20 Feb 2006 01:04:43
s_knight8
Iverson unhappy with dunk contest

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AsI.Q4ZlU43QWLe19uQVn6u8vLYF?slug=ap-a
ll-star-notebook&prov=ap&type=lgns

HOUSTON (AP) -- Kobe Bryant had a nice consolation prize waiting in the
locker room after his West team lost to the East 122-120 in the NBA All-Star
game on Sunday night.

Rayshawn Bright, a 7-year-old Hurricane Katrina victim whom Bryant has
befriended, was sitting at his locker with a gift.

He gave him a stuffed raccoon with gold, purple and green Mardi Gras beads
hanging from his neck.

"I love Kobe," Bright said. "He's tall and he gives me a call sometimes."

Bryant and Bright met in September when the Los Angeles Lakers star was in
Houston for a Katrina relief charity game and have been friends since.

"He's my man here," said Bryant, who finished with eight points and eight
assists on Sunday. "Every time I'm in Houston he comes out and checks out
the game and I hook him up with stuff."

Bryant's face lit up when he saw the boy and the two exchanged a high five
and he handed him some armbands and other goodies before the star faced the
throng of reporters also waiting for him.

UNHAPPY IVERSON

Philadelphia 76ers All-Star Allen Iverson is upset.

He thinks his 76ers teammate Andre Iguodala should have won Saturday's dunk
contest.

The 6-foot-6 Iguodala lost to 5-9 Nate Robinson by one point in a dunk-off.
Robinson didn't complete his last dunk off until the 14th try.

Iverson contends that the judges purposely forced the contest in to a
tiebreaker to extend the fun for the fans.

"It's still not sitting right with me," he said Sunday. "Just because he's a
young guy and that's something that he wanted for himself, for his family,
for his people in Philadelphia and for it not to happen it was bad.

And the way it happened, I think he deserved to win."

Others were upset that Robinson was allowed so many chances to complete his
dunk.

But Kenny Smith, one of the judges of the event, said he only cared about
dunks that were completed. He discounted attempts, so didn't penalize
Robinson for needing so many tries before getting his title-winning dunk
down.

"The final dunk, Nate Robinson's dunk was better," he said.

Commissioner David Stern said the league always looks at ways to improve
All-Star Saturday night, but thinks "the right rule is not to penalize
them."

Former champion Vince Carter wasn't interested in offering his opinion.

"I leave that alone, it's not my business," he said. "I don't want to hear
from the NBA."

After the event Iguodala said he "wasn't too worried about it," but Iverson
is concerned that that isn't the case.

"I don't think he's even going to want to do it again," Iverson said.

BUTTERFLIES

Boston's Paul Pierce is an All-Star game veteran. But he said he still
battles nerves.

"I'm nervous every time. Just the hype around it, the celebrities sitting
courtside, you can't help it," he said.

Pierce has warm memories of his All-Star debut in 2002 in Philadelphia.

"I was sitting next to Michael Jordan on the bench and he said, 'I bet you
miss your first three shots.' "

Sure enough, Pierce bricked a five-footer. "Almost air-balled it," he said
with a laugh.

Iverson said he still gets nervous any time he steps on a court, whether
it's the All-Star game or a pick-up game with his buddies.

"It's always been like that since I started playing basketball," he said.
"But I just think there's nothing wrong with it. That's just the way it is."

TRASH TALKING

Ray Allen and Elton Brand still closely follow their respective college
programs, Connecticut and Duke.

Both say their teams from the late 1990s would beat this year's Huskies and
Blue Devils, now the No. 1 and No. 2 teams in the country.

Allen said his best Huskies team would beat the current UConn squad in a
best-of-seven series, but the Seattle guard said this year's team is still
one of the best in college.

Brand, who played from Duke from 1997-99, said his Blue Devils squad that
made the 1999 Final Four was more complete than this year's team.

If they played, Brand envisioned a high-scoring shooting duel between Trajan
Langdon and current Duke standout J.J. Redick, but said the rest of his team
would dominate the current Blue Devils.

"My '99 squad, that was one of the best teams we had in a while over there,"
said Brand, representing the Los Angeles Clippers in his second All-Star
Game. "We could definitely take this year's team. We'd get after those
guys."

OH, CANADA

Phoenix Suns star Steve Nash idolized Wayne Gretzky growing up in Canada.
Gretzky's wife Janet Jones has been linked to a gambling ring allegedly run
by former NHL player Rick Tocchet, but Nash doesn't think his boyhood idol
deserves the criticism he has received.

"He didn't do anything wrong," said Nash, playing in his fourth All-Star
Game. "I don't know why everyone's making a big deal out of it."

Nash also has been following the Canadian hockey team's struggles at the
Winter Olympics, but was confident the gold-medal favorites would bounce
back.

"I think they lost to Sweden in Salt Lake City and came back to win," Nash
said. "They have a really strong group mentally. They'll be fine."

20 Feb 2006 00:18:41
brink
Re: Iverson unhappy with dunk contest

"s_knight8" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AsI.Q4ZlU43QWLe19uQVn6u8vLYF?slug=ap-a
> ll-star-notebook&prov=ap&type=lgns
>
> UNHAPPY IVERSON
>
> Philadelphia 76ers All-Star Allen Iverson is upset.
>
> He thinks his 76ers teammate Andre Iguodala should have won Saturday's
> dunk
> contest.
>
> The 6-foot-6 Iguodala lost to 5-9 Nate Robinson by one point in a
> dunk-off.
> Robinson didn't complete his last dunk off until the 14th try.
>
> Iverson contends that the judges purposely forced the contest in to a
> tiebreaker to extend the fun for the fans.
>
> "It's still not sitting right with me," he said Sunday. "Just because he's
> young guy and that's something that he wanted for himself, for his family,
> for his people in Philadelphia and for it not to happen it was bad.
>
> And the way it happened, I think he deserved to win."
>
> Others were upset that Robinson was allowed so many chances to complete
> his
> dunk.
>
> But Kenny Smith, one of the judges of the event, said he only cared about
> dunks that were completed. He discounted attempts, so didn't penalize
> Robinson for needing so many tries before getting his title-winning dunk
> down.
>
> "The final dunk, Nate Robinson's dunk was better," he said.
>
> Commissioner David Stern said the league always looks at ways to improve
> All-Star Saturday night, but thinks "the right rule is not to penalize
> them."
>
> Former champion Vince Carter wasn't interested in offering his opinion.
>
> "I leave that alone, it's not my business," he said. "I don't want to hear
> from the NBA."
>
> After the event Iguodala said he "wasn't too worried about it," but
> Iverson
> is concerned that that isn't the case.
>
> "I don't think he's even going to want to do it again," Iverson said.

Just another example of reverse heightism run amok in today's NBA.

brink

20 Feb 2006 02:02:43
Zoe Chen
Re: Iverson unhappy with dunk contest

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 00:18:41 -0600, "brink" <[email protected] >
wrote:

>"s_knight8" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>> http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AsI.Q4ZlU43QWLe19uQVn6u8vLYF?slug=ap-a
>> ll-star-notebook&prov=ap&type=lgns
>>
>> UNHAPPY IVERSON
>>
>> Philadelphia 76ers All-Star Allen Iverson is upset.
>>
>> He thinks his 76ers teammate Andre Iguodala should have won Saturday's
>> dunk
>> contest.
>>
>> The 6-foot-6 Iguodala lost to 5-9 Nate Robinson by one point in a
>> dunk-off.
>> Robinson didn't complete his last dunk off until the 14th try.
>>
>> Iverson contends that the judges purposely forced the contest in to a
>> tiebreaker to extend the fun for the fans.
>>
>> "It's still not sitting right with me," he said Sunday. "Just because he's
>> young guy and that's something that he wanted for himself, for his family,
>> for his people in Philadelphia and for it not to happen it was bad.
>>
>> And the way it happened, I think he deserved to win."
>>
>> Others were upset that Robinson was allowed so many chances to complete
>> his
>> dunk.
>>
>> But Kenny Smith, one of the judges of the event, said he only cared about
>> dunks that were completed. He discounted attempts, so didn't penalize
>> Robinson for needing so many tries before getting his title-winning dunk
>> down.
>>
>> "The final dunk, Nate Robinson's dunk was better," he said.
>>
>> Commissioner David Stern said the league always looks at ways to improve
>> All-Star Saturday night, but thinks "the right rule is not to penalize
>> them."
>>
>> Former champion Vince Carter wasn't interested in offering his opinion.
>>
>> "I leave that alone, it's not my business," he said. "I don't want to hear
>> from the NBA."
>>
>> After the event Iguodala said he "wasn't too worried about it," but
>> Iverson
>> is concerned that that isn't the case.
>>
>> "I don't think he's even going to want to do it again," Iverson said.
>
>Just another example of reverse heightism run amok in today's NBA.
>
>brink

But come on, 14 tries? There's no penalty for failing 14 times? Gosh,
I wish they have that in the regular games. Give 1 point for every
missed basket.

19 Feb 2006 23:21:37
Swillabrew
Re: Iverson unhappy with dunk contest

"Zoe Chen" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 00:18:41 -0600, "brink" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>"s_knight8" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]
>>> http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AsI.Q4ZlU43QWLe19uQVn6u8vLYF?slug=ap-a
>>> ll-star-notebook&prov=ap&type=lgns
>>>
>>> UNHAPPY IVERSON
>>>
>>> Philadelphia 76ers All-Star Allen Iverson is upset.
>>>
>>> He thinks his 76ers teammate Andre Iguodala should have won Saturday's
>>> dunk
>>> contest.
>>>
>>> The 6-foot-6 Iguodala lost to 5-9 Nate Robinson by one point in a
>>> dunk-off.
>>> Robinson didn't complete his last dunk off until the 14th try.
>>>
>>> Iverson contends that the judges purposely forced the contest in to a
>>> tiebreaker to extend the fun for the fans.
>>>
>>> "It's still not sitting right with me," he said Sunday. "Just because
>>> he's
>>> young guy and that's something that he wanted for himself, for his
>>> family,
>>> for his people in Philadelphia and for it not to happen it was bad.
>>>
>>> And the way it happened, I think he deserved to win."
>>>
>>> Others were upset that Robinson was allowed so many chances to complete
>>> his
>>> dunk.
>>>
>>> But Kenny Smith, one of the judges of the event, said he only cared
>>> about
>>> dunks that were completed. He discounted attempts, so didn't penalize
>>> Robinson for needing so many tries before getting his title-winning dunk
>>> down.
>>>
>>> "The final dunk, Nate Robinson's dunk was better," he said.
>>>
>>> Commissioner David Stern said the league always looks at ways to improve
>>> All-Star Saturday night, but thinks "the right rule is not to penalize
>>> them."
>>>
>>> Former champion Vince Carter wasn't interested in offering his opinion.
>>>
>>> "I leave that alone, it's not my business," he said. "I don't want to
>>> hear
>>> from the NBA."
>>>
>>> After the event Iguodala said he "wasn't too worried about it," but
>>> Iverson
>>> is concerned that that isn't the case.
>>>
>>> "I don't think he's even going to want to do it again," Iverson said.
>>
>>Just another example of reverse heightism run amok in today's NBA.
>>
>>brink
>>

> But come on, 14 tries? There's no penalty for failing 14 times? Gosh,
> I wish they have that in the regular games. Give 1 point for every
> missed basket.

If they give one guy 14 tries to make one dunk, they should give all the
other guys 14 tries to make better dunks than the ones they've already made.
They are penalizing the guys who make their dunks cleanly. Total bullshit.

Didn't they used to get 3 or 5 chances & that was it? Where's the incentive
to perform if you get to keep trying over & over & over?

Go Blazers !

20 Feb 2006 07:32:44
Kurt Straub
Re: Iverson unhappy with dunk contest

Having now seen the two dunks, I think Andre's was more impressive,
even leaving out the factor of the number of misses. This is entirely
subjective, of course. Robinson's completed slam was quite nifty.
Actually it was less the slam itself than jumping over another human
being! As enjoyable as that was, however, I still can't believe what
Andre did. No matter how many times I replay it, it seems physically
impossible. Somehow he head must have gone *through* the backboard?
And the AI-AI combination only practiced this bit *once*? Just goes
to show what marvelous athletes these guys are.

Final word to Iverson: you may be right, but don't worry about it
bro. It's only an exhibition contest. Save the passion for winning
the contests that count.

----- Kurt Straub

s_knight8 wrote:
> http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AsI.Q4ZlU43QWLe19uQVn6u8vLYF?slug=ap-a
> ll-star-notebook&prov=ap&type=lgns

> UNHAPPY IVERSON
>
> Philadelphia 76ers All-Star Allen Iverson is upset.
>
> He thinks his 76ers teammate Andre Iguodala should have won Saturday's dunk
> contest.
>
> The 6-foot-6 Iguodala lost to 5-9 Nate Robinson by one point in a dunk-off.
> Robinson didn't complete his last dunk off until the 14th try.
>
> Iverson contends that the judges purposely forced the contest in to a
> tiebreaker to extend the fun for the fans.
>
> "It's still not sitting right with me," he said Sunday. "Just because he's a
> young guy and that's something that he wanted for himself, for his family,
> for his people in Philadelphia and for it not to happen it was bad.
>
> And the way it happened, I think he deserved to win."
>
> Others were upset that Robinson was allowed so many chances to complete his
> dunk.

20 Feb 2006 10:30:19
bdog
Re: Iverson unhappy with dunk contest

Zoe Chen <[email protected] > wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> But come on, 14 tries? There's no penalty for failing 14 times? Gosh,
> I wish they have that in the regular games. Give 1 point for every
> missed basket.

Actually, this is how they determine who graduates with a high school
diploma in California. They start as freshman and keep taking the test
until they pass it.

bdog

20 Feb 2006 16:55:31
David Lentz
Re: Iverson unhappy with dunk contest

"bdog" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Zoe Chen <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>

> > But come on, 14 tries? There's no penalty for failing 14 times? Gosh,
> > I wish they have that in the regular games. Give 1 point for every
> > missed basket.
> >

> Actually, this is how they determine who graduates with a high school
> diploma in California. They start as freshman and keep taking the test
> until they pass it.
>
> bdog

The dunk contest is a joke. Nate Robinson can barely dunk the ball, and
don't believe he has a single dunk outside of garbage time. The Knicks
best dunkeris Eddie Curry, by far. Curry dunks in games. Robinson in
staged events.

20 Feb 2006 14:19:27
Jimbo
Re: Iverson unhappy with dunk contest

"David Lentz" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "bdog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Zoe Chen <[email protected]> wrote in
>> news:[email protected]:
>>

>> > But come on, 14 tries? There's no penalty for failing 14 times? Gosh,
>> > I wish they have that in the regular games. Give 1 point for every
>> > missed basket.
>> >

>> Actually, this is how they determine who graduates with a high school
>> diploma in California. They start as freshman and keep taking the test
>> until they pass it.
>>
>> bdog
>
> The dunk contest is a joke. Nate Robinson can barely dunk the ball, and
> don't believe he has a single dunk outside of garbage time. The Knicks
> best dunkeris Eddie Curry, by far. Curry dunks in games. Robinson in
> staged events.
>

>How can you say he can barely dunk the ball?.....The man is 5 ft 8 at best.
>He can get up.....can you even touch the net?

20 Feb 2006 20:44:20
David Lentz
Re: Iverson unhappy with dunk contest

"Jimbo" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "David Lentz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > "bdog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> >> Zoe Chen <[email protected]> wrote in
> >> news:[email protected]:

Gosh,

> >> Actually, this is how they determine who graduates with a high school
> >> diploma in California. They start as freshman and keep taking the test
> >> until they pass it.
> >>
> >> bdog
> >
> > The dunk contest is a joke. Nate Robinson can barely dunk the ball, and
> > don't believe he has a single dunk outside of garbage time. The Knicks
> > best dunkeris Eddie Curry, by far. Curry dunks in games. Robinson
in
> > staged events.
> >

> >How can you say he can barely dunk the ball?.....The man is 5 ft 8 at
best.
> >He can get up.....can you even touch the net?

Nate Robinson is not a game time dunker. When the game is on the line,
he is not capable of dunking.

20 Feb 2006 15:55:09
Lee Watkins

David Lentz wrote:
> "Jimbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>>"David Lentz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]
>>
>>>"bdog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]

> Gosh,

>>>The dunk contest is a joke. Nate Robinson can barely dunk the ball, and
>>>don't believe he has a single dunk outside of garbage time. The Knicks
>>>best dunkeris Eddie Curry, by far. Curry dunks in games. Robinson
>
> in
>
>>>staged events.
>>>

>>>How can you say he can barely dunk the ball?.....The man is 5 ft 8 at
>
> best.
>
>>>He can get up.....can you even touch the net?
>

> Nate Robinson is not a game time dunker. When the game is on the line,
> he is not capable of dunking.

who dunks when the game is on the line?
funny how he went from "can barely dunk" to "not a game time dunker",
whatever that is.

lee

20 Feb 2006 22:25:39
Zoe Chen
Re: Iverson unhappy with dunk contest

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 20:44:20 GMT, "David Lentz"
<[email protected] > wrote:

>"Jimbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>>
>> "David Lentz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>> >
>> > "bdog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]

>Gosh,

>> > The dunk contest is a joke. Nate Robinson can barely dunk the ball, and
>> > don't believe he has a single dunk outside of garbage time. The Knicks
>> > best dunkeris Eddie Curry, by far. Curry dunks in games. Robinson
>in
>> > staged events.
>> >

>> >How can you say he can barely dunk the ball?.....The man is 5 ft 8 at
>best.
>> >He can get up.....can you even touch the net?
>
>Nate Robinson is not a game time dunker. When the game is on the line,
>he is not capable of dunking.

Nobody's a gametime dunker. Everyone dunks when the path is clear.
Unless you're Shaq that powers people away, that's about it.

20 Feb 2006 20:08:35
Alson Wong
Re: Iverson unhappy with dunk contest

"Zoe Chen" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Nobody's a gametime dunker. Everyone dunks when the path is clear.
> Unless you're Shaq that powers people away, that's about it.

Kevin Johnson over Hakeem. Pippen over Ewing. Jordan over Ewing. Kobe over
Yao.

21 Feb 2006 00:14:20
Zoe Chen
Re: Iverson unhappy with dunk contest

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 20:08:35 -0800, "Alson Wong"
<[email protected]_l_o_c_k > wrote:

>"Zoe Chen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>> Nobody's a gametime dunker. Everyone dunks when the path is clear.
>> Unless you're Shaq that powers people away, that's about it.
>
>Kevin Johnson over Hakeem. Pippen over Ewing. Jordan over Ewing. Kobe over
>Yao.

Oh please. Just because a guy is next to you doesn't mean "dunked
over." I guess you can add Starks over Jordan+Grant huh?

20 Feb 2006 21:27:46
Alson Wong
Re: Iverson unhappy with dunk contest

"Zoe Chen" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 20:08:35 -0800, "Alson Wong"
> <[email protected]_l_o_c_k> wrote:
>
>>"Zoe Chen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]
>>> Nobody's a gametime dunker. Everyone dunks when the path is clear.
>>> Unless you're Shaq that powers people away, that's about it.
>>
>>Kevin Johnson over Hakeem. Pippen over Ewing. Jordan over Ewing. Kobe over
>>Yao.
>
> Oh please. Just because a guy is next to you doesn't mean "dunked
> over." I guess you can add Starks over Jordan+Grant huh?

Re-read your previous post: "Nobody's a gametime dunker. Everyone dunks when
the path is clear."

All of the dunks I mentioned were "gametime" dunks, and the second player
mentioned in each instance was between the dunker and the basket, denying
the dunker a clear path, not just next to the guy.

21 Feb 2006 01:20:46
Dan Gaters
Re: Iverson unhappy with dunk contest

Alson Wong:

> Kevin Johnson over Hakeem. Pippen over Ewing. Jordan over Ewing. Kobe over
> Yao.

And, of course, Vince Carter over one of the great Knicks: F. Weiss.

---
Dan

21 Feb 2006 07:57:37
Chris Zabel
Re: Iverson unhappy with dunk contest

> UNHAPPY IVERSON
>
> Philadelphia 76ers All-Star Allen Iverson is upset.
>
> He thinks his 76ers teammate Andre Iguodala should have won Saturday's
dunk
> contest.
>
> The 6-foot-6 Iguodala lost to 5-9 Nate Robinson by one point in a
dunk-off.
> Robinson didn't complete his last dunk off until the 14th try.
>
> Iverson contends that the judges purposely forced the contest in to a
> tiebreaker to extend the fun for the fans.
>
> "It's still not sitting right with me," he said Sunday. "Just because he's
> young guy and that's something that he wanted for himself, for his family,
> for his people in Philadelphia and for it not to happen it was bad.
>
> And the way it happened, I think he deserved to win."
>
> Others were upset that Robinson was allowed so many chances to complete
his
> dunk.

Robinson winning the slam dunk contest was a joke. Iguodala comes up with 2
dunks that no one else on the planet can perform(outside of Vince Carter
anyway) and loses to a guy who misses 14 attempts before getting lucky.
Then the apparent changing of the scores to extend a contest for no reason
just adds insult to injury. It's things like this why the NBA has an image
problem among the average sports fan and why the league has yet to recover
from Jordan retiring...

--
"They tease me now, telling me it was only a dream. But does it matter
whether it was a dream or reality, if the dream made known to me the

21 Feb 2006 01:53:39
Joe Blow

Chris Zabel wrote:
> > UNHAPPY IVERSON
> >
> > Philadelphia 76ers All-Star Allen Iverson is upset.
> >
> > He thinks his 76ers teammate Andre Iguodala should have won Saturday's
> dunk
> > contest.
> >
> > The 6-foot-6 Iguodala lost to 5-9 Nate Robinson by one point in a
> dunk-off.
> > Robinson didn't complete his last dunk off until the 14th try.
> >
> > Iverson contends that the judges purposely forced the contest in to a
> > tiebreaker to extend the fun for the fans.
> >
> > "It's still not sitting right with me," he said Sunday. "Just because he's
> > young guy and that's something that he wanted for himself, for his family,
> > for his people in Philadelphia and for it not to happen it was bad.
> >
> > And the way it happened, I think he deserved to win."
> >
> > Others were upset that Robinson was allowed so many chances to complete
> his
> > dunk.
>
> Robinson winning the slam dunk contest was a joke. Iguodala comes up with 2
> dunks that no one else on the planet can perform(outside of Vince Carter
> anyway) and loses to a guy who misses 14 attempts before getting lucky.
> Then the apparent changing of the scores to extend a contest for no reason
> just adds insult to injury. It's things like this why the NBA has an image
> problem among the average sports fan and why the league has yet to recover
> from Jordan retiring...

Amen. Apparently, the NBA thinks we're all going to be uber-excited
because they rigged it so that a midget would win the slam dunk
contest. Woo hoo hoo. Yup, this sure has resuscitated my interest in
watching the average NBA ballgame. Nate Robinson will be washed up
before his NBA career reaches three seasons, because unlike Spud Webb
he can't play the point. He's about as useful as Eddie Gaedel.

http://www.paperpast.com/html/1951_baseball.html

JB

21 Feb 2006 11:42:03
Smooth B
Re: Iverson unhappy with dunk contest

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:55:31 GMT, "David Lentz"
<[email protected] > wrote:

>"bdog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>> Zoe Chen <[email protected]> wrote in
>> news:[email protected]:
>>

>> > But come on, 14 tries? There's no penalty for failing 14 times? Gosh,
>> > I wish they have that in the regular games. Give 1 point for every
>> > missed basket.
>> >

>> Actually, this is how they determine who graduates with a high school
>> diploma in California. They start as freshman and keep taking the test
>> until they pass it.
>>
>> bdog
>
>The dunk contest is a joke. Nate Robinson can barely dunk the ball, and
>don't believe he has a single dunk outside of garbage time. The Knicks
>best dunkeris Eddie Curry, by far. Curry dunks in games. Robinson in
>staged events.

Curry 6'11"
Nate 5'7"

21 Feb 2006 11:42:54
Smooth B

<[email protected] > wrote:

>"Jimbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>>
>> "David Lentz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>> >
>> > "bdog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]

>Gosh,

>> > The dunk contest is a joke. Nate Robinson can barely dunk the ball, and
>> > don't believe he has a single dunk outside of garbage time. The Knicks
>> > best dunkeris Eddie Curry, by far. Curry dunks in games. Robinson
>in
>> > staged events.
>> >

>> >How can you say he can barely dunk the ball?.....The man is 5 ft 8 at
>best.
>> >He can get up.....can you even touch the net?
>
>Nate Robinson is not a game time dunker. When the game is on the line,
>he is not capable of dunking.

Could it be because he is 5'7" ???

21 Feb 2006 15:01:36
David Lentz
Re: Iverson unhappy with dunk contest

"Alson Wong" <[email protected]_l_o_c_k > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Zoe Chen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 20:08:35 -0800, "Alson Wong"
> > <[email protected]_l_o_c_k> wrote:
> >
> >>"Zoe Chen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >>news:[email protected]
> >>
> >>Kevin Johnson over Hakeem. Pippen over Ewing. Jordan over Ewing. Kobe
over
> >>Yao.
> >
> > Oh please. Just because a guy is next to you doesn't mean "dunked
> > over." I guess you can add Starks over Jordan+Grant huh?
>
> Re-read your previous post: "Nobody's a gametime dunker. Everyone dunks
when
> the path is clear."
>
> All of the dunks I mentioned were "gametime" dunks, and the second player
> mentioned in each instance was between the dunker and the basket, denying
> the dunker a clear path, not just next to the guy.

Well there two big elements to dunking ability, one is the path to the
basket, but we missing the second one. mimimum required take off speed.
Eddie Curry can drunk when standing under the basket. In contrast, Nate
Robinson needs a long running start from half court. Robinson is a poor
game time dunker because he needs to much room to get up to take off speed
to practically predude any game time dunks. On the other hand,. Curry
can dunk a offensive rebound. That is a major diffence in dunking ability.

David

21 Feb 2006 10:13:56
Dov'e' Google Alpha?
Re: Iverson unhappy with dunk contest

<< Robinson winning the slam dunk contest was a joke. Iguodala comes
up with 2
dunks that no one else on the planet can perform(outside of Vince
Carter
anyway) >>

Which was the other? I saw the backboard one.

I missed the full contest

21 Feb 2006 14:20:16
Bucky

David Lentz wrote:
> The dunk contest is a joke. Nate Robinson can barely dunk the ball, and
> don't believe he has a single dunk outside of garbage time.

Whether a player dunks in a game is totally irrelevant to the all-star
dunk contest. The all-star dunk contest is about creativity and
showmanship. Remember Amare? He's one of the best game-time dunkers,
but he's just not that creative. His dunks were boring.

If Yao Ming won the 3-pt contest, would you think that was a joke just
because he doesn't normally take 3 pointer during real games? Or if
Ichiro won the home run derby?

21 Feb 2006 14:28:59
Bucky

Swillabrew wrote:
> If they give one guy 14 tries to make one dunk, they should give all the
> other guys 14 tries to make better dunks than the ones they've already made.
> They are penalizing the guys who make their dunks cleanly

Good point. They should do it like the long jump: 3 attempts, take the
best score. You want to allow for a few attempts so that players are
willing to try riskier and more difficult dunks, but like everyone
agrees, not 14!

21 Feb 2006 14:56:16
Bucky

Zoe Chen wrote:
> Nobody's a gametime dunker.

I don't know how you can make that statement. If you define "dunk over"
as dunking while a defender is contesting the dunk, then Bynum's dunk
on Shaq doesn't count, because Bynum was already past Shaq and had a
clear path to the basket. But NBA players dunk over each other during
games all the time. Here's one by Iguodala, are you telling me you
don't consider this as "dunking over someone"?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8795372496337384449&q=iguodala

> Everyone dunks when the path is clear.

Not people like Gary Payton and Allen Iverson. On a clear breakaway,
they almost always lay it up or finger roll.

21 Feb 2006 16:42:32
Lee Watkins

Bucky wrote:
> Swillabrew wrote:
>
>>If they give one guy 14 tries to make one dunk, they should give all the
>>other guys 14 tries to make better dunks than the ones they've already made.
>>They are penalizing the guys who make their dunks cleanly
>

> Good point. They should do it like the long jump: 3 attempts, take the
> best score. You want to allow for a few attempts so that players are
> willing to try riskier and more difficult dunks, but like everyone
> agrees, not 14!

i believe thats how the original dunk contest rules were set up.

lee

21 Feb 2006 19:17:07
Nate Smith

Lee Watkins wrote:
> Bucky wrote:
>
>> Swillabrew wrote:
>>
>>> If they give one guy 14 tries to make one dunk, they should give all the
>>> other guys 14 tries to make better dunks than the ones they've
>>> already made.
>>> They are penalizing the guys who make their dunks cleanly
>>

>> Good point. They should do it like the long jump: 3 attempts, take the
>> best score. You want to allow for a few attempts so that players are
>> willing to try riskier and more difficult dunks, but like everyone
>> agrees, not 14!
>>

> i believe thats how the original dunk contest rules were set up.
>
> lee

dunks are just stupid penis tricks....

- nate

21 Feb 2006 21:45:25
Isaac

On 21 Feb 2006 14:20:16 -0800, Bucky <[email protected] > wrote:
> David Lentz wrote:
>> The dunk contest is a joke. Nate Robinson can barely dunk the ball, and
>> don't believe he has a single dunk outside of garbage time.
>
> Whether a player dunks in a game is totally irrelevant to the all-star
> dunk contest. The all-star dunk contest is about creativity and
> showmanship. Remember Amare? He's one of the best game-time dunkers,
> but he's just not that creative. His dunks were boring.

That's why the poster considers the dunk contest to be a joke. It's
a circus act. I tend to agree somewhat. I don't particularly like
dunks where the person takes 15 steps without dribbling even if the
result is a dunk from the free throw line. The 14 attempts thing
pretty much killed my enthusiasm for Robinson's performance, and I
was rooting for him to win.

> If Yao Ming won the 3-pt contest, would you think that was a joke just
> because he doesn't normally take 3 pointer during real games? Or if
> Ichiro won the home run derby?

If Ichiro won the home run derby, I think that would decrease the
credibility of the event for me. But apparently only real 3 point
shooters and home run hitters seem to win the events you mention.
Maybe the reason is that only real 3 point shooters and sluggers are
invited to participate.

Isaac

22 Feb 2006 08:55:17
Andrew Ryan Chang

Kurt Straub <[email protected] > wrote:

>Having now seen the two dunks, I think Andre's was more impressive,
>even leaving out the factor of the number of misses. This is entirely
>subjective, of course. Robinson's completed slam was quite nifty.
>Actually it was less the slam itself than jumping over another human
>being! As enjoyable as that was, however, I still can't believe what

I missed the dunk contest too, but I believe both Iguodala's
behind-the-backboard dunk and Robinson jumping over Webb were their 50 pt
attempts that forced the dunk-off, rather than the dunks in the dunk-off.
(I somehow doubt Webb would have let Robinson fail to clear him 14 times
and then go for a 15th try...)

--
Absolute clean, help teach the Moral ABC mason Hillel taught carpenter
Jesus to unite all mankind free! 6 billion strong & we're All-One!

22 Feb 2006 01:29:12
Bucky

Isaac wrote:
> That's why the poster considers the dunk contest to be a joke. It's
> a circus act.

OK, I don't disagree that the dunk contest is somewhat of a circus act,
but how is that different from the all-star game itself?

22 Feb 2006 11:30:46
Jimbo
Re: Iverson unhappy with dunk contest

"Joe Blow" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Chris Zabel wrote:
>> > UNHAPPY IVERSON
>> >
>> > Philadelphia 76ers All-Star Allen Iverson is upset.
>> >
>> > He thinks his 76ers teammate Andre Iguodala should have won Saturday's
>> dunk
>> > contest.
>> >
>> > The 6-foot-6 Iguodala lost to 5-9 Nate Robinson by one point in a
>> dunk-off.
>> > Robinson didn't complete his last dunk off until the 14th try.
>> >
>> > Iverson contends that the judges purposely forced the contest in to a
>> > tiebreaker to extend the fun for the fans.
>> >
>> > "It's still not sitting right with me," he said Sunday. "Just because
>> > he's
>> > young guy and that's something that he wanted for himself, for his
>> > family,
>> > for his people in Philadelphia and for it not to happen it was bad.
>> >
>> > And the way it happened, I think he deserved to win."
>> >
>> > Others were upset that Robinson was allowed so many chances to complete
>> his
>> > dunk.
>>
>> Robinson winning the slam dunk contest was a joke. Iguodala comes up
>> with 2
>> dunks that no one else on the planet can perform(outside of Vince Carter
>> anyway) and loses to a guy who misses 14 attempts before getting lucky.
>> Then the apparent changing of the scores to extend a contest for no
>> reason
>> just adds insult to injury. It's things like this why the NBA has an
>> image
>> problem among the average sports fan and why the league has yet to
>> recover
>> from Jordan retiring...
>

> Amen. Apparently, the NBA thinks we're all going to be uber-excited
> because they rigged it so that a midget would win the slam dunk
> contest. Woo hoo hoo. Yup, this sure has resuscitated my interest in
> watching the average NBA ballgame. Nate Robinson will be washed up
> before his NBA career reaches three seasons, because unlike Spud Webb
> he can't play the point. He's about as useful as Eddie Gaedel.
>
> http://www.paperpast.com/html/1951_baseball.html
>
> JB

Ahhhhhh..........Jealous of the midget who makes more this season than you
will ever see in your lifetime. What does McDonalds pay these days anyway?
Go drop me a basket a fries and fix that shake machine.