28 Feb 2005 14:52:18
Kenn Smith
Tournament Volunteer Question

I have volunteered to work the Champions Tour Kinko/FedEx Classic in
Austin, my first time as a tournament volunteer. There was a whole list
of area/activities I could volunteer forand I tentatively chose "Pracice
Tee and Green" figuring that it might be one of the best chances to
watch the players up close and personal..

Does anyone who has worked tournaments have any suggestions for other
interesting volunteer areas? I plan on taking my motor home down on
Sunday before tournament week and staying the entire week so I'll
probably have the opportunity to work other areas if I desire to do so.

28 Feb 2005 23:56:47
JoePete
Re: Tournament Volunteer Question

Kenn Smith wrote:

> I have volunteered to work the Champions Tour Kinko/FedEx Classic in
> Austin, my first time as a tournament volunteer. There was a whole list
> of area/activities I could volunteer forand I tentatively chose "Pracice
> Tee and Green" figuring that it might be one of the best chances to
> watch the players up close and personal..
>
> Does anyone who has worked tournaments have any suggestions for other
> interesting volunteer areas? I plan on taking my motor home down on
> Sunday before tournament week and staying the entire week so I'll
> probably have the opportunity to work other areas if I desire to do so.

Practice tee and green is a good pick. Plus once leaders make it to the
first tee, your work is done and you can enjoy watching the tournament.

Not sure of other good spots but I can tell you from personal
experience, I would avoid working any pro shop tents. You're inside, you
get a rush of people at the end of the day, and a lot of other chaos.

--
JoePete

28 Feb 2005 22:34:57
warren montgomery
Re: Tournament Volunteer Question

The practice range and putting green are good places to see players and
action. (My wife and I did this at US Open at Olympia Fields). Most
tournaments you have a choice of assignments. If you want to be on the
course, the thing to avoid is assignments that will be in tents or away from
the course (e.g. parking). Marshal is a nice job since you are inside the
ropes and involved in the action, but you also have the chance to screw up
(and to get hit), and you generally have to spend a long time in the sun.

Last year we worked on leaderboards for the Senior Open, which was a great
job, especially if you got the "throughboard, the listing of the players on
the hole -- 2 minutes of intense work to change the names and scores each
for each group but otherwise you are up above the crowd usually with a great
view of the green and often of other holes as well.

--
Warren Montgomery [email protected] (
http://home.att.net/~wamontgomery)

28 Feb 2005 20:58:42
Mike Bowen
Re: Tournament Volunteer Question

"Kenn Smith" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I have volunteered to work the Champions Tour Kinko/FedEx Classic in
> Austin, my first time as a tournament volunteer. There was a whole list
> of area/activities I could volunteer forand I tentatively chose "Pracice
> Tee and Green" figuring that it might be one of the best chances to
> watch the players up close and personal..
>
> Does anyone who has worked tournaments have any suggestions for other
> interesting volunteer areas? I plan on taking my motor home down on
> Sunday before tournament week and staying the entire week so I'll
> probably have the opportunity to work other areas if I desire to do so.

I have really enjoyed being a "Walking Scorer" and will be doing it for the
third time later this August at the Jeld-Wen Tradition. You follow and keep
score for one of the groups and then are free the rest of the day. I've
gotten to see some very fine rounds of golf.

Mike Bowen

02 Mar 2005 07:02:31
Miss Anne Thrope
Re: Tournament Volunteer Question

We're a lot alike. I once took a job at a Memphis pharmacy, so I could
get a look at Elvis, up close, and personal.