28 Mar 2008 16:34:55
Frank Ketchum
Rules Question - Marking Clubface

Is there any rule or decision that would prevent me from putting two small
marks on the face of a wedge to aid in alignment? They would be outside of
the contact area and thus would not influence the play of the club. The
rules say that decorative marks are ok, but I didn't see anything specific
to alignment.

Thanks,
Frank

29 Mar 2008 08:37:40
david s-a
Re: Rules Question - Marking Clubface

Frank Ketchum wrote:
> Is there any rule or decision that would prevent me from putting two small
> marks on the face of a wedge to aid in alignment? They would be outside of
> the contact area and thus would not influence the play of the club. The
> rules say that decorative marks are ok, but I didn't see anything specific
> to alignment.
>
> Thanks,
> Frank

Frank,

The center of the impact area may only be indicated by a design that is
contained within a 3/8" square. Any marks added for whatever other
purpose must be outside that area, and must not unduly influence the
movement of the ball. You should be aware of the limitations applying to
punch marks. Any marks you place on the face of the club should be such
that they could not be altered during the course of a stipulated
round....otherwise there are no limitations to marks which aid 'alignment'.

cheers
david