29 Jun 2006 14:52:55
Just a Hacker (Used to be 18H)
how long is too long?

I have a pal who's buying a new set of custom clubs and they're making
them 3 1/2 inches longer than standard. He's 6'3" and thinks this
sounds right, although I'd swear I'd read somewhere that Ernie Els has
a driver that's about an inch longer than standard, maybe 46"?

Does anybody know Ernie's numbers, or if 3 1/2 inches over sounds like
a lot?

Hack

29 Jun 2006 18:00:31
sfb
Re: how long is too long?

It isn't clear that Ernie's driver length would be a good comparison. The
maximum club length is 48". A nominal driver length is 45" so plus 3 1/2"
would be illegal.

"Just a Hacker (Used to be 18H)" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I have a pal who's buying a new set of custom clubs and they're making
> them 3 1/2 inches longer than standard. He's 6'3" and thinks this
> sounds right, although I'd swear I'd read somewhere that Ernie Els has
> a driver that's about an inch longer than standard, maybe 46"?
>
> Does anybody know Ernie's numbers, or if 3 1/2 inches over sounds like
> a lot?
>
> Hack

29 Jun 2006 22:40:22
DJD
Re: how long is too long?

Just a Hacker (Used to be 18H) wrote:
> I have a pal who's buying a new set of custom clubs and they're making
> them 3 1/2 inches longer than standard. He's 6'3" and thinks this
> sounds right, although I'd swear I'd read somewhere that Ernie Els has
> a driver that's about an inch longer than standard, maybe 46"?
>
> Does anybody know Ernie's numbers, or if 3 1/2 inches over sounds like
> a lot?
>
> Hack

Unless he has exceptionally short arms, clubs 3.5" over-length is *way*
too long. Even if he does have very short arms, 3.5" is too much, his 7
iron will be the same length as a standard 1 iron. Also, the swing
weight of those clubs will be real high, like F9 of maybe even into the
H's. Standard clubs are typically in the C9 to D3 range. It sounds like
they just add 1" to the club length for every inch over average height,
which is absolutely the wrong way to determine the correct club length.

The proper way is to measure the distance from the crease of the
wrist(s) to the floor when standing upright with the arms hanging
relaxed at your sides. Because taller people also tend to have longer
arms, it is very common for tall people to be fitted perfectly well with
'standard' length clubs or just .25" to .5" over-length.

Regardless of his height, 45" is about as long as a driver should be,
unless he is a professional long driver. Anything over 45" becomes much
more difficult to control and the gain in distance usually isn't worth
the loss of accuracy. Even tall touring pros rarely have drivers longer
than 45" and a lot of them are using 44" drivers.

--
Dan Driscoll
RSG FAQ: http://ttsoft.com/thor/rsggolf.html

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

29 Jun 2006 22:48:55
jeffc
Re: how long is too long?

"Just a Hacker (Used to be 18H)" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I have a pal who's buying a new set of custom clubs and they're making
> them 3 1/2 inches longer than standard. He's 6'3" and thinks this
> sounds right...

I think it sounds completely ridiculous.

29 Jun 2006 22:56:37
Alan Baker
Re: how long is too long?

In article <[email protected] >,
"Just a Hacker (Used to be 18H)" <[email protected] > wrote:

> I have a pal who's buying a new set of custom clubs and they're making
> them 3 1/2 inches longer than standard. He's 6'3" and thinks this
> sounds right, although I'd swear I'd read somewhere that Ernie Els has
> a driver that's about an inch longer than standard, maybe 46"?
>
> Does anybody know Ernie's numbers, or if 3 1/2 inches over sounds like
> a lot?
>
> Hack

Assume that the regular length golf club is intend for males of average
height. The average height in the U.S. is 69" (5' 9"). So, all else
being equal, someone who is 75" tall is going to need clubs that are a
little less than 9% longer than standard. Or for a 44" driver, about
3.5" longer.

30 Jun 2006 09:24:13
david s-a
Re: how long is too long?

Just a Hacker (Used to be 18H) wrote:
> I have a pal who's buying a new set of custom clubs and they're making
> them 3 1/2 inches longer than standard. He's 6'3" and thinks this
> sounds right, although I'd swear I'd read somewhere that Ernie Els has
> a driver that's about an inch longer than standard, maybe 46"?
>
> Does anybody know Ernie's numbers, or if 3 1/2 inches over sounds like
> a lot?
>
> Hack

Ernie's driver is said to be 44" only...nothing to do with his height.
It is all part of the general preference towards traditional length
drivers to retain control. Very few pros playing anything over 44"
these days. Tiger is now said to be playing longer shafts under pressure
from Nike...but of course, he's lost control hasn't he! What was
it...55% fairways hit last year?

cheers
david

29 Jun 2006 23:34:10
Alan Baker
Re: how long is too long?

In article <[email protected] >,
Zuke <[email protected] > wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Alan Baker wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Just a Hacker (Used to be 18H)" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> I have a pal who's buying a new set of custom clubs and they're making
> >> them 3 1/2 inches longer than standard. He's 6'3" and thinks this
> >> sounds right, although I'd swear I'd read somewhere that Ernie Els has
> >> a driver that's about an inch longer than standard, maybe 46"?
> >>
> >> Does anybody know Ernie's numbers, or if 3 1/2 inches over sounds like
> >> a lot?
> >>
> >> Hack
> >
> > Assume that the regular length golf club is intend for males of average
> > height. The average height in the U.S. is 69" (5' 9"). So, all else
> > being equal, someone who is 75" tall is going to need clubs that are a
> > little less than 9% longer than standard. Or for a 44" driver, about
> > 3.5" longer.
> >

> That sounds correct if you are swinging using the top of your skull.
> Please post pictures.

Nope. It's simple basic geometry.

> Most shaft length measurements are from where your hands hang down.

And that measurement scales up in proportion to the overall scale of the
human whose hands are doing the hanging. <g >

29 Jun 2006 19:04:12
Zuke
Re: how long is too long?

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Alan Baker wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Just a Hacker (Used to be 18H)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I have a pal who's buying a new set of custom clubs and they're making
>> them 3 1/2 inches longer than standard. He's 6'3" and thinks this
>> sounds right, although I'd swear I'd read somewhere that Ernie Els has
>> a driver that's about an inch longer than standard, maybe 46"?
>>
>> Does anybody know Ernie's numbers, or if 3 1/2 inches over sounds like
>> a lot?
>>
>> Hack
>
> Assume that the regular length golf club is intend for males of average
> height. The average height in the U.S. is 69" (5' 9"). So, all else
> being equal, someone who is 75" tall is going to need clubs that are a
> little less than 9% longer than standard. Or for a 44" driver, about
> 3.5" longer.

That sounds correct if you are swinging using the top of your skull.
Please post pictures.

Most shaft length measurements are from where your hands hang down.

29 Jun 2006 19:43:45
Mike Dalecki
Re: how long is too long?

Just a Hacker (Used to be 18H) wrote:
> I have a pal who's buying a new set of custom clubs and they're making
> them 3 1/2 inches longer than standard. He's 6'3" and thinks this
> sounds right, although I'd swear I'd read somewhere that Ernie Els has
> a driver that's about an inch longer than standard, maybe 46"?
>
> Does anybody know Ernie's numbers, or if 3 1/2 inches over sounds like
> a lot?
>
> Hack

3 1/2 inches over standard is huge. Does he not bend over? What's his
story?

Of course, maybe it's the standard. Since there really is no "standard"
out there, it's hard to tell what "standard" means.

But even if it's referenced against a 37.5" 5-iron--a length that is not
long by today's standards--then you're talking about a 41" 5-iron.
That, my friend, is not only long, but it probably swingweights out to
something like F5.

So I think there's something wrong with this scenario. A 37.5" 5-iron
would come in at around D0 on swingweight, with standard weight shaft,
head, grip.

For every 1/2" you add to a club, you add about 3 SW points. You can
mitigate that a bit by using lighter shafts (graphite, light steel), but
even then, I can't imagine something like this swingweighting out
lighter than in the E- zone someplace.

One misnomer about taller people needing much longer irons is that while
it might be necessary, taller people also tend to have longer
arms--which obviates much of the need, if not all of it, to have longer
clubs made.

Mike

Mike Dalecki GCA Accredited Clubmaker http://clubdoctor.com
RSG-Wisconsin 2006: June 23-25 Info: http://dalecki.net/rsgwis2006/
RSG-Wisconsin 2005 Pics: http://dalecki.net/rsgwis2005/pics/

29 Jun 2006 17:47:28
long&left
Re: how long is too long?

Alan Baker wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Zuke <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Alan Baker wrote:

>>>Assume that the regular length golf club is intend for males of average
>>>height. The average height in the U.S. is 69" (5' 9"). So, all else
>>>being equal, someone who is 75" tall is going to need clubs that are a
>>>little less than 9% longer than standard. Or for a 44" driver, about
>>>3.5" longer.
>>>

>>That sounds correct if you are swinging using the top of your skull.
>>Please post pictures.
>

> Nope. It's simple basic geometry.
>

>>Most shaft length measurements are from where your hands hang down.
>

> And that measurement scales up in proportion to the overall scale of the
> human whose hands are doing the hanging. <g>

watch it Alan, you're starting to sound like Lllarry

:)
just kidding

--
Dave
You are meant to play the ball as it lies, a fact that may help to touch

29 Jun 2006 18:02:31
Just a Hacker (Used to be 18H)
Re: how long is too long?

DJD wrote:

Thanks not just to Dan, but to everyone who replied. I told my pal to
get another fitting with someone else.

Cheers,
Hack

29 Jun 2006 20:13:09
Mike Dalecki
Re: how long is too long?

Zuke wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Alan Baker wrote:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> "Just a Hacker (Used to be 18H)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a pal who's buying a new set of custom clubs and they're making
>>> them 3 1/2 inches longer than standard. He's 6'3" and thinks this
>>> sounds right, although I'd swear I'd read somewhere that Ernie Els has
>>> a driver that's about an inch longer than standard, maybe 46"?
>>>
>>> Does anybody know Ernie's numbers, or if 3 1/2 inches over sounds like
>>> a lot?
>>>
>>> Hack
>>

>> Assume that the regular length golf club is intend for males of average
>> height. The average height in the U.S. is 69" (5' 9"). So, all else
>> being equal, someone who is 75" tall is going to need clubs that are a
>> little less than 9% longer than standard. Or for a 44" driver, about
>> 3.5" longer.
>>

> That sounds correct if you are swinging using the top of your skull.
> Please post pictures.
>
> Most shaft length measurements are from where your hands hang down.

And since taller people tend to have longer arms....there isn't as much
lengthening necessary as you'd think.

Mike

Mike Dalecki GCA Accredited Clubmaker http://clubdoctor.com
RSG-Wisconsin 2006: June 23-25 Info: http://dalecki.net/rsgwis2006/
RSG-Wisconsin 2005 Pics: http://dalecki.net/rsgwis2005/pics/

29 Jun 2006 18:29:36
long&left
Re: how long is too long?

Mike Dalecki wrote:
> Zuke wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Alan Baker wrote:

>>> Assume that the regular length golf club is intend for males of average
>>> height. The average height in the U.S. is 69" (5' 9"). So, all else
>>> being equal, someone who is 75" tall is going to need clubs that are a
>>> little less than 9% longer than standard. Or for a 44" driver, about
>>> 3.5" longer.
>>>

>> That sounds correct if you are swinging using the top of your skull.
>> Please post pictures.
>>
>> Most shaft length measurements are from where your hands hang down.
>>

> And since taller people tend to have longer arms....there isn't as much
> lengthening necessary as you'd think.
>
> Mike

agreed, I'm 6'-3" tall and my clubs are 1" over. Of course my knuckles
do drag on the ground :)
--
Dave
You are meant to play the ball as it lies, a fact that may help to touch
on your own objective approach to life. ~Grantland Rice

30 Jun 2006 03:25:51
Alan Baker
Re: how long is too long?

In article <[email protected] >,
long&left <[email protected] > wrote:

> Alan Baker wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Zuke <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>That sounds correct if you are swinging using the top of your skull.
> >>Please post pictures.
> >

> > Nope. It's simple basic geometry.
> >

> >>Most shaft length measurements are from where your hands hang down.
> >

> > And that measurement scales up in proportion to the overall scale of the
> > human whose hands are doing the hanging. <g>
>
> watch it Alan, you're starting to sound like Lllarry

Them thar's fightin' werds!

> :)
> just kidding

;-)

30 Jun 2006 03:27:22
Alan Baker
Re: how long is too long?

In article <[email protected] >,
Mike Dalecki <[email protected] > wrote:

> Zuke wrote:
> > On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Alan Baker wrote:

> >> Assume that the regular length golf club is intend for males of average
> >> height. The average height in the U.S. is 69" (5' 9"). So, all else
> >> being equal, someone who is 75" tall is going to need clubs that are a
> >> little less than 9% longer than standard. Or for a 44" driver, about
> >> 3.5" longer.
> >>

> > That sounds correct if you are swinging using the top of your skull.
> > Please post pictures.
> >
> > Most shaft length measurements are from where your hands hang down.
> >

> And since taller people tend to have longer arms....there isn't as much
> lengthening necessary as you'd think.
>
> Mike

They tend to have longer arms in pretty much precise proportion to their
overall height difference.

When you scale something up, you scale *everything*. So, yes, the arms
get longer, but they hang from the top of the torso which is on top of
the legs, both of which also got longer.

30 Jun 2006 03:27:45
Alan Baker
Re: how long is too long?

In article <Q7%[email protected] >,
long&left <[email protected] > wrote:

> Mike Dalecki wrote:
> > Zuke wrote:

> >> That sounds correct if you are swinging using the top of your skull.
> >> Please post pictures.
> >>
> >> Most shaft length measurements are from where your hands hang down.
> >>

> > And since taller people tend to have longer arms....there isn't as much
> > lengthening necessary as you'd think.
> >
> > Mike
> >

> agreed, I'm 6'-3" tall and my clubs are 1" over. Of course my knuckles
> do drag on the ground :)

I bet they're also a couple of degrees upright...

29 Jun 2006 21:09:44
long&left
Re: how long is too long?

Alan Baker wrote:
> In article <Q7%[email protected]>,
> long&left <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Mike Dalecki wrote:

>>>And since taller people tend to have longer arms....there isn't as much
>>>lengthening necessary as you'd think.
>>>
>>>Mike
>>>

>>agreed, I'm 6'-3" tall and my clubs are 1" over. Of course my knuckles
>>do drag on the ground :)
>

> I bet they're also a couple of degrees upright...

exactly 2* upright to be exact :)
--
Dave
You are meant to play the ball as it lies, a fact that may help to touch
on your own objective approach to life. ~Grantland Rice

29 Jun 2006 23:08:41
Re: how long is too long?

If he is having clubs custom-made by a competent clubmaker, then you go
by the numbers.

"standard" clubs will usually satisfy the measurements of a golfer
that's within the range of 5' 10" - 6' 2" in height.

the customer might have a build / need for the club length you
mentioned.

>mho
>v fe

>"reduced driving habits - conserves gasoline"

30 Jun 2006 06:20:50
Alan Baker
Re: how long is too long?

In article <[email protected] >,
long&left <[email protected] > wrote:

> Alan Baker wrote:
> > In article <Q7%[email protected]>,
> > long&left <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>agreed, I'm 6'-3" tall and my clubs are 1" over. Of course my knuckles
> >>do drag on the ground :)
> >

> > I bet they're also a couple of degrees upright...
>
> exactly 2* upright to be exact :)

Which very nicely proves my point.

Since they're only about 5% longer than regular when you are more like
10% taller, you end up with the clubs touching the ground nearer your
feet!

30 Jun 2006 06:31:57
long&left
Re: how long is too long?

Alan Baker wrote:
(snip)

>>>I bet they're also a couple of degrees upright...
>>
>>exactly 2* upright to be exact :)
>

> Which very nicely proves my point.
>
> Since they're only about 5% longer than regular when you are more like
> 10% taller, you end up with the clubs touching the ground nearer your
> feet!

the guy that was fitted for 3 1/2" over must either have really short
arms or stand really really tall at address. I don't even know how
someone could be fitted for that shaft length as in all of the club
racks I've seen at fittings the longest shaft is 1 1/2" over

--
Dave
You are meant to play the ball as it lies, a fact that may help to touch
on your own objective approach to life. ~Grantland Rice

30 Jun 2006 08:51:34
Hero
Re: how long is too long?

3 1/2"..??? That sounds far toooo long IMO. I'm 6'4 and I use normal
length clubs but jumbo grips. As another posted stated.. unless he has
"exceptionally" short arms.. he's not fitted properly IMO. For example,
I have a long torso.. so I need to bend from the hips more and stick my
butt out more for counter balance.

Remember, the longer the irons.. the more upright you will have to
swing. Why?? becasue longer irons require you to stand taller, upright
lie angle.. even more so. Now if we're talking woods only.. that may be
preference.. as you will be actually swinging flatter & just further
from the ball.

Just a Hacker (Used to be 18H) wrote:
> I have a pal who's buying a new set of custom clubs and they're making
> them 3 1/2 inches longer than standard. He's 6'3" and thinks this
> sounds right, although I'd swear I'd read somewhere that Ernie Els has
> a driver that's about an inch longer than standard, maybe 46"?
>
> Does anybody know Ernie's numbers, or if 3 1/2 inches over sounds like
> a lot?
>
> Hack

30 Jun 2006 12:10:11
Zuke
Re: how long is too long?

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, Alan Baker wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> long&left <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Alan Baker wrote:

>>> I bet they're also a couple of degrees upright...
>>
>> exactly 2* upright to be exact :)
>
> Which very nicely proves my point.
>
> Since they're only about 5% longer than regular when you are more like
> 10% taller, you end up with the clubs touching the ground nearer your
> feet!

Knuckles dragging the floor would call for shorter clubs, not
longer clubs. Good thing you guys aren't tailors. We'd all
be wearing suits like that guy in Talking Heads.

01 Jul 2006 10:49:30
Irma Troll
Re: how long is too long?

Just a Hacker (Used to be 18H) wrote:
> I have a pal who's buying a new set of custom clubs and they're making
> them 3 1/2 inches longer than standard. He's 6'3" and thinks this
> sounds right, although I'd swear I'd read somewhere that Ernie Els has
> a driver that's about an inch longer than standard, maybe 46"?
>
> Does anybody know Ernie's numbers, or if 3 1/2 inches over sounds like
> a lot?
>
> Hack

Unless he is deformed, he's wasting his dough (like most golfers like to).
The important thing is the height from the ground of his hands - believe
it or not, this doesn't vary much with actual height, as taller people
have longer arms!
Irma

Anon
Re: how long is too long?

[email protected] wrote:
> "standard" clubs will usually satisfy the measurements of a golfer
> that's within the range of 5' 10" - 6' 2" in height.

I am 6'6" and want to learn to golf. I looked online and found a left
handed beginner set from Wilson; but it does not say if it will be good for
someone my height. If anyone has any advice - I can sure use it!