28 Apr 2004 10:35:28
s_knight8
Francis says Payton doesn't want to play, only talk

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/2535719

In his continuing attempt to tweak Jeff Van Gundy, Lakers head coach Phil
Jackson goes out of his way not to mention his name, even when discussing
game strategy.

"The Rockets' coach was so intent on taking advantage of the time when Shaq
(O'Neal) isn't on the floor that he even put Yao Ming back in the game when
he had three fouls on Sunday," Jackson said.

"That would be Jeff Van Gundy?" someone said.

LA's Gary Payton has predicted the Lakers would not be returning to Houston
before advancing to play the Spurs. Rockets guard Steve Francis had a
response for that Tuesday.

"People can say what they want to say," Francis said. "He can say that. But
he doesn't want to really play. He just talks. And talk is cheap. When you
get on the court, that's when you prove it. So, we'll have a chance to see
how that pans out tomorrow."

Jackson had more objections to what he considered Francis turning the ball
over on drives.

"It's almost impossible for them to call it anymore," Jackson said. "All we
ask is for discontinued dribble, that's all. When a player changes the
rhythm of the dribble, that makes it impossible for a defender to cover a
ballplayer. It's very common now. (Tony) Parker does it with San Antonio.
Francis does it. I think our players probably do it, too, even though we
don't notice it or probably call it. ... What I've said to the referees is,
`Call the thing, regardless of who it is. If it's our players or their
players, just call it.' "

28 Apr 2004 09:15:16
Flouridator
Re: Francis says Payton doesn't want to play, only talk

"s_knight8" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/2535719
>
> "People can say what they want to say," Francis said. "He can say that.
But
> he doesn't want to really play. He just talks. And talk is cheap. When you
> get on the court, that's when you prove it. So, we'll have a chance to see
> how that pans out tomorrow."

Geez, I hope something motivates Payton....

28 Apr 2004 16:33:06
VicG
Re: Francis says Payton doesn't want to play, only talk

"s_knight8" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/2535719
>> "It's almost impossible for them to call it anymore," Jackson said. "All
we
> ask is for discontinued dribble, that's all. When a player changes the
> rhythm of the dribble, that makes it impossible for a defender to cover a
> ballplayer. It's very common now. (Tony) Parker does it with San Antonio.
> Francis does it. I think our players probably do it, too, even though we
> don't notice it or probably call it. ... What I've said to the referees
is,
> `Call the thing, regardless of who it is. If it's our players or their
> players, just call it.' "

LOL, looks like Jackson is already preparing for the next series.

28 Apr 2004 19:06:26
Sports Fan
Re: Francis says Payton doesn't want to play, only talk

In article <[email protected] >
"s_knight8" <[email protected] > wrote:

>He can say that. But
>he doesn't want to really play. He just talks. And talk is cheap.

May be Steve should look at what his head coach is doing.