27 Jan 2007 11:18:37
Ed McCune
And Speaking of JOY and Pressure

Where do you feel the most pressure and what situations do you enjoy
playing under the most.

In out season playoffs and in Vegas I felt really relaxed yet incredibly
excited. I'm not concerned with performance issues at all, just with
playing and enjoying the situation (aka:pressure).

Singles tourneys I enjoy some but not as much yet feel almost no
pressure. i don't gamble at all so nothing there.

I feel the most nervous in just regular weekly league play strangely
enough. I feel my teammates expectations and my own the most and less of
the pure joy of competition. I stats watch too much and the fact you
only have 5 games a week to improve them causes anxiety. Why stats
watch? Can't help it. Even ignoring them doesn't help. It's the way
others evaluate your game most often and is always there in the back of
your mind. Stupid really.

Ed
--
[email protected]

27 Jan 2007 10:59:46
Bambu
Re: And Speaking of JOY and Pressure

Hey Ed. Paying attention to stats is like paying attention to the
score. Dont let either dictate what you do at the table. The only
thing you should be thinking about while youre shooting is your shot
at hand. Not the next shot, not the one before it, not the money, not
the hangar you lost the last game on, not the runout, not the score,
the stats, the waitress with the hot ass.....nothing.
Anything you think about besides the shot is disturbing what should
be your goal of of paying 100% attention to that shot at hand. To me,
the joy of pressure is being able to control it. I dont mean down to
nothing, but riding the fine line between playing hard and beating
yourself. Good Luck!

On Jan 27, 1:18 pm, Ed McCune <[email protected] > wrote:
> Where do you feel the most pressure and what situations do you enjoy
> playing under the most.
>
> In out season playoffs and in Vegas I felt really relaxed yet incredibly
> excited. I'm not concerned with performance issues at all, just with
> playing and enjoying the situation (aka:pressure).
>
> Singles tourneys I enjoy some but not as much yet feel almost no
> pressure. i don't gamble at all so nothing there.
>
> I feel the most nervous in just regular weekly league play strangely
> enough. I feel my teammates expectations and my own the most and less of
> the pure joy of competition. I stats watch too much and the fact you
> only have 5 games a week to improve them causes anxiety. Why stats
> watch? Can't help it. Even ignoring them doesn't help. It's the way
> others evaluate your game most often and is always there in the back of
> your mind. Stupid really.
>
> Ed
> --
> [email protected]

27 Jan 2007 13:58:40
Ed McCune

Bambu wrote:
> Hey Ed. Paying attention to stats is like paying attention to the
> score. Dont let either dictate what you do at the table. The only
> thing you should be thinking about while youre shooting is your shot
> at hand. Not the next shot, not the one before it, not the money, not
> the hangar you lost the last game on, not the runout, not the score,
> the stats, the waitress with the hot ass.....nothing.
> Anything you think about besides the shot is disturbing what should
> be your goal of of paying 100% attention to that shot at hand. To me,
> the joy of pressure is being able to control it. I dont mean down to
> nothing, but riding the fine line between playing hard and beating
> yourself. Good Luck!

Easy for you to say!! :-)
Really. It's always there. Not until the playoffs and Vegas does it ever
leave. It's not the stats really but the ever present "where do I stand
in relation to my peers" thing that is as old as humans are. (older_
Cows do it, apes do it we all do it. Even ZenDudes do it.

Ed
--
[email protected]

28 Jan 2007 08:02:32
bvinco

On Jan 27 2007 10:18 PM, Ed McCune wrote:

> Where do you feel the most pressure and what situations do you enjoy
> playing under the most.

I love the playoffs, and although I'm somewhat concerned with performance
issues and feel pressure, it's a good type of pressure. I usually do very
well and shoot my best pool in these situations (and have a great time in
the process).

> In out season playoffs and in Vegas I felt really relaxed yet incredibly
> excited. I'm not concerned with performance issues at all, just with
> playing and enjoying the situation (aka:pressure).

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "performance issues." In
playoffs, (as captain) I use the past seasonal performance stats (as well
as a few other issues) to decide who will play whom and in which order. I
don't keep the stats written down, but filed in my head.

> Singles tourneys I enjoy some but not as much yet feel almost no
> pressure. i don't gamble at all so nothing there.

Ditto.

Becky

------

Ed McCune

bvinco wrote:

> I love the playoffs, and although I'm somewhat concerned with performance
> issues and feel pressure, it's a good type of pressure.

Oh oh, Becky. You're in trouble now. According to Bob and Dave there is
no "good pressure". I know what you mean, though, and totally agree.

> I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "performance issues."

Just what it seems. My performance in front of everyone. In playoffs I
rarely even think of this.

Thanks

Ed

--
[email protected]

28 Jan 2007 18:31:56
Alex Kanapilly
Re: And Speaking of JOY and Pressure

> I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "performance issues." > > Becky

I think that was a leading question Becky. Guys often worry about
performance issues.

28 Jan 2007 18:39:06
Alex Kanapilly

On Jan 27, 11:18 am, Ed McCune <[email protected] > wrote:
> Where do you feel the most pressure and what situations do you enjoy
> playing under the most.

If I'm prepared, I feel pressure at the beginning of a gambling
session or at the beginning of a team event mostly.

Lately I haven't had time to practice so I'm feeling a lot of pressure
before league matches, i don't wan to let the team down. I recently
dropped to a 7 (out of 10). I'm on a very good team, Scott Tollefson,
Chisolm Woodson, Chris Onesky and Sean Halleck. They are all 8's or
higher. I'm pretty confident that I can bring my game back up with
about a month's worth of effort, but right now it's not where' I'd
like it to be so I'm feeling the pressure.

I have brought myself back up to an 8, but I'm still off my game.
There's nothing like confidence to help you enjoy the pressure.
Without it, pressure can be daunting.

Alex

28 Jan 2007 21:41:51
Zen Cueist
Re: And Speaking of JOY and Pressure

"Alex Kanapilly" <[email protected] > wrote

>> I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "performance issues." > >
>> Becky
>
> I think that was a leading question Becky. Guys often worry about
> performance issues.

But we MEN don't, Alex! ;-)

(I just can't help myself sometimes...)

--
David Hakala
The Zen Cueist

28 Jan 2007 21:44:43
Zen Cueist
Re: And Speaking of JOY and Pressure

> On Jan 27, 11:18 am, Ed McCune <[email protected]> wrote:

> Where do you feel the most pressure

In my bladder, these days.

> and what situations do you enjoy playing under the most.

Roofs.

--
David Hakala
The Zen Cueist
Denver, CO USA
"Pool excellence is NOT about excellent pool, it's about becoming someone."

29 Jan 2007 16:30:50
Bambu
Re: And Speaking of JOY and Pressure

Roofs? C'mon now. Tell me you wouldnt wanna get off the boat on a
cruise, and finally get to the beach.....you wouldnt wanna see a nice
gold crown 3 there? Hah!

On Jan 28, 11:44 pm, "Zen Cueist" <[email protected] > wrote:
> > On Jan 27, 11:18 am, Ed McCune <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Where do you feel the most pressureIn my bladder, these days.
>
> > and what situations do you enjoy playing under the most.Roofs.
>
> --
> David Hakala
> The Zen Cueist
> Denver, CO USA
> "Pool excellence is NOT about excellent pool, it's about becoming someone."

29 Jan 2007 17:54:29
Zen Cueist
Re: And Speaking of JOY and Pressure

A pool table on a beach is like a 12 year-old girl in a whorehouse... an
obscene tragedy that only perverts of the worst sort would patronize.

"Bambu" <[email protected] > wrote

> Roofs? C'mon now. Tell me you wouldnt wanna get off the boat on a
> cruise, and finally get to the beach.....you wouldnt wanna see a nice
> gold crown 3 there? Hah!
>
> On Jan 28, 11:44 pm, "Zen Cueist" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > On Jan 27, 11:18 am, Ed McCune <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > Where do you feel the most pressureIn my bladder, these days.
>>
>> > and what situations do you enjoy playing under the most.Roofs.
>>
>> --
>> David Hakala
>> The Zen Cueist
>> Denver, CO USA
>> "Pool excellence is NOT about excellent pool, it's about becoming
>> someone."

29 Jan 2007 17:23:58
Bambu
Re: And Speaking of JOY and Pressure

The only thing obscene about it would be all the ass I get on the
beach. I could see the island dude greeting me now. He hands me a
drink and a towel while he brushes down my table to keep the sand off
of it.

On Jan 29, 7:54 pm, "Zen Cueist" <[email protected] > wrote:
> A pool table on a beach is like a 12 year-old girl in a whorehouse... an
> obscene tragedy that only perverts of the worst sort would patronize.
>
> "Bambu" <[email protected]> wrote
>

> > Roofs? C'mon now. Tell me you wouldnt wanna get off the boat on a
> > cruise, and finally get to the beach.....you wouldnt wanna see a nice
> > gold crown 3 there? Hah!

> >> --
> >> David Hakala
> >> The Zen Cueist
> >> Denver, CO USA
> >> "Pool excellence is NOT about excellent pool, it's about becoming
> >> someone."- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

29 Jan 2007 23:09:48
Zen Cueist
Re: And Speaking of JOY and Pressure

You South Pacific guys are all depraved. What about the salt? What about the
seagull poop? What about ultraviolet radiation on the Simonis?

Have you NO sense of decency?!

"Bambu" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> The only thing obscene about it would be all the ass I get on the
> beach. I could see the island dude greeting me now. He hands me a
> drink and a towel while he brushes down my table to keep the sand off
> of it.
>
> On Jan 29, 7:54 pm, "Zen Cueist" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> A pool table on a beach is like a 12 year-old girl in a whorehouse... an
>> obscene tragedy that only perverts of the worst sort would patronize.

30 Jan 2007 11:13:21

On Jan 30, 1:09 am, "Zen Cueist" <[email protected] > wrote:
> You South Pacific guys are all depraved. What about the salt? What about the
> seagull poop? What about ultraviolet radiation on the Simonis?
>
> Have you NO sense of decency?!
>
> "Bambu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]

> South Pacific? I'm Italian and come from New York City. The salt, sun and bird shit fall under the category of....not my problem. Remember, its only a vacation pool fantasy.

> > The only thing obscene about it would be all the ass I get on the
> > beach. I could see the island dude greeting me now. He hands me a
> > drink and a towel while he brushes down my table to keep the sand off
> > of it.
>
> > On Jan 29, 7:54 pm, "Zen Cueist" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> A pool table on a beach is like a 12 year-old girl in a whorehouse... an
> >> obscene tragedy that only perverts of the worst sort would patronize.- Hide quoted text -

Re: And Speaking of JOY and Pressure

If you know how to play under joy, then you do not feel pressure.

BILLIARD SUPER STORE, lowest prices on pool tables, cues &
accessories. We will meet or beat any price on the net. You want it,
we have it or we will get it.
www.billiards-superstore.com

TALK POOL, 900 members, polite people, no flame wars or bozos.
Contests
Have recently given away free pool tables, cues and Seven thousand
dollars of
Pool cues, racks, balls and DVD's. It's now the 4th largest site in
the USA. These
Two sites, pool chat and FL POOL generate 10,000 hits a week from 37
countries.
www.poolchat.net

POOL SCHOOL. Book a lesson from a touring pro and master level
instructor. Bring in a trick shot show by a World Artistic champion.
See world class trick shots steam live. Just click the trick shot
show tab.
Natural pool, simple techniques, dramatic results. Video taped
lesson. You get what you come for or the lesson is free.
THE POWER SOURCE POOL SCHOOL "Fast Larry" Guninger. POOL LESSONS
FROM A MASTER LEVEL INSTRUCTOR AND WORLD CHAMPION. 770-381-6609, fax
770-381-1916 web site www.fastlarrypool.com

THE ENCYCLOPEDIA. The total learning center. Explore the Encyclopedia
section where there are 226 instruction articles and it's all free
access. Enough pool knowledge to fill 4 full books. Simply click the
link, hit enter, hit the tab at the far left which says Encyclopedia,
then register free and read and advance your game. Virtually every
question you can have is answered there.
www.fastlarrypool.com

TRICK SHOT SHOW. Bring Fast Larry in to perform his mind boggling 100
shots. See him perform the world famous legends show. See the
greatest trick shots made that the greatest players performed. Very
affordable rates. See the former world champion and Ripley's believe
it or not legend blow your socks off.
Email fastlarry @bellsouth.net fast larry at bell south dot net run
those two together. Also use fastlarry @gmail.com
May God bless and peace be with you. May there now be peace between
us. If you are a real pool player, then fast truly loves you. May
the wind be always on your back and all 9 balls fall.
VENI VIDI VICI, OMNIA VINCIT AMOR. "Fastus Maximus. " Latin for
"I came, I saw, I conquered, love conquerors all. Yes I really did
do it all and you can believe it, or not. If you don't believe it,
C'est La Vie. " Shoot straight, innovate, never give up, just run
out on the other guy then there is no way for you to lose.
THE POWER SOURCE POOL SCHOOL GOES ON THE ROAD every year and may be
coming to your home town. Check in with us to see if we can save you
a trip to Atlanta. You can pick up the current schedule at
www.poolchat.net under the forum ask fast larry. Larry's tour
schedule is also posted at www.fastlarrypool.com

Here is the schedule in the first half of 2007.
We present the spring pool schools where you can take your game to
that
next level you have dreamed about. Come to our work shop and learn
from a former world champion and master level instructor Fast Larry
Guninger. Two days of intense all day training on the weekend
Saturday
and Sunday.
The best price of any school. Only $237 a day, or $29 an hour. The
two day course is $475. No cattle car crowds where you get ignored.
We
have the lowest amount of students per instructor of any school.
March 10-12 Philadelphia, Pa
April 14-15 Atlanta, Ga
May 5-6 Washington D.C.
May 26-27 St Pete, Fla
June 16-20 & 24-25 Las Vegas, Nevada
July 7-8 Orlando, Fla
You can have the pool school come to your home room by simply getting
your entire league team to buy in for the 2 day course or get others
in
your league or school to take part. You will have to get 5 players
who will put up small advance good faith deposits and then no matter
where you live, Oregon or Maine, we show up. You can now book the
pool
school any time between January and July 2007. If you bring in five
to the school then your lesson is free and you are the 6th student at
no charge.
The pool schools have sold out for the last three years they have
been
offered. As the number of students allowed is very small these slots
sell out very fast. Snooze and you lose. You can reserve your spot
today with only an advance deposit of $50 which is totally refunded
if
you cancel out within 2 weeks of the school date.
For more details or to sign up and reserve your spot email to:
[email protected]
Flenterprises @bellsouth.net run those two together
You may call 770-381-6609 to discuss it as well.