwards it will have very weird and abrupt flight
> characteristics. I can tell my velocity just by the flight path of my
> paintballs.
>
> Here is a couple of old threads that more than cover it the topic:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.paintball/browse_thread/thread/8263d9a50889dfac/00fc626336a9db12?q=Flatline+AND+Hardtime&rnum=11#00fc626336a9db12

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.paintball/browse_thread/thread/eb8dae740c58104/4a1a61b36f3c4ae1?q=Flatline+AND+Hardtime&rnum=2#4a1a61b36f3c4ae1

> (`._Hardtime_.)
>
> http://geocities.com/arcticjohn88/arcticjohn88

27 Apr 2006 22:19:41
unforgiven 33
Re: Flatline Barrel - Help improving performance???

basiclly i think it just comes down to you getting used to it. take some
time shooting it and let yourself become accustomed to it. couple cases
of paint on the target dummies and you'll find wht works for ya.

remember... use the force. the force is with you

http://community.webtv.net/ChoongJung/LongBranchPaintBall

27 Apr 2006 22:16:56
unforgiven 33
Re: Flatline Barrel - Help improving performance???

i have a 20 inch j&j ceramic on my pro-lite and a flatline on an a-5.
the threads are the same so at times i place the j&j on the a-5. not
much difference in length of shot. some noise difference. actually i
tend to be a bit more accurate with the j&j. however, with the flatline,
i can shoot straighter lines through the brush (i'm a woodsballer). a
good thing this time of year when it's so leafy and everything is all
blooming. i keep my a-5 as close to 280 fps as possible same with the
pro-lite. i shoot anarchy or hemorage paint too.

http://community.webtv.net/ChoongJung/LongBranchPaintBall

28 Apr 2006 14:51:30
Hardtime
Re: Flatline Barrel - Help improving performance???

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:16:24 -0700, "Tony Sr." <[email protected] >
wrote:

>forget all that flatline shit...get a Dye ultralite and be done with it.

I was watching the ESPN coverage and saw a lot of Dye Ultralite not
shooting that straight. I saw a lot of Matrix's shooting around a lot
also. That ESPN coverage is the best coverage of any paintball event
I have seen thus far on television.

(`._Hardtime_.)

http://geocities.com/arcticjohn88/arcticjohn88

28 Apr 2006 21:17:01

Hardtime wrote:

> I was watching the ESPN coverage and saw a lot of Dye Ultralite not
> shooting that straight. I saw a lot of Matrix's shooting around a lot
> also. That ESPN coverage is the best coverage of any paintball event
> I have seen thus far on television.
>

> (`._Hardtime_.)
>
> http://geocities.com/arcticjohn88/arcticjohn88

Dye makes good stuff, including barrels. IMO it's still overpriced and
overhyped, but it's good nonetheless.

Most of the weird shooting in tournaments is caused by broken balls or
junk in the barrel. Yes, all the 'guns have eyes, but you're still
diving around like a lemur on a bad trip, and bound to crack a few balls
in your pods, and those eyes still see them. Thus, oily barrel.

--
Please note that due to cuts in the budget, the light at the end of the
tunnel has been disconnected.
--Management

28 Apr 2006 20:25:03
Tony Sr.
Re: Flatline Barrel - Help improving performance???

glad you enjoy the coverage unforgivin ....and Matt thx for clearing up the
accurate issue...
"Matt" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hardtime wrote:
>
> > I was watching the ESPN coverage and saw a lot of Dye Ultralite not
> > shooting that straight. I saw a lot of Matrix's shooting around a lot
> > also. That ESPN coverage is the best coverage of any paintball event
> > I have seen thus far on television.
> >

> > (`._Hardtime_.)
> >
> > http://geocities.com/arcticjohn88/arcticjohn88
> >

> Dye makes good stuff, including barrels. IMO it's still overpriced and
> overhyped, but it's good nonetheless.
>
> Most of the weird shooting in tournaments is caused by broken balls or
> junk in the barrel. Yes, all the 'guns have eyes, but you're still
> diving around like a lemur on a bad trip, and bound to crack a few balls
> in your pods, and those eyes still see them. Thus, oily barrel.
>
> --
> Please note that due to cuts in the budget, the light at the end of the
> tunnel has been disconnected.
> --Management

29 Apr 2006 16:49:12
Hardtime
Re: Flatline Barrel - Help improving performance???

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 20:25:03 -0700, "Tony Sr." <[email protected] >
wrote:

>glad you enjoy the coverage unforgivin ....and Matt thx for clearing up the
>accurate issue...
>"Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>> Hardtime wrote:
>>
>> > I was watching the ESPN coverage and saw a lot of Dye Ultralite not
>> > shooting that straight. I saw a lot of Matrix's shooting around a lot
>> > also. That ESPN coverage is the best coverage of any paintball event
>> > I have seen thus far on television.
>> >

>> > (`._Hardtime_.)
>> >
>> > http://geocities.com/arcticjohn88/arcticjohn88
>> >

>> Dye makes good stuff, including barrels. IMO it's still overpriced and
>> overhyped, but it's good nonetheless.
>>
>> Most of the weird shooting in tournaments is caused by broken balls or
>> junk in the barrel. Yes, all the 'guns have eyes, but you're still
>> diving around like a lemur on a bad trip, and bound to crack a few balls
>> in your pods, and those eyes still see them. Thus, oily barrel.

I thought eyes helped to prevent chops?

I am sorry I do not play paid competition/tourney environment. I do
play local tourney's and do so quite well if I say so myself. I use
my A-5 and never worry about chops. The only time I see chops is when
I use wet paint (I use a hose to clean my marker :-)) due to my own
fault or get some grass into my barrel (that is not chops but just a
mess ;-)) between barricades while running and dodging or stealthily
getting around. LOL

(`._Hardtime_.)

http://geocities.com/arcticjohn88/arcticjohn88

30 Apr 2006 05:49:06

Hardtime wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 20:25:03 -0700, "Tony Sr." <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>glad you enjoy the coverage unforgivin ....and Matt thx for clearing up the
>>accurate issue...
>>"Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]

>>>Dye makes good stuff, including barrels. IMO it's still overpriced and
>>>overhyped, but it's good nonetheless.
>>>
>>>Most of the weird shooting in tournaments is caused by broken balls or
>>>junk in the barrel. Yes, all the 'guns have eyes, but you're still
>>>diving around like a lemur on a bad trip, and bound to crack a few balls
>>>in your pods, and those eyes still see them. Thus, oily barrel.
>

> I thought eyes helped to prevent chops?
>
> I am sorry I do not play paid competition/tourney environment. I do
> play local tourney's and do so quite well if I say so myself. I use
> my A-5 and never worry about chops. The only time I see chops is when
> I use wet paint (I use a hose to clean my marker :-)) due to my own
> fault or get some grass into my barrel (that is not chops but just a
> mess ;-)) between barricades while running and dodging or stealthily
> getting around. LOL
>

> (`._Hardtime_.)
>
> http://geocities.com/arcticjohn88/arcticjohn88

Yes, eyes prevent chops. Not from shooting balls that are already broken.

And I quote: "...but you're still diving around like a lemur on a bad
trip, and bound to crack a few balls in your pods..." Ahem. ;)

--
Please note that due to cuts in the budget, the light at the end of the
tunnel has been disconnected.
--Management

30 Apr 2006 12:28:30
Hardtime
Re: Flatline Barrel - Help improving performance???

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 05:49:06 GMT, Matt <[email protected] >
wrote:
>Yes, eyes prevent chops. Not from shooting balls that are already broken.
>
>And I quote: "...but you're still diving around like a lemur on a bad
>trip, and bound to crack a few balls in your pods..." Ahem. ;)

I have not had the problem with breaking balls in my hopper/cyclone
yet. Maybe that star drive cyclone helps to prevent issues like that
little spinner wand like a lot of feeders use?