29 Sep 2004 12:56:12
Bob Dubery
Fire at The Wanderers

A match is taking place at The Wanderers tonight - SA 'A' v NZ 'A'.

Camera shots in the latter stages of the SA 'A' innings started
picking up a very fierce fire. The commentators were at first unable
to discern WHERE this conflagaration was taking place (the commentary
position at The Wanderers is high up in the north-facing stand).

Now The Wanderers is on Corlett Drive. Across the road is The
Wanderers Club, one of the oldest clubs in Johannesburg and one-time
owners of The Wanderers stadium (they also owned the original
Wanderers which would, today, be smack in the middle of Johannesburg
railway station).

It was this club that was on fire - the main clubhouse in fact. A
lovely old building with a lot of character to it and with lots of
mementoes stored and displayed.

TV is not reporting the exact extent of the blaze at this point, but
it is possible that it spread to the UCB offices which are in the
grounds of the club, very close to the club house.

Meanwhile at the match, SA got off to a cracking start with a pair of
makeshift openers - Hall and van Wyk. Then NZ hit a hot patch and
picked up 5 wickets for not too many runs. At this point SA were
looking at 180 to 200 runs in the normal course of events, (they were
86 for 5 after 25 overs) but Ackerman (73*)and Kemp (41) played very
well and when Kemp was dismissed Albie Morkel came in and scored a
VERY quick 60 to give SA 267 on the board.

Kruger bowled a rather wayward first over but then bowled very well to
pick up 4 wickets in 6 overs. He bowled a good length and got the ball
to move out in the air and in off the seam. Dippenaar took one very
good catch and one superb catch. After Kruger and Morkel were taken
off Thomas, Hall and Ontong did a good job. Opener Bell played very
well for 52, but didn't enjoy much support.

As I type NZ are 199 for 7 after 41 - so it's not done and dusted yet.
Canning (with a runner) has batted well for 76 and enjoyed a
productive partnership with Wiseman (75 partnership in 13 overs and 1
ball). Walmsley is at the other end now. Thunder and lightning where I
live but no rain yet. Normally a storm down here will hit the
Wanderers about 15 minutes later.

30 Sep 2004 15:50:54
Andrew Dunford
Re: Fire at The Wanderers

"Bob Dubery" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> A match is taking place at The Wanderers tonight - SA 'A' v NZ 'A'.
>
> Camera shots in the latter stages of the SA 'A' innings started
> picking up a very fierce fire. The commentators were at first unable
> to discern WHERE this conflagaration was taking place (the commentary
> position at The Wanderers is high up in the north-facing stand).
>
> Now The Wanderers is on Corlett Drive. Across the road is The
> Wanderers Club, one of the oldest clubs in Johannesburg and one-time
> owners of The Wanderers stadium (they also owned the original
> Wanderers which would, today, be smack in the middle of Johannesburg
> railway station).
>
> It was this club that was on fire - the main clubhouse in fact. A
> lovely old building with a lot of character to it and with lots of
> mementoes stored and displayed.
>
> TV is not reporting the exact extent of the blaze at this point, but
> it is possible that it spread to the UCB offices which are in the
> grounds of the club, very close to the club house.
>
> Meanwhile at the match, SA got off to a cracking start with a pair of
> makeshift openers - Hall and van Wyk. Then NZ hit a hot patch and
> picked up 5 wickets for not too many runs. At this point SA were
> looking at 180 to 200 runs in the normal course of events, (they were
> 86 for 5 after 25 overs) but Ackerman (73*)and Kemp (41) played very
> well and when Kemp was dismissed Albie Morkel came in and scored a
> VERY quick 60 to give SA 267 on the board.
>
> Kruger bowled a rather wayward first over but then bowled very well to
> pick up 4 wickets in 6 overs. He bowled a good length and got the ball
> to move out in the air and in off the seam. Dippenaar took one very
> good catch and one superb catch. After Kruger and Morkel were taken
> off Thomas, Hall and Ontong did a good job. Opener Bell played very
> well for 52, but didn't enjoy much support.
>
> As I type NZ are 199 for 7 after 41 - so it's not done and dusted yet.
> Canning (with a runner) has batted well for 76 and enjoyed a
> productive partnership with Wiseman (75 partnership in 13 overs and 1
> ball). Walmsley is at the other end now. Thunder and lightning where I
> live but no rain yet. Normally a storm down here will hit the
> Wanderers about 15 minutes later.

It seems that Morkel's amazing brief but amazing contribution with the bat
was enough to get him MoM, which is understandable given it sounds as though
he contributed hugely to SA 'A' winning, but tough on Tamahou Canning, who
couldn't have done much more.

If Canning and Mason are injured, NZ 'A' might be a bit short of players.
This may result in Richard Sherlock getting a game, and possibly even the
almost-forgotten off-spinner Jeetan Patel.

Andrew

30 Sep 2004 09:24:35
CiL
Re: Fire at The Wanderers

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:50:54 +1200, "Andrew Dunford"
<[email protected] > wrote:

>nd possibly even the
>almost-forgotten off-spinner Jeetan Patel.

Is he related to that Indian descendant, Deepak Patel?

Numero Uno

30 Sep 2004 21:08:06
Craig Sutton
Re: Fire at The Wanderers

"CiL" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:50:54 +1200, "Andrew Dunford"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >nd possibly even the
> >almost-forgotten off-spinner Jeetan Patel.
>
> Is he related to that Indian descendant, Deepak Patel?

One would hope not..

30 Sep 2004 22:32:26
Andrew Dunford
Re: Fire at The Wanderers

"Bob Dubery" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> A match is taking place at The Wanderers tonight - SA 'A' v NZ 'A'.
>
> Camera shots in the latter stages of the SA 'A' innings started
> picking up a very fierce fire. The commentators were at first unable
> to discern WHERE this conflagaration was taking place (the commentary
> position at The Wanderers is high up in the north-facing stand).
>
> Now The Wanderers is on Corlett Drive. Across the road is The
> Wanderers Club, one of the oldest clubs in Johannesburg and one-time
> owners of The Wanderers stadium (they also owned the original
> Wanderers which would, today, be smack in the middle of Johannesburg
> railway station).
>
> It was this club that was on fire - the main clubhouse in fact. A
> lovely old building with a lot of character to it and with lots of
> mementoes stored and displayed.
>
> TV is not reporting the exact extent of the blaze at this point, but
> it is possible that it spread to the UCB offices which are in the
> grounds of the club, very close to the club house.

A great shame. A report can be read at:

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=14&click_id=14&art_id=qw1096528684609B216

<snip >

Andrew

30 Sep 2004 06:50:09
Bob Dubery
Re: Fire at The Wanderers

[email protected] (Bob Dubery) wrote in message news:<[email protected] >...

> TV is not reporting the exact extent of the blaze at this point, but
> it is possible that it spread to the UCB offices which are in the
> grounds of the club, very close to the club house.

The fire was contained and missed the UCB offices. Just.

30 Sep 2004 06:54:53
Bob Dubery
Re: Fire at The Wanderers

"Andrew Dunford" <[email protected] > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> It seems that Morkel's amazing brief but amazing contribution with the bat
> was enough to get him MoM, which is understandable given it sounds as though
> he contributed hugely to SA 'A' winning, but tough on Tamahou Canning, who
> couldn't have done much more.

Morkel was the obvious choice. I thought it was tough on Canning who
was top scorer, played a good innings for NZ when they were in trouble
and was easily the most economical bowler in the match. I thought the
best batsman for SA 'A' was Hylton Ackerman. Sometimes MOM awards suck
because they don't recognise that individual feats don't occur in a
vacuum. Kemp and especially Ackerman set things up for Morkel to wield
the long handle at the end.

Canning came in with a runner and I didn't expect things to end
happily. But he did what a batsman with a runner is best advised to do
- hit lots of boundaries.

30 Sep 2004 21:18:56
Bob Dubery
Re: Fire at The Wanderers

[email protected] (Bob Dubery) wrote in message news:<[email protected] >...

> Morkel was the obvious choice. I thought it was tough on Canning who
> was top scorer, played a good innings for NZ when they were in trouble
> and was easily the most economical bowler in the match. I thought the
> best batsman for SA 'A' was Hylton Ackerman.

Note to self:
*H* *D* Ackerman. Hylton Ackerman was in the commentary box running an
approving paternal eye over junior's progress.

Another note to self:
You were lucky to get away with that.

01 Oct 2004 16:45:50
Andrew Dunford
Re: Fire at The Wanderers

"Bob Dubery" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> [email protected] (Bob Dubery) wrote in message
news:<[email protected] >...

> > Morkel was the obvious choice. I thought it was tough on Canning who
> > was top scorer, played a good innings for NZ when they were in trouble
> > and was easily the most economical bowler in the match. I thought the
> > best batsman for SA 'A' was Hylton Ackerman.
>
> Note to self:
> *H* *D* Ackerman. Hylton Ackerman was in the commentary box running an
> approving paternal eye over junior's progress.
>
> Another note to self:
> You were lucky to get away with that.

Don't worry: you South Africans all look the same to me.

Andrew

02 Oct 2004 08:51:34
Bob Dubery
Re: Fire at The Wanderers

"Andrew Dunford" <[email protected].net > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Bob Dubery" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]

> > Note to self:
> > *H* *D* Ackerman. Hylton Ackerman was in the commentary box running an
> > approving paternal eye over junior's progress.
> >
> > Another note to self:
> > You were lucky to get away with that.
>
> Don't worry: you South Africans all look the same to me.

I can only applaud your colour blindness. Truly praiseworthy.