26 Jun 2003 08:17:41
s_knight8
Madsen Energized by Baghdad Trip

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-madsen26jun26,1,4799371.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-lakers

It's the NBA's down time, and some guys go to Cabo, others to Maui,
wherever there are nightclubs or golf or whatever.

Mark Madsen went to Baghdad.

"We have some real heroes over there," he said Wednesday afternoon,
four days after his 16-hour return trip. "I came home with this
tremendous appreciation and feeling of awe for the U.S. Armed Forces.
Now I understand why they call it the 'service.' They're providing a
profound service for all of us."

As part of a joint USO-NBA effort, Madsen and dozens of other
athletes, actors and entertainers left Washington on June 16 and
returned Saturday. In between, the likes of Madsen, Wayne Newton, Kid
Rock, Duce Staley, Bob Lanier, John and Rebecca Stamos and the Dallas
Cowboy cheerleaders mingled, sang, danced and put on basketball
clinics, Madsen sticking mostly to the basketball.

If you missed it, don't feel bad. The NBA did not publicize it, and
Madsen had to be pressed for details.

"We were just doing it to do the right thing," said Brian McIntyre, a
league senior vice president.

So, Madsen went along, shook a lot of hands, gathered a lot of e-mail
addresses, made some promises to send back autographed basketballs,
and heard a lot of stories. He met U.S. Army Gen. Tommy Franks, who on
one flight from Kuwait City to Baghdad broke up everybody by pouring
cold water on a dozing Cherokee Parks.

Madsen poked around one of Saddam Hussein's palaces, heard Kid Rock
entertain 5,000 servicemen in a dusty hangar with "Sweet Home
Alabama," then watched Parks, Shawn Marion and Troy Hudson get beat by
three GIs in a three-point shooting contest; the Lakers would be glad
to know Hudson misses on some continents.

In all, Madsen visited Baghdad twice, each time finding troops
thrilled to see a 6-foot-9 piece of home, of normality.

"I just really wanted to go," Madsen said. "I wanted to do my part,
give some sort of support for those great men and women. No. 2, I
wanted to see that part of the world.

"The goal was to spend some time with the U.S. troops to build morale,
to let them know we appreciate them. I'm telling you, they were so
fired up. It was so intense It was so inspirational to see what they
were doing."

26 Jun 2003 15:25:11
Neil Cerutti
Re: Madsen Energized by Baghdad Trip

In article <[email protected] >, s_knight8 wrote:
> http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-madsen26jun26,1,4799371.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-lakers
>
> It's the NBA's down time, and some guys go to Cabo, others to
> Maui, wherever there are nightclubs or golf or whatever.
>
> Mark Madsen went to Baghdad.
>
> As part of a joint USO-NBA effort, Madsen and dozens of other
> athletes, actors and entertainers left Washington on June 16
> and returned Saturday. In between, the likes of Madsen, Wayne
> Newton, Kid Rock, Duce Staley, Bob Lanier, John and Rebecca
> Stamos and the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders mingled, sang, danced
> and put on basketball clinics, Madsen sticking mostly to the
> basketball.

Mostly.

I wonder how many G.I.s showed up to see Madsen's "Battle of
Iraq Victory Dance at Jabba's Palace."

--
Neil Cerutti

27 Jun 2003 07:08:40
Huang Gang
Re: Madsen Energized by Baghdad Trip

ah well, he went to Standfurd, so he doesn't know better..........

news:[email protected]