30 Apr 2004 10:53:52
s_knight8
Dick Vitale turned down the NBA

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~28541~2117314,00.html

With cable playoff ratings sinking below the 2.0 mark and national numbers
competing with golf and celebrity poker, sources say the NBA is about to
take the expected choice of action by using the Lakers-Spurs series as a
life preserver by giving it as much national TV exposure over the next few
weeks.

Even though the league initially said the Lakers-Spurs Game 1 would not
start until Monday night (on cable) at the earliest, it decided Thursday to
officially move that contest to Sunday afternoon for the ABC audience.

"Maybe they should just work it out so that the Lakers play every Sunday
until the rest of the summer," said one network executive who didn't want to
be identified.

Before the playoffs began, NBA commissioner David Stern said in half-jest on
ESPN that the best matchup for the finals would be "the Lakers against the
Lakers."

This, apparently, is Plan 1-B.

It makes some sense. Through 28 games on TNT and ESPN, the NBA has been
averaging a 1.8 rating, which is not much to squawk about. A year ago, the
cable playoff games drew a 1.9 rating.

The Sacramento-Dallas Game 1 that ABC carried on April 17 did a meager 3.0
national rating (6.2 in Los Angeles). Last Sunday's Lakers-Rockets Game 4 on
ABC jumped to 4.8 nationally (14.6 in L.A.), but that was still 31 percent
less than what Fox drew at the same time for its coverage of the NASCAR
Nextel Cup race in Talladega (6.3/15).

NBA, baby?: ESPN programming chief Mark Shapiro denied two weeks ago that
Stern had been pushing Dick Vitale to be part of the all-sports network's
NBA playoff coverage. However, Vitale and his agent, Sandy Montag, both
confirmed in USA Today this week that conversations did take place with
Shapiro and others at ESPN about joining the NBA playoff coverage, but
Vitale turned the job down.

Shapiro said Thursday he will continue to look for a way to get the one-time
Detroit Pistons coach best known for his college basketball shilling to be
involved in NBA coverage down the road.

30 Apr 2004 11:20:52
mc
Re: Dick Vitale turned down the NBA

"s_knight8" wrote...

> http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~28541~2117314,00.html

does anyone else here "taps" playing in the background?

30 Apr 2004 17:24:52
cLIeNUX user
Re: Dick Vitale turned down the NBA

[email protected]

>"s_knight8" wrote...
>>
>> http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~28541~2117314,00.html
>>

>does anyone else here "taps" playing in the background?

I'm hearing "Love In Vain" by Robert Johnson. Baby.

Rick Hohensee
Precision Mojo Engineer

30 Apr 2004 23:08:07
Fred
Re: Dick Vitale turned down the NBA

"cLIeNUX user" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> [email protected]
> >
> >"s_knight8" wrote...
> >>
> >> http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~28541~2117314,00.html
> >>

> >does anyone else here "taps" playing in the background?
> >

> I'm hearing "Love In Vain" by Robert Johnson. Baby.

.....and now I'm off to listen to my Robert Johnson cd

-Fred, who is stopping at the fridge for a beer.

01 May 2004 01:43:48
Granville Waiters' Ghost
Re: Dick Vitale turned down the NBA

In article <r%[email protected] >, "Fred"
<[email protected] > wrote:

> > I'm hearing "Love In Vain" by Robert Johnson. Baby.
>
> .....and now I'm off to listen to my Robert Johnson cd
>
> -Fred, who is stopping at the fridge for a beer.

Just watch what's in it.

01 May 2004 00:15:20

"mc" <[email protected] > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "s_knight8" wrote...
> >
> > http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~28541~2117314,00.html
> >

> does anyone else here "taps" playing in the background?

I am sure it will help to water down the league even more with new
teams on the horizon! I know I always love a 12-win team.
Fan-tastic.

01 May 2004 13:06:06
Bill Burk
Re: Dick Vitale turned down the NBA

>> However, Vitale and his agent, Sandy Montag, both
confirmed in USA Today this week that conversations did take place with
Shapiro and others at ESPN about joining the NBA playoff coverage, but
Vitale turned the job down. >>

Thank GOD for all small favors. A best case scenario would be for Vitale to
go over to NBA (which I never watch anyhow) and then to instantly get a case
of PERMANENT laryngitis !!!

007

Bill E. Burk

[Remove "NOSP" from my e-mail address]