14 Apr 2004 06:42:41
cja
Masters-speak

patrons
2nd cut
1st 9
2nd 9
green coat
toonamint

Any others? I hadn't noticed that '1st 9' '2nd 9' thing before, and I
can't figure out why they do it. What's wrong with 'front' and
'back'? Hootie and the boys don't seem too strict about the
'coat'/'jacket' thing. They probably won't have an announcer banned
for life for saying 'jacket', but Nantz and the rest are very careful
to always use the other approved words.

- cja

14 Apr 2004 13:51:33
LoneGolfer
Re: Masters-speak

"cja" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> patrons
> 2nd cut
> 1st 9
> 2nd 9
> green coat
> toonamint
>
> Any others? I hadn't noticed that '1st 9' '2nd 9' thing before, and I
> can't figure out why they do it. What's wrong with 'front' and
> 'back'? Hootie and the boys don't seem too strict about the
> 'coat'/'jacket' thing. They probably won't have an announcer banned
> for life for saying 'jacket', but Nantz and the rest are very careful
> to always use the other approved words.
>
> - cja

Well, here's one you won't hear: Gary McCord

14 Apr 2004 09:18:13
The moderator
Re: Masters-speak

"LoneGolfer" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "cja" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > patrons
> > 2nd cut
> > 1st 9
> > 2nd 9
> > green coat
> > toonamint
> >
> > Any others? I hadn't noticed that '1st 9' '2nd 9' thing before, and I
> > can't figure out why they do it. What's wrong with 'front' and
> > 'back'? Hootie and the boys don't seem too strict about the
> > 'coat'/'jacket' thing. They probably won't have an announcer banned
> > for life for saying 'jacket', but Nantz and the rest are very careful
> > to always use the other approved words.
> >
> > - cja
>
> Well, here's one you won't hear: Gary McCord

Kent's brother?

14 Apr 2004 15:19:12
Tim
Re: Masters-speak

cja wrote:
> patrons
> 2nd cut
> 1st 9
> 2nd 9
> green coat
> toonamint
>
> Any others? I hadn't noticed that '1st 9' '2nd 9' thing before, and I
> can't figure out why they do it. What's wrong with 'front' and
> 'back'? Hootie and the boys don't seem too strict about the
> 'coat'/'jacket' thing. They probably won't have an announcer banned
> for life for saying 'jacket', but Nantz and the rest are very careful
> to always use the other approved words.
>
> - cja

That's what I can't stand about the Masters.

Although I do like the 1st tee announcment...
"Fore please, Michelle Wie now driving"

tim

14 Apr 2004 11:45:34
Ken Huizenga
Re: Masters-speak

I read somewhere that the announcers could not refer to "flowers" in
general.
They had to say azaleas, dogwood, etc. instead.

"cja" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> patrons
> 2nd cut
> 1st 9
> 2nd 9
> green coat
> toonamint
>
> Any others? I hadn't noticed that '1st 9' '2nd 9' thing before, and I
> can't figure out why they do it. What's wrong with 'front' and
> 'back'? Hootie and the boys don't seem too strict about the
> 'coat'/'jacket' thing. They probably won't have an announcer banned
> for life for saying 'jacket', but Nantz and the rest are very careful
> to always use the other approved words.
>
> - cja

14 Apr 2004 17:22:59
Richard Wilson
Re: Masters-speak

Because Bob Jones didn't like the idea that a tv or radio announcer
might state that someone was playing not just the back nine, but
possibly the backside, which he considered an undignified phrase.

At least that's what I read somewhere!

cja wrote:

>patrons
>2nd cut
>1st 9
>2nd 9
>green coat
>toonamint
>
>Any others? I hadn't noticed that '1st 9' '2nd 9' thing before, and I
>can't figure out why they do it. What's wrong with 'front' and
>'back'? Hootie and the boys don't seem too strict about the
>'coat'/'jacket' thing. They probably won't have an announcer banned
>for life for saying 'jacket', but Nantz and the rest are very careful
>to always use the other approved words.
>
> - cja

14 Apr 2004 23:15:44
Bill-OB
Re: Masters-speak

"cja" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> patrons
> 2nd cut
> 1st 9
> 2nd 9
> green coat
> toonamint
>
> Any others? I hadn't noticed that '1st 9' '2nd 9' thing before, and I
> can't figure out why they do it. What's wrong with 'front' and
> 'back'? Hootie and the boys don't seem too strict about the
> 'coat'/'jacket' thing. They probably won't have an announcer banned
> for life for saying 'jacket', but Nantz and the rest are very careful
> to always use the other approved words.
>
> - cja

'Hole Placements', never, ever 'Pin Positions'

15 Apr 2004 05:16:52
Blair P. Houghton
Re: Masters-speak

Ken Huizenga <[email protected] > wrote:
>I read somewhere that the announcers could not refer to "flowers" in
>general.
>They had to say azaleas, dogwood, etc. instead.

That, possibly, is to keep the clubhouse from having to field
12 thousand phone calls a year asking "what were those pretty
flowers they were talking about this afternoon...oh, I think it
was on the 5th hole...it was about 2 pm and Duffy Waldorf had
just hit his second...yes, I can wait..."

--Blair
"11,605...11,606"

16 Apr 2004 06:14:50
Buford
Re: Masters-speak

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 06:42:41 -0700, cja wrote:

> patrons
> 2nd cut
> 1st 9
> 2nd 9
> green coat
> toonamint
>
> Any others? I hadn't noticed that '1st 9' '2nd 9' thing before, and I
> can't figure out why they do it. What's wrong with 'front' and
> 'back'? Hootie and the boys don't seem too strict about the
> 'coat'/'jacket' thing. They probably won't have an announcer banned
> for life for saying 'jacket', but Nantz and the rest are very careful
> to always use the other approved words.
>
> - cja

Wasn't there a time when only the Masters referred to them as "bunkers"
while everyone else called them sand traps?

--
Buford
o. "I'm doing a free operating system (just a hobby, won't be

16 Apr 2004 15:13:30
R&B
Re: Masters-speak

They say "green jacket" (as opposed to "green coat") all the time.

They say "front nine" and "back nine" all the time. How many times have we
heard "The Masters doesn't start until the back nine on Sunday."

Tunamint is just an old south way of saying tournament. Calvin Peete says
it the same way (even when he's not in Augusta -- I noticed it from him in
Florida years ago).

Patrons? Well, I think that's the "old south" way of being respectful to
customers. It's just a more deferential way of referring to "fans."

It all just goes back to the way Bobby Jones used to talk (or how the more
modern-day people think he would have). I know, I know, referring to the
Augusta National members as "modern day people" is something of an oxymoron,
but you get the idea. Jones just had a way of speaking in a very
patriarchal way, far more common to his time, and Augusta National, in an
attempt to maintain the same sort of air about the tournament (er, tunamint)
has always tried to keep the same sort of manner about it all. Jones is,
after all, "President in Perpituity" of the club, so his opinion still
counts there.

Personally, I think all that type of stuff (and the golf course itself, of
course) all add up to make The Masters the one tournament I'd want to see if
I could only watch one each year.

Randy