31 Jul 2006 06:26:54
Frankenshank
Rules Question re:putting

Is it legal to straddle the line of a putt to place & align the putter
face?
Then one would obviously assume the normal putting stance to
actually putt.

FrankenShank



31 Jul 2006 08:06:47
Sandman
Re: Rules Question re:putting



Frankenshank wrote:
> Is it legal to straddle the line of a putt to place & align the putter
> face?
> Then one would obviously assume the normal putting stance to
> actually putt.

I believe this is legal.

Speaking of rules, I heard a couple yesterday during the tourney that I
didn't know - someone was assuming a stance on the edge of the woods,
and his stance and backswing were affected by some low hanging
branches. The commentator mentioned that

(a) The player must go in to address his ball the way he would normally
do so (i.e., you couldn't walk way in front of the ball and then back
up over the ball so that the branches were held behind you by your
body). I might have known this, but didn't know that

(b) if during his practice swing(s), he broke off any of the branches,
then it incurred a penalty (don't know if 1 or 2 strokes, I'm assuming
1).

B



31 Jul 2006 08:12:36
Fairway
Re: Rules Question re:putting


Sandman wrote:
>
> (a) The player must go in to address his ball the way he would normally
> do so (i.e., you couldn't walk way in front of the ball and then back
> up over the ball so that the branches were held behind you by your
> body). I might have known this, but didn't know that
>
Interesting. Does it explicitly mean that you are not allowed to use
your body in any way to press down or force away branches that
otherwise would make it unable for you to swing the club? F



31 Jul 2006 10:31:17
Harrison Bergeron
Re: Rules Question re:putting

"Sandman" <[email protected] > writes:

> Frankenshank wrote:
> > Is it legal to straddle the line of a putt to place & align the putter
> > face?
> > Then one would obviously assume the normal putting stance to
> > actually putt.
>
> I believe this is legal.
>
> Speaking of rules, I heard a couple yesterday during the tourney that I
> didn't know - someone was assuming a stance on the edge of the woods,
> and his stance and backswing were affected by some low hanging
> branches. The commentator mentioned that
>
> (a) The player must go in to address his ball the way he would normally
> do so (i.e., you couldn't walk way in front of the ball and then back
> up over the ball so that the branches were held behind you by your
> body). I might have known this, but didn't know that
>
> (b) if during his practice swing(s), he broke off any of the branches,
> then it incurred a penalty (don't know if 1 or 2 strokes, I'm assuming
> 1).

Have a look at Decisions 13-2/1, 13-2/1.1, and 13-2/22 -- going to
the source is always better than listening to a TV commentator's
interpretation.

--


<-- Harry -- >


31 Jul 2006 15:34:25
Frank Ketchum
Re: Rules Question re:putting


"Fairway" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Interesting. Does it explicitly mean that you are not allowed to use
> your body in any way to press down or force away branches that
> otherwise would make it unable for you to swing the club? F
>

It is considered improving your area of intended stance or swing and is
illegal.

13-2 Improving Lie, Area of Intended Stance or Swing, or Line of Play

A player must not improve or allow to be improved:
. the position or lie of his ball,
. the area of his intended stance or swing,
. his line of play or a reasonable extension of that line beyond the hole,
or
. the area in which he is to drop or place a ball,
by any of the following actions:
. moving, bending or breaking anything growing or fixed (including
immovable obstructions and objects defining out of bounds),
. creating or eliminating irregularities of surface,
. removing or pressing down sand, loose soil, replaced divots or other cut
turf placed in position, or
. removing dew, frost or water.
However, the player incurs no penalty if the action occurs:
. in fairly taking his stance,
. in making a stroke or the backward movement of his club for a stroke and
the stroke is made,
. on the teeing ground in creating or eliminating irregularities of
surface (Rule 11-1), or
. on the putting green in removing sand and loose soil or in repairing
damage .(Rule 16-1).

- - -

You cannot move, bend break or move any branches to improve your stance or
swing. You can only do it by fairly taking your stance. Going out of your
way to back into a branch to move is not permitted.




31 Jul 2006 08:38:33
Fairway
Re: Rules Question re:putting


Frank Ketchum wrote:
> "Fairway" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Interesting. Does it explicitly mean that you are not allowed to use
> > your body in any way to press down or force away branches that
> > otherwise would make it unable for you to swing the club? F
> >
>
> It is considered improving your area of intended stance or swing and is
> illegal.
>
> 13-2 Improving Lie, Area of Intended Stance or Swing, or Line of Play
>
> A player must not improve or allow to be improved:
> . the position or lie of his ball,
> . the area of his intended stance or swing,
> . his line of play or a reasonable extension of that line beyond the hole,
> or
> . the area in which he is to drop or place a ball,
> by any of the following actions:
> . moving, bending or breaking anything growing or fixed (including
> immovable obstructions and objects defining out of bounds),
> . creating or eliminating irregularities of surface,
> . removing or pressing down sand, loose soil, replaced divots or other cut
> turf placed in position, or
> . removing dew, frost or water.
> However, the player incurs no penalty if the action occurs:
> . in fairly taking his stance,
> . in making a stroke or the backward movement of his club for a stroke and
> the stroke is made,
> . on the teeing ground in creating or eliminating irregularities of
> surface (Rule 11-1), or
> . on the putting green in removing sand and loose soil or in repairing
> damage .(Rule 16-1).
>
> - - -
>
> You cannot move, bend break or move any branches to improve your stance or
> swing. You can only do it by fairly taking your stance. Going out of your
> way to back into a branch to move is not permitted.

Thanks a lot. Always learning! F



31 Jul 2006 09:56:27
Howard Brazee
Re: Rules Question re:putting

On 31 Jul 2006 08:06:47 -0700, "Sandman" <[email protected] >
wrote:

>Speaking of rules, I heard a couple yesterday during the tourney that I
>didn't know - someone was assuming a stance on the edge of the woods,
>and his stance and backswing were affected by some low hanging
>branches. The commentator mentioned that
>
>(a) The player must go in to address his ball the way he would normally
>do so (i.e., you couldn't walk way in front of the ball and then back
>up over the ball so that the branches were held behind you by your
>body). I might have known this, but didn't know that

Sometimes this is impossible.


01 Aug 2006 05:16:01
dsc
Re: Rules Question re:putting


Fairway wrote:
> Sandman wrote:
> >
> > (a) The player must go in to address his ball the way he would normally
> > do so (i.e., you couldn't walk way in front of the ball and then back
> > up over the ball so that the branches were held behind you by your
> > body). I might have known this, but didn't know that
> >

Just so happens that's my normal address procedure... you do it
differently? :)



01 Aug 2006 05:43:55
Fairway
Re: Rules Question re:putting


dsc wrote:
> Just so happens that's my normal address procedure... you do it
> differently? :)

It=B4s clear to me now that unknowingly I have breeched the rules a few
times and so have my golfing buddies - thrusting branches back or aside
with our bodies, so as to make space for the swing. Very stupid. Won=B4t
happen again! F



01 Aug 2006 07:08:16
johnty
Re: Rules Question re:putting


Sandman wrote:

>
> Speaking of rules, I heard a couple yesterday during the tourney that I
> didn't know - someone was assuming a stance on the edge of the woods,
> and his stance and backswing were affected by some low hanging
> branches. The commentator mentioned that
>
> (a) The player must go in to address his ball the way he would normally
> do so (i.e., you couldn't walk way in front of the ball and then back
> up over the ball so that the branches were held behind you by your
> body). I might have known this, but didn't know that
>

Wrong


> (b) if during his practice swing(s), he broke off any of the branches,
> then it incurred a penalty (don't know if 1 or 2 strokes, I'm assuming
> 1).
>

Two strokes