27 Jun 2007 02:05:58
ovshake
Namesakes and three-wicket hauls

Piyush Chawla has taken three wickets in each of his first three
matches. Does he hold the records for
(a) maximum wickets after three matches
(b) playing most matches from debut without taking less than three
wickets?

Also, both Jayawardenes scored hundreds in the current test. What are
the other occasions for unrelated surnamesakes?

27 Jun 2007 13:25:33
Aslam Siddiqui
Re: Namesakes and three-wicket hauls

On Jun 27, 5:05 am, ovshake <[email protected] > wrote:
> Piyush Chawla has taken three wickets in each of his first three
> matches. Does he hold the records for
> (a) maximum wickets after three matches
> (b) playing most matches from debut without taking less than three
> wickets?

Most Limited-overs International wickets after ONE match:
6 FH Edwards (WI)
5 AIC Dodemaide (Aus); A Codrington (Can);
AA Donald (SAf); TCB Fernando and USH Karnain (SL)

TWO:
8 AJ Holliaoke (Eng); AA Donald (SAf);
CEL Ambrose, WW Davis and FH Edwards (WI)
7 CG Rackemann (Aus); HA Varaiya (Ken); BC Strang (Zim)

THREE:
10 CG Rackemann (Aus); MJ Hoggard and AJ Hollioake (Eng);
CEL Ambrose and FH Edwards (WI)
9 GJ Gilmour (Aus); P Chawla (Ind); D Langford-Smith (Ire);
Abdul Qadir (Pak); AA Donald (SAf)

FOUR:
14 GJ Gilmour (Aus)
12 AA Donald (SAf); FH Edwards (WI)
11 AIC Dodemaide (Aus); AJ Hollioake (Eng); CEL Ambrose (WI)

FIVE:
16 GJ Gilmour (Aus)
15 SE Bond (NZ)
13 AIC Dodemaide, GD McGrath and CG Rackemann (Aus);
AA Donald (SAf)

Note: Only three bowlers have taken at least 3 wickets in each of the
first three Limited-overs Internationals they have played.

P Chawla (Ind); D Langford-Smith (Ire); CG Rackemann (Aus)

> Also, both Jayawardenes scored hundreds in the current test. What are
> the other occasions for unrelated surnamesakes?

It has never happened before. Even unrelated same name players on
opposing sides have never scored centuries in the same match. However
AH Jones (NZ) and DM Jones (Aus) have managed to get 'ducks' in the
same match.

aslam
GO CUBS!!!

27 Jun 2007 22:21:29
ovshake
Re: Namesakes and three-wicket hauls

Thanks, wow! Whay about related surnamesakes? The Waughs immediately
come to mind...

> > Also, both Jayawardenes scored hundreds in the current test. What are
> > the other occasions for unrelated surnamesakes?
>
> It has never happened before. Even unrelated same name players on
> opposing sides have never scored centuries in the same match. However
> AH Jones (NZ) and DM Jones (Aus) have managed to get 'ducks' in the
> same match.
>
> aslam
> GO CUBS!!!

28 Jun 2007 17:35:59
Andrew Dunford
Re: Namesakes and three-wicket hauls

"ovshake" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

>> > Also, both Jayawardenes scored hundreds in the current test. What are
>> > the other occasions for unrelated surnamesakes?
>>
>> It has never happened before. Even unrelated same name players on
>> opposing sides have never scored centuries in the same match. However
>> AH Jones (NZ) and DM Jones (Aus) have managed to get 'ducks' in the
>> same match.

> Thanks, wow! Whay about related surnamesakes? The Waughs immediately
> come to mind...

Yes, that is quite something.

The name that immediately comes to mind for me is Chappell, specifically Ian
and Greg both scoring a century in each innings at the Basin Road, er
Reserve in 1973/74.

Andrew

28 Jun 2007 07:04:15
Aslam Siddiqui
Brothers with 100s in same Test/inns

On Jun 28, 1:21 am, ovshake <[email protected] > wrote:

> Thanks, wow! Whay about related surnamesakes? The Waughs immediately
> come to mind...

A. Brothers who have scored centuries in the same Test innings:

IM Chappell (118) & GS Chappell (113)
Aus v Eng, The Oval, 1972, 1st innings

IM Chappell (145) & GS Chappell (247*)
Aus v NZ, Wellington, 1973-74, 1st innings

IM Chappell (121) & GS Chappell (133)
Aus v NZ, Wellington, 1973-74, 2nd innings

Sadiq Mohammad (103*) & Mushtaq Mohammad (101)
Pak v NZ, Hyderabad, 1976-77, 1st innings

ME Waugh (126) & SR Waugh (200)
Aus v WI, Kingston, 1994-95, 1st innings

ME Waugh (128) & SR Waugh (157*)
Aus v Eng, The Oval, 2001, 1st innings

GW Flower (201*) & A Flower (156)
Zim v Pak, Harare(1), 1994-95, 1st innings

B. Brothers who have scored centuries in the same Test but not in the
same innings:

GS Chappell (106) 1st inns & IM Chappell (106*) 2nd inns
Aus v WI, Bridgetown, 1972-73

GW Flower (156*) 1st inns & A Flower (100*) 2nd inns
Zim v Pak, Bulawayo, 1997-98

C. Brothers who have scored Test centuries but not in the same match:

GE & JT Tyldesley (Eng)
J & R Benaud (Aus)
G & PN Kirsten (SAf)
JJ & MD Crowe (NZ)
M & S Amarnath (Ind)
Hanif, Mushtaq, Sadiq & Wazir Mohammad (Pak)
Ramiz & Wasim Raja (Pak)
A & D Ranatunga (SL)

aslam
GO CUBS!!!