27 Nov 2005 11:43:58
s_knight8
Patterson up to his old tricks

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5113808

Starting with his rookie season with the Lakers back in 1998-99, Ruben
Patterson has always had trouble dealing with boundaries.

Standard procedure is that during practice scrimmages players are advised to
perform at about seventy-five percent of their game-time levels. Anything
more strenuous increases the chances of serious injuries, bad blood between
the competitors, and unnecessary exhaustion.
At the time, Kobe Bryant was a third-year player and, at age 21, already a
certified All-Star. Yet Patterson looked forward to practice scrimmages as a
chance to outplay Bryant and prove to the coaches (Del Harris, and then Kurt
Rambis) that he should be getting all of Kobe's playing time. That's why
Patterson defended Kobe with an inappropriate ferocity that destroyed the
proper tone of the practice sessions. And that's why one of Phil Jackson's
first official acts when he assumed command of the Lakers the following
season was to unceremoniously cut Patterson.

Six years later, Patterson still hasn't learned his lesson.

Limitations are for others. Patterson wants to start, play 40-plus minutes
every night, shoot whenever the spirit moves him, while expecting his
coach-of-the-moment, Nate McMillian, to passively accept his disrespectful
and foul-mouthed expressions of dissatisfactions. In Patterson's Ptolemaic
view of the universe, he is the sun around which all other entities revolve.

The Blazers have no other sensible choice but to trade Patterson. But to
whom? Are there any teams out there willing to bring in a guy like
Patterson, who will always play hard, and always disrupt whatever sense of
harmony any team has previously achieved. Perhaps the pitiful Hawks, or the
clawless Raptors. But, no, the buzz out of New York is that Zeke the
Clueless and Larry "Don't blame me" Brown are eager to deal for, and
embrace, Patterson.

Will wonders never cease?


No sense of self worth
Add Vladimir Radmanovic to the long list of NBA players who over-value their
own abilities. (Latrell Sprewell, of course, is the leader of the pack.)
Radmanovic turned down a six-year, $42 million pact from the Sonics, opting
for a lesser one-year deal that will make him an unrestricted free agent
next year. Even though he can't handle the ball, can't pass, doesn't play
defense, and is a totally one-dimensional player who must shoot close to
fifty percent to benefit his ball club, Radmanovic can't understand not only
why he's not getting beaucoup minutes, but why he isn't starting in the
first place.

Perhaps V-Rad should take a look at his stats - he's shooting less than 37
percent, has averaged less than three rebounds per game, has nearly as many
turnovers as assists, and attempts less than one free throw per game.

Here's what an ex-teammate had to say about Radmanovic: "The more this stiff
played, the less chance we had of winning."

So who's more of a numbskull? Radmanovic? Or Seattle's GM, Wally Walker, who
made the original and outrageous long-term offer to begin with? Faced with
such lunacy, perhaps Ray Allen can say that he had his fingers crossed when
he signed his new contract, and demand a do-over.

Not the post with the most
In Denver, Carmelo Anthony has made his wishes known: He no longer wants to
be positioned in the low post even on an occasional basis because "It ain't
working no more." This, even though Anthony is virtually unstoppable in the
pivot, even though the Nuggets have no other scoring option in the paint
(especially with the season-ending injury to Nene), and even though the
Nuggets are off to a disappointing start.

One is left to wonder exactly what Anthony means by "ain't working." Is he
adverse to the physical contact a pivot player must absorb just to get and
hold optimum position? Does he not like the fact that post players must
necessarily depend on their teammates to get them the ball? Is he upset by
the fact that pivot players are so quickly and easily double-teamed?

Judging by the way he plays, Anthony also seems to be bothered every time he
has to make a non-assist pass, every time he has to play defense, every time
he has to make a swift offense-to-defense transition, and every time
somebody else shoots the ball.

So, let's discount all of those puffy-cozy stories coming out of Denver
praising the new, mature Carmelo Anthony. In putting his own welfare above
the interest of his team, C-Ant proves once again that he's still a spoiled
brat.





27 Nov 2005 21:53:29
Jeremey Wilson
Re: Patterson up to his old tricks


"s_knight8" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5113808
> Here's what an ex-teammate had to say about Radmanovic: "The more this
stiff
> played, the less chance we had of winning."

Calvin Booth takes no prisoners.

--
Jeremey




28 Nov 2005 02:11:42
Granville Waiters' Ghost
Re: Patterson up to his old tricks

In article <[email protected] >, "Jeremey
Wilson" <[email protected] > wrote:

> "s_knight8" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5113808
> > Here's what an ex-teammate had to say about Radmanovic: "The more this
> stiff
> > played, the less chance we had of winning."
>
> Calvin Booth takes no prisoners.


I was thinking Jerome James, actually. Not a whole lot of other
guys it could be. Antonio Daniels? I doubt that.


27 Nov 2005 21:46:44
Donkeydode
Re: Patterson up to his old tricks

I was thinking Desmond Mason
"Granville Waiters' Ghost" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In article <[email protected]>, "Jeremey
> Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "s_knight8" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > > http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5113808
> > > Here's what an ex-teammate had to say about Radmanovic: "The more this
> > stiff
> > > played, the less chance we had of winning."
> >
> > Calvin Booth takes no prisoners.
>
>
> I was thinking Jerome James, actually. Not a whole lot of other
> guys it could be. Antonio Daniels? I doubt that.




27 Nov 2005 22:18:05
Jeremey Wilson
Re: Patterson up to his old tricks

Okay, I'll change my guess to Joseph Forte.

Is there really an NBA player that would talk to Charley Rosen? I say
no. That makes me think it wouldn't be overparsing to note that we're
only told it was an "ex-teammate". And there was all that
unpleasantness on the Serbian team. "The more this stiff played, the
less chance we had of winning" doesn't sound like a realistic bit of
dialogue (you'd say "that", for one thing, unless the guy was standing
there); but "More steef play, less veen! Less veen!" does, so maybe
Rosen just cleaned it up a bit to protect the anonymity of his source.

--
Jeremey

Donkeydode wrote:
> I was thinking Desmond Mason
> "Granville Waiters' Ghost" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > In article <[email protected]>, "Jeremey
> > Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > "s_knight8" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]
> > > > http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5113808
> > > > Here's what an ex-teammate had to say about Radmanovic: "The more this
> > > stiff
> > > > played, the less chance we had of winning."
> > >
> > > Calvin Booth takes no prisoners.
> >
> >
> > I was thinking Jerome James, actually. Not a whole lot of other
> > guys it could be. Antonio Daniels? I doubt that.



28 Nov 2005 07:13:39
Granville Waiters' Ghost
Re: Patterson up to his old tricks

In article <[email protected] >,
"Jeremey Wilson" <[email protected] > wrote:

> Okay, I'll change my guess to Joseph Forte.


See, Rad didn't really get the opportunity to become a full-on
chucker until last season. So I'm thinking it must have been
someone more recent...


> Is there really an NBA player that would talk to Charley Rosen? I say
> no.


Is there still anyone that reads Charley Rosen now that we know
where Phil Jackson is employed? Again, my answer is no. The guy
was interesting only insofar as one cared about the possibility
of Phil Jackson coaching their team, and believed he might have
possibly confided something in Rosen.


> That makes me think it wouldn't be overparsing to note that we're
> only told it was an "ex-teammate". And there was all that
> unpleasantness on the Serbian team. "The more this stiff played, the
> less chance we had of winning" doesn't sound like a realistic bit of
> dialogue (you'd say "that", for one thing, unless the guy was standing
> there); but "More steef play, less veen! Less veen!" does, so maybe
> Rosen just cleaned it up a bit to protect the anonymity of his source.


It does sound like a bit of cartoon dialogue. It's also totally
devoid of MTV-quality hip-hop--"The more that chump played..."
"The more that sucka played..." etc.

On the other hand, Marko Jaric vs. Vladimir Radmanovic is hardly
more compelling.