25 Jun 2005 13:48:08
Sammy The Bull Gravano
Which Pool Cue? Need Advice.

I was shopping online here:
http://store.yahoo.com/gameroomsusa/pool-cues.html

I play at home. Up 'til now, I've been using plain no-name cues that came
with the table... 2-piece maple. So Now I want a better cue, but honestly,
I have no idea where to start, or what options to look for. I know I like
20 oz.

I know I want to spend no more than $100. On the web page, I saw Players
brand. Any good? And some cues are graphite. Is graphite better than
wood?

Thanks...

-Sammy

25 Jun 2005 10:52:08
Fast Larry
Re: Which Pool Cue? Need Advice.

Yo sammy, Ize will make dis one real simple for youse guys.
www.meuccicues.com

25 Jun 2005 14:24:59
Sammy The Bull Gravano
Re: Which Pool Cue? Need Advice.

"Fast Larry" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Yo sammy, Ize will make dis one real simple for youse guys.
> www.meuccicues.com

Thanks for the link... but they are way over what I want to pay.

-Sammy

25 Jun 2005 11:35:09
Dhakala
Re: Which Pool Cue? Need Advice.

You won't get many "options" on a sub-$100 budget. Players brand is the
first that comes to mind in that range.

I don't like the feel of graphite. Some people do.

A plain ol' sneaky pete (looks like a bar cue but is a two-piece) will
be your best buy. Heubler, McDermott, Meucci are some decent brands.

Here's a no-name sneaky pete on eBay from American Cowboy Billiards,
$62.50 includes shipping. I've never bought a cue from them but I love
their chalk and chalk holders. This listing is for a 19 oz. cue. Ask
them if you can get a 20.

Good luck.

http://tinyurl.com/cvtko

25 Jun 2005 15:20:31
Sammy The Bull Gravano
Re: Which Pool Cue? Need Advice.

"Dhakala" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> You won't get many "options" on a sub-$100 budget. Players brand is the
> first that comes to mind in that range.
>
> I don't like the feel of graphite. Some people do.
>
> A plain ol' sneaky pete (looks like a bar cue but is a two-piece) will
> be your best buy. Heubler, McDermott, Meucci are some decent brands.
>
> Here's a no-name sneaky pete on eBay from American Cowboy Billiards,
> $62.50 includes shipping. I've never bought a cue from them but I love
> their chalk and chalk holders. This listing is for a 19 oz. cue. Ask
> them if you can get a 20.
>
> Good luck.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cvtko

Thanks... now I can start the shopping...

-Sammy

25 Jun 2005 12:26:42
Fast Larry
Re: Which Pool Cue? Need Advice.

Yo sammy, like I said, I'll keep it simle for youse, now choose between
pp1 pp2 pp3 pp4.
www.meuccicues.com
Oh by da way, I have da lowest prices on dees on earth, bar none.

25 Jun 2005 15:01:07
Dhakala
Re: Which Pool Cue? Need Advice.

Take a good look at the search refinement options on the left side of
the eBay pages. You can restrict the search to your price range. Set a
minimum of $50 or you'll end up with tons of listings that start at 1
cent and never end there. Set the maximum price at $100 if you wish.

25 Jun 2005 22:35:20
Re: Which Pool Cue? Need Advice.

In article <[email protected] >,
"Sammy "The Bull" Gravano" <[email protected] > wrote:

> "Fast Larry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Yo sammy, Ize will make dis one real simple for youse guys.
> > www.meuccicues.com
> >

> Thanks for the link... but they are way over what I want to pay.
>
> -Sammy

You don't want to deal with this guy anyway, Sam.

He's a loser and a con.

Peter J./

25 Jun 2005 22:26:55
Aunty Dan
Re: Which Pool Cue? Need Advice.

My first cue was a Mali Spectrum for $80 from Mueller's and I really liked
it. Just a nice plain solid cue. Some additions to what people have already
said:

1) If you want to try a graphite or fiberglass coated shaft (Cuetec and
several other brands) a cheap glove will help tremendously.
(http://www.poolndarts.com/index.cfm?CFID=6280326)

2) If you are on a limited budget invest in a good tip, which will improve
almost any cue. The key here is to find a good local cue mechanic. You may
even find if you take down the cheap no-name cues you have now and let a
good mechanic put on a quality tip, clean up the shaft and possibly replace
the ferrule (if they have a cheap plastic one or heaven forbid screw-in
tips) that you can get a very usable cue for less than $50. If you tell us
what area you are in I'm sure you'll get some suggestions.

HTH
--
Aunty Dan
"For 'tis the sport to have the engineer

"Sammy "The Bull" Gravano" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Dhakala" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> You won't get many "options" on a sub-$100 budget. Players brand is the
>> first that comes to mind in that range.
>>
>> I don't like the feel of graphite. Some people do.
>>
>> A plain ol' sneaky pete (looks like a bar cue but is a two-piece) will
>> be your best buy. Heubler, McDermott, Meucci are some decent brands.
>>
>> Here's a no-name sneaky pete on eBay from American Cowboy Billiards,
>> $62.50 includes shipping. I've never bought a cue from them but I love
>> their chalk and chalk holders. This listing is for a 19 oz. cue. Ask
>> them if you can get a 20.
>>
>> Good luck.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/cvtko
>>

> Thanks... now I can start the shopping...
>
> -Sammy

26 Jun 2005 10:41:29
Sammy The Bull Gravano
Re: Which Pool Cue? Need Advice.

Thanks to all that have responded so far.

I have 2 cues now, so I really need a good third cue just for me. The wife
and kids will use the 2 existing cues, so upgrading the tip is not an option
for me.

My Shopping Experience - So I shopped the internet, and found a few cues in
my price $100 range by Mali, Players, and Cutec just to name a few. Looked
at McDermott, but their cheapest was about $160. Anyway, these are the
features I came up with while shopping that affect price:
- shaft material (bird's eye maple, northern hard rock maple, cocobolo, etc)
- manufacturing process (e.g. is wood air dried or kiln dried, and is the
wood aged, etc)
- inlays vs. decals/paint
- Ferrule (Ivorine, Ivorine III, fiber, etc)
- joint (composite, wood-to-wood, stainless steel, etc)
- specialty cue (for breaking)

So I am leaning towards a cue with Irish linen wrap, few to no inlays, but
with a good tip/ferrule.

More Questions:
1. Do you guys use a different cue for breaking?
2. If I stick with Mali, Players, or Cutec, will I notice a difference
between the different ferrules/tips?
3. ** Just thought of this question: What do you guys look for in a cue?

"Aunty Dan" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> My first cue was a Mali Spectrum for $80 from Mueller's and I really liked
> it. Just a nice plain solid cue. Some additions to what people have
> already said:
>
> 1) If you want to try a graphite or fiberglass coated shaft (Cuetec and
> several other brands) a cheap glove will help tremendously.
> (http://www.poolndarts.com/index.cfm?CFID=6280326)
>
> 2) If you are on a limited budget invest in a good tip, which will improve
> almost any cue. The key here is to find a good local cue mechanic. You may
> even find if you take down the cheap no-name cues you have now and let a
> good mechanic put on a quality tip, clean up the shaft and possibly
> replace the ferrule (if they have a cheap plastic one or heaven forbid
> screw-in tips) that you can get a very usable cue for less than $50. If
> you tell us what area you are in I'm sure you'll get some suggestions.
>
> HTH
> --
> Aunty Dan
> "For 'tis the sport to have the engineer
> Hoisted with his own petard."
> - W. Shakespeare
>
> "Sammy "The Bull" Gravano" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> "Dhakala" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> You won't get many "options" on a sub-$100 budget. Players brand is the
>>> first that comes to mind in that range.
>>>
>>> I don't like the feel of graphite. Some people do.
>>>
>>> A plain ol' sneaky pete (looks like a bar cue but is a two-piece) will
>>> be your best buy. Heubler, McDermott, Meucci are some decent brands.
>>>
>>> Here's a no-name sneaky pete on eBay from American Cowboy Billiards,
>>> $62.50 includes shipping. I've never bought a cue from them but I love
>>> their chalk and chalk holders. This listing is for a 19 oz. cue. Ask
>>> them if you can get a 20.
>>>
>>> Good luck.
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/cvtko
>>>

>> Thanks... now I can start the shopping...
>>
>> -Sammy

28 Jun 2005 13:47:35
David Malone
Re: Which Pool Cue? Need Advice.

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:41:29 -0400, "Sammy "The Bull" Gravano"
<[email protected] > wrote:

>More Questions:
>1. Do you guys use a different cue for breaking?

I do... but only to ensure I don't damage the tip on my playing cue. A
lot of very good players break with the same cue they play with.

>2. If I stick with Mali, Players, or Cutec, will I notice a difference
>between the different ferrules/tips?

Possibly - you likely wouldn't notice any difference between ferrules.
You might see a difference in the playability of the tips - it depends
what tips are on the particular models you try. If you are a relative
beginner I'd suggest looking for a 'softer' tip.

>3. ** Just thought of this question: What do you guys look for in a cue?

Too personal to answer - it's completely subjective. I went through 5
or 6 different cues before I found one I'm really comfortable with.
You'll likely do the same.

David "The Hamster" Malone

28 Jun 2005 19:11:09
Sammy The Bull Gravano
Re: Which Pool Cue? Need Advice.

"David Malone" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:41:29 -0400, "Sammy "The Bull" Gravano"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>More Questions:
>>1. Do you guys use a different cue for breaking?
>
> I do... but only to ensure I don't damage the tip on my playing cue. A
> lot of very good players break with the same cue they play with.
>
>>2. If I stick with Mali, Players, or Cutec, will I notice a difference
>>between the different ferrules/tips?
>
> Possibly - you likely wouldn't notice any difference between ferrules.
> You might see a difference in the playability of the tips - it depends
> what tips are on the particular models you try. If you are a relative
> beginner I'd suggest looking for a 'softer' tip.
>
>>3. ** Just thought of this question: What do you guys look for in a cue?
>
> Too personal to answer - it's completely subjective. I went through 5
> or 6 different cues before I found one I'm really comfortable with.
> You'll likely do the same.
>
> David "The Hamster" Malone

Thanks David!

-Sammy