31 May 2004 07:44:34
Roald Oines
Aren't cell phones bad enough?

This morning's Rocky Mountain News (Denver) has a story about a really
disturbing idea: wireless internet access on the golf course "so
(businesspeople) can actually get out and play golf."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/technology/article/0,1299,DRMN_49_2926870,00.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/2fydk

--
http://rec-sport-golf.com/?rc=oinesroald
Please remove the under_scores if sending me mail.

31 May 2004 16:13:51
Peter Strauss
Re: Aren't cell phones bad enough?

On Mon, 31 May 2004 07:44:34 -0600, "Roald Oines"
<[email protected] > wrote:

>This morning's Rocky Mountain News (Denver) has a story about a really
>disturbing idea: wireless internet access on the golf course "so
>(businesspeople) can actually get out and play golf."
>
>http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/technology/article/0,1299,DRMN_49_2926870,00.html
>
>or
>
>http://tinyurl.com/2fydk

The article says, in part:
>Taylor noted that at Saddle Rock, "We're aiming the signal toward the driving range and the clubhouse. The best thing for anyone who wants to use the service is to use it before they get on the course, or after they come off (Taylor said signs at Saddle Rock will encourage users to do just that).

Sure they will. And of course the users will heed the signs. Just
like they heed the golf cart directional signs. Just like they heed
the admonitions about cell phones.
What inflated-ego chump is going to resist acting out his fantasies of
being central to the operation of the universe, and not use his PDA,
or whatever, in between shots?
Sheeyit.
I guess it was just a matter of time, anyhow...

31 May 2004 18:30:08
Frostback

Roald Oines wrote:

> This morning's Rocky Mountain News (Denver) has a story about a really
> disturbing idea: wireless internet access on the golf course "so
> (businesspeople) can actually get out and play golf."
>
> http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/technology/article/0,1299,DRMN_49_2926870,00.html
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2fydk

Shortly, PDAs will be as powerful as laptops, and included in packages with cell phones.
Like cell phones, it will be they way the world is. You can make the point that you don't
want to golf with people who carry PDAs, just like you can now not play golf with people
who carry cell phones. What you cannot do now, and hopefully won't be able to do a couple
of years from now, is tell people they cannot play with cell phones/PDAs because they
bother you.

01 Jun 2004 13:26:13
Howard Brazee

On 31-May-2004, Frostback <[email protected] > wrote:

> Shortly, PDAs will be as powerful as laptops, and included in packages with
> cell phones.
> Like cell phones, it will be they way the world is. You can make the point
> that you don't
> want to golf with people who carry PDAs, just like you can now not play golf
> with people
> who carry cell phones. What you cannot do now, and hopefully won't be able to
> do a couple
> of years from now, is tell people they cannot play with cell phones/PDAs
> because they
> bother you.

I believe you can plug your GPS into your PGA and use it to keep all your golf
stats including how far your shots are. That is if you don't mind playing PDA
instead of golf.

01 Jun 2004 13:24:36
Howard Brazee

On 31-May-2004, "Roald Oines" <[email protected] > wrote:

> This morning's Rocky Mountain News (Denver) has a story about a really
> disturbing idea: wireless internet access on the golf course "so
> (businesspeople) can actually get out and play golf."

I read the article. And actually was at Saddleback golf course this weekend
(they were offering drawings and promoting a golf school). It seems like an
odd location to push internet access and golf.

I know that there are clubs that companies pay for membership with - figuring
they get business done at the golf course. But Saddleback isn't one of them.
It doesn't even have a permanent clubhouse yet.

01 Jun 2004 07:47:39
Dan Wolf
Re: Aren't cell phones bad enough?

"Howard Brazee" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> On 31-May-2004, "Roald Oines" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > This morning's Rocky Mountain News (Denver) has a story about a really
> > disturbing idea: wireless internet access on the golf course "so
> > (businesspeople) can actually get out and play golf."
>
> I read the article. And actually was at Saddleback golf course this
weekend
> (they were offering drawings and promoting a golf school). It seems like
an
> odd location to push internet access and golf.
>
> I know that there are clubs that companies pay for membership with -
figuring
> they get business done at the golf course. But Saddleback isn't one of
them.
> It doesn't even have a permanent clubhouse yet.

The article mentioned Saddle Rock golf course, not Saddleback.

I played Saddleback early Monday morning... nice day for golf. Saddleback
has the best breakfast burritos around.

Dan

01 Jun 2004 14:39:33
Howard Brazee

On 1-Jun-2004, "Dan Wolf" <[email protected] > wrote:

> The article mentioned Saddle Rock golf course, not Saddleback.

My bad.

> I played Saddleback early Monday morning... nice day for golf. Saddleback
> has the best breakfast burritos around.

It may be the only course that I have played with the same ball for 18 holes.
Actually I did lose a provisional (I hit the original in a par-3 over a marsh on
one side, and the provisional on the other side and when I found my original,
never looked for the provisional). I played it safe on the hole going over the
lake, and good thing because I popped up. This was when it just opened, and my
nephew took home a huge bull-frog from that round.

--
People who hated this post may also hate posts by...

03 Jun 2004 22:07:17
DC
Re: Aren't cell phones bad enough?

I use my treo 600 to look rules on golf and other stuff up on the
course using the web, however I turn the ringer off and don't answer
the phone unless someone calls me twice in secession, then I know it's
very important. My treo 600 is wonderful, and I rarely leave it
behind.

Also in my car I usually have my laptop locked in the trunk, and I can
connect my laptop to my treo as a wireless modem and get wireless
internet anywhere there is sprint coverage. None of this devalues
golf in any way imo, I walk carrying my clubs usually, so I don't
delay the game at all.