14 Aug 2007 23:12:37
Bucky
why does the NBA withold which referees are scheduled for games?

I heard an NBA gambling expert say on a sports radio interview that a
few years back, the NBA decided to withold which referees were
scheduled for games, because pro gamblers could look up stats on refs
to predict how the over/under would be affected.

This doesn't make sense, because if the NBA witholds that information,
then the insiders would have an edge. If you make that info public,
then everyone can use the info about the over/under.

15 Aug 2007 11:52:04
Neil Cerutti
Re: why does the NBA withold which referees are scheduled for games?

On 2007-08-15, Bucky <[email protected] > wrote:
> I heard an NBA gambling expert say on a sports radio interview
> that a few years back, the NBA decided to withold which
> referees were scheduled for games, because pro gamblers could
> look up stats on refs to predict how the over/under would be
> affected.
>
> This doesn't make sense, because if the NBA witholds that
> information, then the insiders would have an edge. If you make
> that info public, then everyone can use the info about the
> over/under.

It's part of Stern's silly delusion that he can create a platoon
of indestinguishable refs, each without measurably different
tendencies.

If the ref's identities are withheld, Stern can continue to
pretend the problem either doesn't exist, or can someday be
"fixed."

Personally, I think that a crew of exemplary referees must, by
definition, have great individuality. Has anyone undistinguished
ever been great at anything?

--
Neil Cerutti