29 Apr 2004 19:34:49
Dan_Musicant
Making my own metalwood

I played with some guys Monday and at the second tee, one of them made
mention of my Golfsmith irons, asking me if I'd assembled them. I
hadn't, but later in the round he suggested I look into Golfsmith woods,
such as he had. He let me hit both his driver and fairway wood. Having
lost my old 2.5 Spalding real wood (I set it down on the fairway when I
hit his Golfsmith!), I figure maybe I should take his suggestion and
build a Golfsmith hi cor metalwood such as this:

http://golfsmith.com/cm/ppage.php?stynum=3141&cseq=~M275510

He said they also have a shaft, grip and what he called a kit I could
get to let me assemble it myself. I'm good with tools, but have never
built a club. What do I need? Thanks.

29 Apr 2004 19:44:13
Mark W.
Re: Making my own metalwood

If you are near a Golfsmith store, they have a four hour club making class
for about $30. You make a driver and a 5 iron.

"Dan_Musicant" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I played with some guys Monday and at the second tee, one of them made
> mention of my Golfsmith irons, asking me if I'd assembled them. I
> hadn't, but later in the round he suggested I look into Golfsmith woods,
> such as he had. He let me hit both his driver and fairway wood. Having
> lost my old 2.5 Spalding real wood (I set it down on the fairway when I
> hit his Golfsmith!), I figure maybe I should take his suggestion and
> build a Golfsmith hi cor metalwood such as this:
>
> http://golfsmith.com/cm/ppage.php?stynum=3141&cseq=~M275510
>
> He said they also have a shaft, grip and what he called a kit I could
> get to let me assemble it myself. I'm good with tools, but have never
> built a club. What do I need? Thanks.

29 Apr 2004 14:54:07
Re: Making my own metalwood

>What do I need?
>Thanks.
========
You might call a golfsmith outlet, or go by if handy, and get their
catalogue. And also their 10 dollar book on clubmaking.

From there you will easily figure out what else you'll need, that you
don't already have.

Just buy the bare essentials at first, then let your wants tell you what
else to buy at a later date.

They also, I think, have a "skinny" (20 bucks) tool kit for assembling
clubs.

30 Apr 2004 06:31:23
warren montgomery
Re: Making my own metalwood

I figure maybe I should take his suggestion and
> build a Golfsmith hi cor metalwood such as this:
>
> http://golfsmith.com/cm/ppage.php?stynum=3141&cseq=~M275510
>
> He said they also have a shaft, grip and what he called a kit I could
> get to let me assemble it myself. I'm good with tools, but have never
> built a club. What do I need? Thanks.

As others have said, you can take a class or buy a book on how to do it, but
it's not even that hard if all you are looking to do is assemble a club or
two. The Golfsmith catalog describes all the basic procedures. There are
several people with on line guides (There is one on my page if you follow
the golf links on the home page on my signature), and Mike Daleki who posts
here frequently has info on his page (clubdoctor.com). If there is a
golfsmith store in your area you may want to visit and look at the stuff and
if they have an assembled club hit it. There are lots of clubhead styles
and playing characteristics and trying them may help you find one that
matches your game.

Warning -- clubmaking is addictive. If you don't keep it under control you
will soon find your garage filling up with clubmaking "experiments"
--
Warren Montgomery [email protected] (
http://home.att.net/~wamontgomery)

01 May 2004 02:48:41
Dan_Musicant
Re: Making my own metalwood

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 06:31:23 -0500, "warren montgomery"
<[email protected] > wrote:

:I figure maybe I should take his suggestion and
: > build a Golfsmith hi cor metalwood such as this:
: >
:
:Warning -- clubmaking is addictive. If you don't keep it under control you
:will soon find your garage filling up with clubmaking "experiments"

Thanks for the posts. The "Warning" is appreciated. I have numerous
unfinished projects as it is - ones that I really NEED to finish!

As fate would have it (thank goodness!) I went to play today, 4 days
after losing my club and it was at the proshop in the lost and found. 2
days after losing it, it was not at the proshop and I figured it was
history. So, I have my full complement of woods right now - a Taylormade
320 ti 9.5 degree driver, and my old Spalding Top Flite Model 38 Robert
T. Jones 2.5, 3.5 and 4.5 real woods. I have the driver too, but the
Taylormade blows it away I'm afraid. I suppose modern metal woods may
blow my old woodies away too. I wouldn't know... Never played anything
else.

Dan

30 Apr 2004 23:49:30
Bob Andrews
Re: Making my own metalwood

"Mark W." <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> If you are near a Golfsmith store, they have a four hour club making class
> for about $30. You make a driver and a 5 iron.

The Golfsmith class is even cheaper now, at least it is in my area. $25 and
you get that back as a store credit voucher. The book that was mentioned in
another post is included as well, plus coupons, etc. A great way to spend a
Saturday morning.

--

Bob Andrews