31 Jul 2006 17:11:39
Ravi
Dada set to be downgraded

http://cricket.expressindia.com/fulleistory.php?content_id=71818

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Dada set to be downgraded

K. Shriniwas Rao

BANGALORE, July 31 If Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)
officials are to be believed then former India captain Sourav Ganguly
is set to lose his Grade A contract. After not being able to find a
place in the Indian one-day team for almost a year now, Ganguly's
contract ''will now be brought down to Grade C,' a top BCCI
member told The Indian Express,.

''He has not played a single one-day match all of last season. And
his performances in the domestic circuit or even the county
championship in England have not shown any improvement. We do not see
any reason, why his Grade A contract should be retained,'' said the
board member.

However, according to a member in the selection committee, Ganguly will
be among the 30-member probables for the upcoming Champions Trophy.
''We can't keep him out of the 30. He and Zaheer Khan will figure
among the first set of probables. Thereafter, it will all depend on how
the team performs in the tri-series in Sri Lanka,'' he says.

Nevertheless, Ganguly's contract with the board is sure to be brought
down to Grade C, given the fact that ''he hasn't done much to be
earning Rs 50 lakh a year,'' says the board official.

+++++++++++++++++++++

01 Aug 2006 11:49:22
Jughead
Re: Dada set to be downgraded

Ravi wrote:
> http://cricket.expressindia.com/fulleistory.php?content_id=71818
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Dada set to be downgraded
>
> K. Shriniwas Rao
>
> BANGALORE, July 31 If Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)
> officials are to be believed then former India captain Sourav Ganguly
> is set to lose his Grade A contract. After not being able to find a
> place in the Indian one-day team for almost a year now, Ganguly's
> contract ''will now be brought down to Grade C,' a top BCCI
> member told The Indian Express,.
>
> ''He has not played a single one-day match all of last season. And
> his performances in the domestic circuit or even the county
> championship in England have not shown any improvement. We do not see
> any reason, why his Grade A contract should be retained,'' said the
> board member.
>
> However, according to a member in the selection committee, Ganguly will
> be among the 30-member probables for the upcoming Champions Trophy.
> ''We can't keep him out of the 30. He and Zaheer Khan will figure
> among the first set of probables. Thereafter, it will all depend on how
> the team performs in the tri-series in Sri Lanka,'' he says.
>
> Nevertheless, Ganguly's contract with the board is sure to be brought
> down to Grade C, given the fact that ''he hasn't done much to be
> earning Rs 50 lakh a year,'' says the board official.
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++

And some news reports suggest that he will be in the list of 30
probables for the Champions Trophy team.

-Aravind

02 Aug 2006 00:12:57
SultanOfSwing
Re: Dada set to be downgraded

Jughead wrote:
> Ravi wrote:
> > http://cricket.expressindia.com/fulleistory.php?content_id=71818
> >
> > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> > Dada set to be downgraded
> >
> > K. Shriniwas Rao
> >
> > BANGALORE, July 31 If Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)
> > officials are to be believed then former India captain Sourav Ganguly
> > is set to lose his Grade A contract. After not being able to find a
> > place in the Indian one-day team for almost a year now, Ganguly's
> > contract ''will now be brought down to Grade C,' a top BCCI
> > member told The Indian Express,.
> >
> > ''He has not played a single one-day match all of last season. And
> > his performances in the domestic circuit or even the county
> > championship in England have not shown any improvement. We do not see
> > any reason, why his Grade A contract should be retained,'' said the
> > board member.
> >
> > However, according to a member in the selection committee, Ganguly will
> > be among the 30-member probables for the upcoming Champions Trophy.
> > ''We can't keep him out of the 30. He and Zaheer Khan will figure
> > among the first set of probables. Thereafter, it will all depend on how
> > the team performs in the tri-series in Sri Lanka,'' he says.
> >
> > Nevertheless, Ganguly's contract with the board is sure to be brought
> > down to Grade C, given the fact that ''he hasn't done much to be
> > earning Rs 50 lakh a year,'' says the board official.
> >
> > +++++++++++++++++++++
>
> And some news reports suggest that he will be in the list of 30
> probables for the Champions Trophy team.
>
> -Aravind

Yes, he will be in the list of 30 probables for the Champions
Trophy. But there's a twist in the tale. More in the article
below.
How they play the game

Sourav Ganguly is suddenly back in Team India's plans, but the timing
of this decision could end up raising a stink

Deepak Narayanan

It's been so long since his name cropped up in relation to selection,
that a story-so-far wouldn't have seemed out of place.

Sourav Ganguly, a selector said yesterday (on condition of anonymity,
of course) will be picked as part of the 30 probables for the Champions
Trophy. "Ganguly is good enough to make the 30 probables," he said.
"If he does not, it will be a surprise. He is still among the top
cricketers in the country."

This statement has been backed by board secretary Niranjan Shah, who
reacted to the news saying "to find 30 men, maybe they probably
require Ganguly". Rather insulting, if you think about it.

Anyway, the last time his name had come up in connection to the team
was when he had been flicked off the team roster and tossed into the
sunset. Kicking and screaming, as is his wont, but it did look like the
sunset then. To be fair to him, he had looked India's best bat on a
seaming pitch at Karachi, but the big scores eluded his blade, India
had lost the series, and we "needed young blood".

"We will not look back now," chairman of selectors Kiran More
thundered, but his credibility was such at the end of three months of
dilly-dallying on the Ganguly issue that he was greeted with sniggers.

The Ganguly story continues to unfold as a nightmare. And this
off-the-record announcement that he'll make it to the list of
probables is another scary twist in the tale.

Niranjan Shah's assessment of having "to find 30 men" isn't too
far off the mark. Ganguly should make that list based on pedigree
itself, irrespective of the selectors' latest turnaround on the
relative importance of youth and experience (Dinesh Mongia being a case
in point).

Yet this snippet of information from the unnamed selector has been
greeted with cynisicm, and with good reason.

His run of scores for Northants points to much more than a loss of
form, it indicates a loss of confidence. In six first-class innings, he
has scored 24 runs with a highest score of nine at an average of 4.80.
His only knock of note, apart from a couple of decent hits in the
Twenty20 championship, was a 71 in the C&G Trophy.

So it couldn't have been a golden run that forced this change of
heart.

IS THIS A KICKBACK?

Then, two weeks back, he hit out against Jagmohan Dalmiya, accusing him
of having ruined his career. The timing of the email, less than a week
before the Cricket Association of Bengal elections, made it clear which
side of the bread he was buttering - the BCCI's opinion of the
former ICC president is no secret, after all.

Forgive the cynicism, but is this, the call-up to the camp, a
proverbial kickback for going against Dalmiya?

It may not be, of course. Maybe, just maybe, the selectors have finally
seen sense. Perhaps they have realised th futility of holding personal
grudges against a man who had done so much for Indian cricket. The sad
part is how hard it is to buy this theory.

Long-time critics argue that Ganguly was always a politician, and that
players he didn't want in the team suffered because of this. But
there's a stronger case there for the players he did want in the
team.

By submerging himself into the politics of the board, he has lost
credibility himself. For now, he seems to have fallen on the wrong side
of the quotable-quote: It's not whether you win or lose, it's how
you play the game.
More from http://tinyurl.com/g27e6

02 Aug 2006 09:09:16
dodo
Re: Dada set to be downgraded

SultanOfSwing wrote:
> Jughead wrote:
> > Ravi wrote:
> > > http://cricket.expressindia.com/fulleistory.php?content_id=71818
> > >
> > > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> > > Dada set to be downgraded
> > >
> > > K. Shriniwas Rao

IS he back in INdia? Don't see him in the Northants line-up today. Or
did his batting suck so much that the new coach dropped him?

03 Aug 2006 04:25:53
Andrew Dunford
Re: Dada set to be downgraded

"dodo" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> SultanOfSwing wrote:
> > Jughead wrote:

> IS he back in INdia? Don't see him in the Northants line-up today. Or
> did his batting suck so much that the new coach dropped him?

There were a number of players who had five-week contracts in order to cover
for the absence of Australia 'A' players who were away at the Top End series
in Cairns/Darwin, of whom Ganguly was one. Chris Rogers is now back at
Northants (and scored more runs today than did Ganguly in six first-class
innings).

Andrew

02 Aug 2006 13:56:23
Ravi
Re: Dada set to be downgraded

SultanOfSwing wrote:
> [...]
> former ICC president is no secret, after all.
>
> Forgive the cynicism, but is this, the call-up to the camp, a
> proverbial kickback for going against Dalmiya?
>
> It may not be, of course. Maybe, just maybe, the selectors have finally
> seen sense. Perhaps they have realised th futility of holding personal
> grudges against a man who had done so much for Indian cricket. The sad
> part is how hard it is to buy this theory.
>
> Long-time critics argue that Ganguly was always a politician, and that
> players he didn't want in the team suffered because of this. But
> there's a stronger case there for the players he did want in the
> team.
>
> By submerging himself into the politics of the board, he has lost
> credibility himself. For now, he seems to have fallen on the wrong side
> of the quotable-quote: It's not whether you win or lose, it's how

I don't think Ganguly can help the current BCCI management in any way.
After having dropped him repeatedly, it is doubtful if they (BCCI and
team) have any change in heart. It may just be a case of journalists
imparting some more spin (or a googly in this case :-) to suggest a
major plot exists and is being unravelled.

- Ravi

03 Aug 2006 01:00:04
Don II
Re: Dada set to be downgraded

Ravi wrote:
> http://cricket.expressindia.com/fulleistory.php?content_id=71818
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Dada set to be downgraded

Actually he dosen't deserve a contract if he is not part of the team.
It has been
almost a year since he is out of the team and paying him for nothing is
stupid.
This applies to young players too. Unless they have played for a full
year as
part of the team, they should not be given a contract. Otherwise, we
have so many
people in and out of the contract system that it is becoming a joke.

Don

06 Aug 2006 18:31:20
Ravi
Re: Dada set to be downgraded

Jughead wrote:
> Ravi wrote:
> > http://cricket.expressindia.com/fulleistory.php?content_id=71818
> >
> > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> > Dada set to be downgraded
> >
> > K. Shriniwas Rao
> >
> > BANGALORE, July 31 If Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)
> > officials are to be believed then former India captain Sourav Ganguly
> > is set to lose his Grade A contract. After not being able to find a
> > place in the Indian one-day team for almost a year now, Ganguly's
> > contract ''will now be brought down to Grade C,' a top BCCI
> > member told The Indian Express,.
> >
> > ''He has not played a single one-day match all of last season. And
> > his performances in the domestic circuit or even the county
> > championship in England have not shown any improvement. We do not see
> > any reason, why his Grade A contract should be retained,'' said the
> > board member.
> >
> > However, according to a member in the selection committee, Ganguly will
> > be among the 30-member probables for the upcoming Champions Trophy.
> > ''We can't keep him out of the 30. He and Zaheer Khan will figure
> > among the first set of probables. Thereafter, it will all depend on how
> > the team performs in the tri-series in Sri Lanka,'' he says.
> >
> > Nevertheless, Ganguly's contract with the board is sure to be brought
> > down to Grade C, given the fact that ''he hasn't done much to be
> > earning Rs 50 lakh a year,'' says the board official.
> >
> > +++++++++++++++++++++
>
> And some news reports suggest that he will be in the list of 30
> probables for the Champions Trophy team.
>
> -Aravind

Yes, the mention of 30 was in the OP report. But the latest seems that
the list may not have 30 probables - could be 20-22. Ganguly's last
chance may be evaporating.

+++++++++++++++++
http://content-eap.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/255725.html?CMP=OTC-RSS
Selectors to decide number of probables

August 6, 2006

The Indian board has left it to the selectors to decide on the number
of probables for the ICC Champions Trophy.

"It's up to the selection committee to choose the number of probables.
It should not exceed 30 as per the ICC's directive," said Niranjan
Shah, the board secretary. "But it's up to the selectors to decide on
the upper limit." He said that Rahul Dravid and Greg Chappell, the
coach, seemed inclined towards selecting around 20 or 22 players for
the Champions Trophy in October.

There has been speculation that Sourav Ganguly, the former captain who
has returned home after a stint at Northamptonshire, would find a place
in a 30-player list. It remains to be seen whether Ganguly, ignored by
the selectors since the three-Test series in Pakistan in January, would
still find favour if the list consists of only 20 or 22 players.