30 May 2006 10:13:36
Is Dravid going to open in tests too ?

Apparently, there is some talk of once again loading the middle order
and so Dravid might open with both Laxman and Kaif making it into the
team.

30 May 2006 11:09:41
Jaidev
Re: Is Dravid going to open in tests too ?

<[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Apparently, there is some talk of once again loading the middle order
> and so Dravid might open with both Laxman and Kaif making it into the
> team.

If stupid Chappell has his way, he will replace Laxman with mediocre Kaif
permanently in the test team.

30 May 2006 19:07:04
Ravi

[email protected] wrote:
> Apparently, there is some talk of once again loading the middle order
> and so Dravid might open with both Laxman and Kaif making it into the
> team.

It is real foolishness to make Dravid open - Jaffer and Sehwag should.
It is nothing to do with Dravid's capability as much as a lack of
strategy. Dravid opening in the ODI's was a mistake. The middle order
was clearly exposed. Now we are using Pathan/Dhoni in the middle order
- what nonsense. Think Laxman should come back to the ODI team.

- Ravi

30 May 2006 19:57:27
Groundhog

Ravi wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Apparently, there is some talk of once again loading the middle order
> > and so Dravid might open with both Laxman and Kaif making it into the
> > team.
>
> It is real foolishness to make Dravid open - Jaffer and Sehwag should.
> It is nothing to do with Dravid's capability as much as a lack of
> strategy. Dravid opening in the ODI's was a mistake. The middle order
> was clearly exposed. Now we are using Pathan/Dhoni in the middle order
> - what nonsense. Think Laxman should come back to the ODI team.

I am glad this disaster happened now. If they can learn from this they
can tweak the lineup in a couple of places and make the team better

30 May 2006 23:07:05
prasen9

Groundhog wrote:
> Ravi wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:
> > > Apparently, there is some talk of once again loading the middle order
> > > and so Dravid might open with both Laxman and Kaif making it into the
> > > team.
> >
> > It is real foolishness to make Dravid open - Jaffer and Sehwag should.
> > It is nothing to do with Dravid's capability as much as a lack of
> > strategy. Dravid opening in the ODI's was a mistake. The middle order
> > was clearly exposed. Now we are using Pathan/Dhoni in the middle order
> > - what nonsense. Think Laxman should come back to the ODI team.
>

> I am glad this disaster happened now. If they can learn from this they
> can tweak the lineup in a couple of places and make the team better

I doubt at least for the first test whether they will really go with 5
bowlers again
unless it is a really really a flat pitch.

I expect all of WJ, VVSL and MK to be in the team. Chapell may try
some
false bravados but Dravid will perhaps not take the same bait twice.

-pm

01 Jun 2006 13:24:11

Jaidev wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Apparently, there is some talk of once again loading the middle order
> > and so Dravid might open with both Laxman and Kaif making it into the
> > team.
> >

> If stupid Chappell has his way, he will replace Laxman with mediocre Kaif
> permanently in the test team.

with kaif's superior fielding and laxman's laziness in fielding (along
with his ability to drop catches), overall, kaif may be as good as
laxman if not better...........

01 Jun 2006 22:32:00
prasen9

[email protected] wrote:
> Jaidev wrote:
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > > Apparently, there is some talk of once again loading the middle order
> > > and so Dravid might open with both Laxman and Kaif making it into the
> > > team.
> > >

> > If stupid Chappell has his way, he will replace Laxman with mediocre Kaif
> > permanently in the test team.
>
> with kaif's superior fielding and laxman's laziness in fielding (along
> with his ability to drop catches), overall, kaif may be as good as
> laxman if not better...........

Last time I checked Laxman was in for his batting where it is a
no-contest.
Laxman averages at least about 15 more than Kaif per innings in Tests
and I would guess
about the same difference is true in FC cricket if not more.
I do not think Kaif's superior fielding makes up for his batting
deficiencies.

If we get out for 250, with our bowlers, no amount of superior fielding
will keep
the WI restricted to under that unless you field 11 superman/batman
types who
can fly.

-pm