30 Jun 2007 07:44:46
Jughead
free hit coming up.......

http://ia.rediff.com/cricket/2007/jun/29icc.htm

-Aravind

03 Jul 2007 11:59:56
Andrew Dunford
Re: free hit coming up.......

"Jughead" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> http://ia.rediff.com/cricket/2007/jun/29icc.htm

Jesus wept.

50-over cricket doesn't benefit from introducing Twenty 20 gimmicks. They
should either leave it alone or scrap it in favour of the shorter game.

The batsman knowing in advance that he can't be dismissed is not cricket
IMO.

Andrew

02 Jul 2007 17:08:33
arahim
Re: free hit coming up.......

On Jul 2, 4:59 pm, "Andrew Dunford" <[email protected] > wrote:
> "Jughead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]
>
> >http://ia.rediff.com/cricket/2007/jun/29icc.htm
>
> Jesus wept.
>
> 50-over cricket doesn't benefit from introducing Twenty 20 gimmicks. They
> should either leave it alone or scrap it in favour of the shorter game.
>
> The batsman knowing in advance that he can't be dismissed is not cricket
> IMO.

Concur. If anything stupid needs to be done it should have been
something like no legbyes anymore or edges to the boundary don't count
or something that would have favored the bowler (ie if anything had to
be done).

> Andrew

02 Jul 2007 20:00:20
Phil.
Re: free hit coming up.......

Andrew Dunford wrote:
> "Jughead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > http://ia.rediff.com/cricket/2007/jun/29icc.htm
>
> Jesus wept.
>
> 50-over cricket doesn't benefit from introducing Twenty 20 gimmicks. They
> should either leave it alone or scrap it in favour of the shorter game.
>
> The batsman knowing in advance that he can't be dismissed is not cricket
> IMO.

Actually it is as this was the situation that obtained under the
backfoot rule, a side effect of the frontfoot rule is that no balls
aren't punished like they once were. The effect of the free hit rule
is actually to substantially reduce the number of frontfoot no balls!

Phil.

03 Jul 2007 13:23:17
Calvin
Re: free hit coming up.......

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 13:00:20 +1000, Phil. <[email protected] > wrote:

> Andrew Dunford wrote:
>> "Jughead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>> > http://ia.rediff.com/cricket/2007/jun/29icc.htm
>>
>> Jesus wept.
>>
>> 50-over cricket doesn't benefit from introducing Twenty 20 gimmicks.
>> They
>> should either leave it alone or scrap it in favour of the shorter game.
>>
>> The batsman knowing in advance that he can't be dismissed is not cricket
>> IMO.
>>

> Actually it is as this was the situation that obtained under the
> backfoot rule, a side effect of the frontfoot rule is that no balls
> aren't punished like they once were. The effect of the free hit rule
> is actually to substantially reduce the number of frontfoot no balls!

If that is the intention then there are better ways of doing it.

--

cheers,
calvin

03 Jul 2007 13:50:38
Calvin
Re: free hit coming up.......

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 10:08:33 +1000, arahim <[email protected] >
wrote:

> On Jul 2, 4:59 pm, "Andrew Dunford" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Jughead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]
>>
>> >http://ia.rediff.com/cricket/2007/jun/29icc.htm
>>
>> Jesus wept.
>>
>> 50-over cricket doesn't benefit from introducing Twenty 20 gimmicks.
>> They
>> should either leave it alone or scrap it in favour of the shorter game.
>>
>> The batsman knowing in advance that he can't be dismissed is not cricket
>> IMO.
>>
> Concur. If anything stupid needs to be done it should have been
> something like no legbyes anymore or edges to the boundary don't count
> or something that would have favored the bowler

One new ball from each end would be a start.

--

cheers,
calvin

03 Jul 2007 07:31:33
Paul Robson
Re: free hit coming up.......

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 11:59:56 +1200, Andrew Dunford wrote:

> 50-over cricket doesn't benefit from introducing Twenty 20 gimmicks. They
> should either leave it alone or scrap it in favour of the shorter game.
>
> The batsman knowing in advance that he can't be dismissed is not cricket
> IMO.

How about using it to trial the return of the back foot no ball ?

03 Jul 2007 22:43:16
Mad Hamish
Re: free hit coming up.......

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 07:31:33 GMT, Paul Robson
<[email protected] > wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 11:59:56 +1200, Andrew Dunford wrote:
>
>> 50-over cricket doesn't benefit from introducing Twenty 20 gimmicks. They
>> should either leave it alone or scrap it in favour of the shorter game.
>>
>> The batsman knowing in advance that he can't be dismissed is not cricket
>> IMO.
>
>How about using it to trial the return of the back foot no ball ?

Dunno, I imagine that we'd end up with even worse draggers than we
used to have.

And I'd hate to see people trying to face people of Lee or Akhtar's
pace from a shorter distance than they get now.
--
"Hope is replaced by fear and dreams by survival, most of us get by."
Stuart Adamson 1958-2001

Mad Hamish
Hamish Laws
[email protected]

03 Jul 2007 14:05:57
Paul Robson
Re: free hit coming up.......

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 22:43:16 +1000, Mad Hamish wrote:

>>How about using it to trial the return of the back foot no ball ?
>
> Dunno, I imagine that we'd end up with even worse draggers than we
> used to have.
>
> And I'd hate to see people trying to face people of Lee or Akhtar's
> pace from a shorter distance than they get now.

It might be better to handle the dragging problem rather than front foot
no balling ?

11 Jul 2007 23:36:03
Mad Hamish
Re: free hit coming up.......

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 14:05:57 GMT, Paul Robson
<[email protected] > wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 22:43:16 +1000, Mad Hamish wrote:
>
>>>How about using it to trial the return of the back foot no ball ?
>>
>> Dunno, I imagine that we'd end up with even worse draggers than we
>> used to have.
>>
>> And I'd hate to see people trying to face people of Lee or Akhtar's
>> pace from a shorter distance than they get now.
>
>It might be better to handle the dragging problem rather than front foot
>no balling ?

Dunno that I'd want to see people bowling at the pace of Lee or Akhtar
from as far down the pitch as Rorke managed considering...
--
"Hope is replaced by fear and dreams by survival, most of us get by."
Stuart Adamson 1958-2001

Mad Hamish
Hamish Laws
[email protected]

11 Jul 2007 07:39:58
sdavmor
Re: free hit coming up.......

Mad Hamish wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 14:05:57 GMT, Paul Robson
> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Dunno, I imagine that we'd end up with even worse draggers than we
>>> used to have.
>>>
>>> And I'd hate to see people trying to face people of Lee or Akhtar's
>>> pace from a shorter distance than they get now.
>> It might be better to handle the dragging problem rather than front foot
>> no balling ?
>
> Dunno that I'd want to see people bowling at the pace of Lee or Akhtar
> from as far down the pitch as Rorke managed considering...

Rorke had dragging down to a fine art.
--
Cheers,
SDM -- a 21st century schizoid man

14 Jul 2007 10:58:12
Mad Hamish
Re: free hit coming up.......

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 07:39:58 -0700, sdavmor
<[email protected] > wrote:

>Mad Hamish wrote:
>> On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 14:05:57 GMT, Paul Robson
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> It might be better to handle the dragging problem rather than front foot
>>> no balling ?
>>
>> Dunno that I'd want to see people bowling at the pace of Lee or Akhtar
>> from as far down the pitch as Rorke managed considering...
>
>Rorke had dragging down to a fine art.

Maybe, but I'm sure that people will start working on it if it becomes
legal again.
--
"Hope is replaced by fear and dreams by survival, most of us get by."
Stuart Adamson 1958-2001

Mad Hamish
Hamish Laws
[email protected]

13 Jul 2007 19:37:33
Jayen
Re: free hit coming up.......

On Jun 30, 7:44 pm, Jughead <[email protected] > wrote:
> http://ia.rediff.com/cricket/2007/jun/29icc.htm
>
> -Aravind

Shoaib Akhtar has criticised the new rule.

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/story/301823.html

He feels that it's unfair that others get a free hit while he had to
pay for his.

Regards,
Jayen

14 Jul 2007 18:03:46
Andrew Dunford
Re: free hit coming up.......

"Jayen" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Jun 30, 7:44 pm, Jughead <[email protected]> wrote:
>> http://ia.rediff.com/cricket/2007/jun/29icc.htm
>>
>> -Aravind
>
> Shoaib Akhtar has criticised the new rule.
>
> http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/story/301823.html
>
> He feels that it's unfair that others get a free hit while he had to
> pay for his.

I look forward to Shoaib arguing this one out with the umpires: "Sir, it's
not a no ball because I didn't know I was breaking the Law".

Andrew

14 Jul 2007 00:16:01
Ravi
Re: free hit coming up.......

On Jul 3, 4:59 am, "Andrew Dunford" <[email protected] > wrote:
> "Jughead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]
>
> >http://ia.rediff.com/cricket/2007/jun/29icc.htm
>
> Jesus wept.
>
> 50-over cricket doesn't benefit from introducing Twenty 20 gimmicks. They
> should either leave it alone or scrap it in favour of the shorter game.
>
> The batsman knowing in advance that he can't be dismissed is not cricket
> IMO.

Agree. Is a ridiculous rule. ICC should have considered rules that
help the bowlers a little more. An idea - a single bowler can bowl an
extra over - criteria can be anyone who has taken a wicket or have
bowled a maiden over. This also introduces a surprise factor, and
rewards wicket taking bowlers and is a tactical weapon for the
fielding captain.

> Andrew

14 Jul 2007 00:49:49
arahim
Re: free hit coming up.......

On Jul 13, 11:03 pm, "Andrew Dunford" <[email protected] > wrote:
> "Jayen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]
>
> > On Jun 30, 7:44 pm, Jughead <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>http://ia.rediff.com/cricket/2007/jun/29icc.htm
>
> >> -Aravind
>
> > Shoaib Akhtar has criticised the new rule.
>
> >http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/story/301823.html
>
> > He feels that it's unfair that others get a free hit while he had to
> > pay for his.
>
> I look forward to Shoaib arguing this one out with the umpires: "Sir, it's
> not a no ball because I didn't know I was breaking the Law".

Ah! that's why Warne used to look to his mum rather than the replay to
confirm a not out decision.