31 Mar 2004 18:03:59
Samarth Shah
Srinath quote

Srinath's latest article
(http://us.rediff.com/cricket/2004/apr/01srinath.htm)contains this
quote:

"From my experience I can say that some of India's greatest cricket
technicians have killed the game defending their personal reputations,
forgetting the importance of scoring runs to match the team's
objectives."

Who is he referring to? Who are India's greatest cricket technicians?
Merchant, Gavaskar, Manjrekar (both VL and SV), Dravid... who else?
Akash Chopra may get added to the list in a few years. So, who is
Srinath talking about? Surely, he did not "experience" Merchant or
Vijay Manjrekar. That leaves Gavaskar, who I suppose he saw batting on
TV, Sanjay Manjrekar and Dravid. Is he levelling such harsh criticism
on one or more of these superb batsmen? I don't understand the need to
bash old players when praising today's stars. Don't know why such
acrimony at a momentous time in Indian cricket. Veiled criticism, too.
Simply taking a potshot at some guy(s) without naming him/them.

Also, Faisal Shariff's Pak Tour diary
(http://us.rediff.com/cricket/2004/mar/31diary.htm)- what a joke!
Writing absolute garbage! Several test cricketers can write better
diaries - SWaugh, Langer, McGrath, Hussain... It's pretty sad when the
players do a better job of writing than the journalists. Almost like
Faisal Shariff being able to bowl better than Shoaib Akhtar.

-Samarth.

01 Apr 2004 07:20:37
xss
Re: Srinath quote

[email protected] (Samarth Shah) wrote in message news:<[email protected] >...

> Vijay Manjrekar. That leaves Gavaskar, who I suppose he saw batting on
> TV, Sanjay Manjrekar and Dravid. Is he levelling such harsh criticism
> on one or more of these superb batsmen? I don't understand the need to
> bash old players when praising today's stars. Don't know why such
> acrimony at a momentous time in Indian cricket. Veiled criticism, too.
> Simply taking a potshot at some guy(s) without naming him/them.

Ghost writers stirring up things.

s.

01 Apr 2004 19:31:47
Take it easy
Re: Srinath quote

[email protected] (Samarth Shah) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Srinath's latest article
> (http://us.rediff.com/cricket/2004/apr/01srinath.htm)contains
> this quote:
>
> "From my experience I can say that some of India's greatest
> cricket technicians have killed the game defending their personal
> reputations, forgetting the importance of scoring runs to match
> the team's objectives."
>
> Who is he referring to?

Tendulkar?

Takeiteasy.

> Who are India's greatest cricket
> technicians? Merchant, Gavaskar, Manjrekar (both VL and SV),
> Dravid... who else? Akash Chopra may get added to the list in a
> few years. So, who is Srinath talking about? Surely, he did not
> "experience" Merchant or Vijay Manjrekar. That leaves Gavaskar,
> who I suppose he saw batting on TV, Sanjay Manjrekar and Dravid.
> Is he levelling such harsh criticism on one or more of these
> superb batsmen? I don't understand the need to bash old players
> when praising today's stars. Don't know why such acrimony at a
> momentous time in Indian cricket. Veiled criticism, too. Simply
> taking a potshot at some guy(s) without naming him/them.

01 Apr 2004 18:13:11
Raghu Sakleshpur
Re: Srinath quote

[email protected] (Samarth Shah) wrote in message news:<[email protected] >...
> Srinath's latest article
> (http://us.rediff.com/cricket/2004/apr/01srinath.htm)contains this
> quote:
>
> "From my experience I can say that some of India's greatest cricket
> technicians have killed the game defending their personal reputations,
> forgetting the importance of scoring runs to match the team's
> objectives."
>
> Who is he referring to? Who are India's greatest cricket technicians?
> Merchant, Gavaskar, Manjrekar (both VL and SV), Dravid... who else?
> Akash Chopra may get added to the list in a few years. So, who is
> Srinath talking about? Surely, he did not "experience" Merchant or
> Vijay Manjrekar. That leaves Gavaskar, who I suppose he saw batting on
> TV, Sanjay Manjrekar and Dravid. Is he levelling such harsh criticism
> on one or more of these superb batsmen? I don't understand the need to
> bash old players when praising today's stars. Don't know why such
> acrimony at a momentous time in Indian cricket. Veiled criticism, too.
> Simply taking a potshot at some guy(s) without naming him/them.

My bet is that srinath is hinting at sunny gavaskar..
The teams in those days (assuming under gavaskar) never had the kind
of determination, athleticism and to some extent talent that this
team has.
Also, there is a vast difference in the quality of the opposition
(Pakistani team) from then and now.
So I agree, just blaming older players for not being able to scale
these heights is not entirely fair..

> -Samarth.

-raghu