31 Oct 2003 08:55:58
Fatfreek
Golf cart GPS accuracy?

The more I check out those GPS devices and see that accuracy on differential
GPS and WAAS enabled GPS have improved accuracy to some +/- 3 yards, the
more it begs the question.

If that is the case, then are we golfers being somewhat deceived when we
look at a readout on our cart that says "93" -- when it could actually be
from 90 to 96 yards?

I keep hearing folks talk about +/- 1 yard accuracy on these things but have
not seen any hard facts on it.

Any thoughts?

Len Miller

31 Oct 2003 15:10:54
BillVP
Re: Golf cart GPS accuracy?

Is the GPS set up to read the flagstick, or a metal block inserted in the
middle of the green that never moves, no matter where the pin is placed?

"Fatfreek" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> The more I check out those GPS devices and see that accuracy on
differential
> GPS and WAAS enabled GPS have improved accuracy to some +/- 3 yards, the
> more it begs the question.
>
> If that is the case, then are we golfers being somewhat deceived when we
> look at a readout on our cart that says "93" -- when it could actually be
> from 90 to 96 yards?
>
> I keep hearing folks talk about +/- 1 yard accuracy on these things but
have
> not seen any hard facts on it.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Len Miller

31 Oct 2003 09:15:08
Bobby Knight
Re: Golf cart GPS accuracy?

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:55:58 -0600, "Fatfreek"
<[email protected] > wrote:

>The more I check out those GPS devices and see that accuracy on differential
>GPS and WAAS enabled GPS have improved accuracy to some +/- 3 yards, the
>more it begs the question.
>
>If that is the case, then are we golfers being somewhat deceived when we
>look at a readout on our cart that says "93" -- when it could actually be
>from 90 to 96 yards?
>
>I keep hearing folks talk about +/- 1 yard accuracy on these things but have
>not seen any hard facts on it.
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>Len Miller
My only thought is; I don't know anyone that can dial in +/- 3 yards
with a club....unless its a putter.

___
o '

/
.
"Someone likes every shot"
bk
Troll intolerant. I took the RSG 2002 Pledge.
Ignore them and they'll go away.

31 Oct 2003 15:53:06
glfnaz
Re: Golf cart GPS accuracy?

"Bobby Knight" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:55:58 -0600, "Fatfreek"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >The more I check out those GPS devices and see that accuracy on
differential
> >GPS and WAAS enabled GPS have improved accuracy to some +/- 3 yards, the
> >more it begs the question.
> >
> >If that is the case, then are we golfers being somewhat deceived when we
> >look at a readout on our cart that says "93" -- when it could actually be
> >from 90 to 96 yards?
> >
> >I keep hearing folks talk about +/- 1 yard accuracy on these things but
have
> >not seen any hard facts on it.
> >
> >Any thoughts?
> >
> >Len Miller
> My only thought is; I don't know anyone that can dial in +/- 3 yards
> with a club....unless its a putter.
>
> ___
> o '
> |
> /
> .
> "Someone likes every shot"
> bk
> Troll intolerant. I took the RSG 2002 Pledge.
> Ignore them and they'll go away.

Our greens have 6 quadrants. IOW the greens have been broken down into 6
areas, and when the greenskeeper places the cup, he tells the computer it is
...'Back right quadrant'. It is accurate to about +/- 3-5 yards.
The GPS system measures to the marker under the quadrant, not to the actual
pin placement.

31 Oct 2003 11:07:11
Mike Dalecki
Re: Golf cart GPS accuracy?

Fatfreek wrote:

> The more I check out those GPS devices and see that accuracy on differential
> GPS and WAAS enabled GPS have improved accuracy to some +/- 3 yards, the
> more it begs the question.
>
> If that is the case, then are we golfers being somewhat deceived when we
> look at a readout on our cart that says "93" -- when it could actually be
> from 90 to 96 yards?
>
> I keep hearing folks talk about +/- 1 yard accuracy on these things but have
> not seen any hard facts on it.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Len Miller

A couple years ago I played a course w/ GPS devices on the carts. Two
carts parked right next to each other had an 8-yard difference in
distance to the green.

I think it's most disconcerting in terms of having confidence in the
shot. Not many here are accurate enough for 6 yards to matter, but in
terms of the shot I *want* to hit, esp. if I'm trying to leave the ball
below the hole, for instance.

In the case above, all the GPS system did was create doubt in my mind as
to which club was appropriate.

I think they have their best use in identifying others on the course. I
played at a course a couple years ago where the display would show you
other carts ahead on your hole. It would not only allow you to "see"
carts that were in blind spots, but you could easily gauge whether they
were out of your range or not.

Mike

Mike Dalecki GCA Accredited Clubmaker http://clubdoctor.com
RSG-Wisconsin 2003 Information: http://dalecki.net/rsgwis2003
RSG Roll Call: http://rec-sport-golf.com/members/?rollcall=daleckim
I do not patronize spammers. Help keep RSG clean!

glfnaz
Re: Golf cart GPS accuracy?

"Mike Dalecki" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Fatfreek wrote:
>
> > The more I check out those GPS devices and see that accuracy on
differential
> > GPS and WAAS enabled GPS have improved accuracy to some +/- 3 yards, the
> > more it begs the question.
> >
> > If that is the case, then are we golfers being somewhat deceived when we
> > look at a readout on our cart that says "93" -- when it could actually
be
> > from 90 to 96 yards?
> >
> > I keep hearing folks talk about +/- 1 yard accuracy on these things but
have
> > not seen any hard facts on it.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > Len Miller
>
> A couple years ago I played a course w/ GPS devices on the carts. Two
> carts parked right next to each other had an 8-yard difference in
> distance to the green.
>
> Mike

Those of use with serious anal diseases will now think about this over every
shot.
Why'd you have to tell me that!

31 Oct 2003 19:01:38
Douglas T. (Doug) Massey
Re: Golf cart GPS accuracy?

In article <[email protected] >,
"glfnaz" <[email protected] > writes:

> "Mike Dalecki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> A couple years ago I played a course w/ GPS devices on the carts. Two
>> carts parked right next to each other had an 8-yard difference in
>> distance to the green.
>
> Those of use with serious anal diseases will now think about this over every
> shot.
> Why'd you have to tell me that!

Why'd you have to use the phrase "serious anal diseases"? Ewww . . .

Doug
___, Doug Massey, ASIC Digital Logic Designer
o IBM Microelectronics Division, Burlington, Vermont | >
| Phone: (802)769-7095 t/l: 446-7095 fax: x6752 |
/ |
. My homepage: http://doug.obscurestuff.com (|)

31 Oct 2003 13:24:18
Bobby Knight
Re: Golf cart GPS accuracy?

On 31 Oct 2003 19:01:38 GMT, [email protected] (Douglas T.
(Doug) Massey ) wrote:
> "glfnaz" <[email protected]> writes:

>> "Mike Dalecki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> A couple years ago I played a course w/ GPS devices on the carts. Two
>>> carts parked right next to each other had an 8-yard difference in distance to the green.
>>
>> Those of use with serious anal diseases will now think about this over every
>> shot. Why'd you have to tell me that!
>
>Why'd you have to use the phrase "serious anal diseases"? Ewww . . .
>
>Doug
He wanted separation from those who have frivolous anal diseases, and
himself.

___
o '

/
.
"Someone likes every shot"
bk
Troll intolerant. I took the RSG 2002 Pledge.
Ignore them and they'll go away.

31 Oct 2003 19:49:43
Peter Strauss
Re: Golf cart GPS accuracy?

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:26:52 GMT, "glfnaz" <[email protected] >
wrote:

>"Mike Dalecki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>> Fatfreek wrote:
>>
>> > The more I check out those GPS devices and see that accuracy on
>differential
>> > GPS and WAAS enabled GPS have improved accuracy to some +/- 3 yards, the
>> > more it begs the question.
>> >
>> > If that is the case, then are we golfers being somewhat deceived when we
>> > look at a readout on our cart that says "93" -- when it could actually
>be
>> > from 90 to 96 yards?
>> >
>> > I keep hearing folks talk about +/- 1 yard accuracy on these things but
>have
>> > not seen any hard facts on it.
>> >
>> > Any thoughts?
>> >
>> > Len Miller
>>
>> A couple years ago I played a course w/ GPS devices on the carts. Two
>> carts parked right next to each other had an 8-yard difference in
>> distance to the green.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>Those of use with serious anal diseases will now think about this over every
>shot.
>Why'd you have to tell me that!

Great idea! The Club Doctor can now apply to become a proctologist!

31 Oct 2003 19:50:38
Peter Strauss
Re: Golf cart GPS accuracy?

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:24:18 -0600, Bobby Knight <[email protected] >
wrote:

>On 31 Oct 2003 19:01:38 GMT, [email protected] (Douglas T.
>(Doug) Massey ) wrote:

>>> Those of use with serious anal diseases will now think about this over every
>>> shot. Why'd you have to tell me that!
>>
>>Why'd you have to use the phrase "serious anal diseases"? Ewww . . .
>>
>>Doug
>He wanted separation from those who have frivolous anal diseases, and
>himself.

What an asshole thread.

31 Oct 2003 20:07:53
glfnaz
Re: Golf cart GPS accuracy?

"Bobby Knight" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On 31 Oct 2003 19:01:38 GMT, [email protected] (Douglas T.
> (Doug) Massey ) wrote:

> >> Those of use with serious anal diseases will now think about this over
every
> >> shot. Why'd you have to tell me that!
> >
> >Why'd you have to use the phrase "serious anal diseases"? Ewww . . .
> >
> >Doug
> He wanted separation from those who have frivolous anal diseases, and
> himself.
>
> ___
> o '
> |
> /
> .

True. I know my weaknesses.

01 Nov 2003 12:28:31
Miss Anne Thrope
Re: Golf cart GPS accuracy?

Ignore the readout on the cart that says "93". Just like you ignore the
readout on the cart that says "moron".

03 Nov 2003 15:27:47
Howard Brazee
Re: Golf cart GPS accuracy?

On 31-Oct-2003, "Fatfreek" <[email protected] > wrote:

> The more I check out those GPS devices and see that accuracy on differential
> GPS and WAAS enabled GPS have improved accuracy to some +/- 3 yards, the
> more it begs the question.
>
> If that is the case, then are we golfers being somewhat deceived when we
> look at a readout on our cart that says "93" -- when it could actually be
> from 90 to 96 yards?

You have to remember, that +/- 3 yards is from the GPS to wherever it thinks the
pin is. Wherever it thinks the pin is is an estimate, as from what I have
read, the GPS is no closer to the pin than the posted pin placement for today's
round is.

03 Nov 2003 15:29:36
Howard Brazee
Re: Golf cart GPS accuracy?

On 31-Oct-2003, Mike Dalecki <[email protected] > wrote:

> I think they have their best use in identifying others on the course. I
> played at a course a couple years ago where the display would show you
> other carts ahead on your hole. It would not only allow you to "see"
> carts that were in blind spots, but you could easily gauge whether they
> were out of your range or not.

That's neat, they tell you where other carts are!?! That could be useful for
non-blind shots where you can see if there is anybody standing closer than the
cart.

03 Nov 2003 17:37:12
Re: Golf cart GPS accuracy?

I played at Paa-ko Ridge in the Albuquerque area last summer, and the GPS
readings were wrong for the first hole because the staff hadn't yet
programmed the master computer with the day's pin positions. At this
course, anyway, GPS was keyed to the estimated pin position as informed by
the master computer -- dependent on human intervention as often as pin
positions changed.

--

Michael L. Wyland
Sumption & Wyland

http://www.sumptionandwyland.com
-- free e-newsletter sign-up
-- new article: "The Giving Sky is Falling...Or Is It?"