28 Jan 2005 11:03:30
s_knight8
Darius Miles tells Cheeks "Make me"

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf?/base/spor
ts/1106917050236710.xml

In a team film session Thursday, coach Maurice Cheeks reportedly was making
a coaching point to Darius Miles. The player then directed a racial slur at
Cheeks and shouted something about not caring about losing "20" games in a
row because Cheeks is going to get fired anyway.

It went on and on. And Miles was asked to leave the practice facility by
Cheeks, to which he basically said, "Make me."

Try shouting those kinds of things at your boss today. Because the bet here
is that you would be unemployed by noon.

So today, Miles gets waived, right?

Nope.

Miles was just given a six-year, $48 million guaranteed contract by the
Blazers. So while waiving him is the emotional reaction, it's not a smart
business reaction.

So today, Miles is traded, right?

Nope.

The $48 million contract makes Miles nearly impossible to trade. Especially
because he's been injured and, also, because he's been the biggest
disappointment of the Blazers season. Right down to the way Cheeks has been
unable to guess what Miles will give him night to night.

(That's not to mention the way Miles publicly pouted when Shareef
Abdur-Rahim beat him out for the starting small forward position.)

So today, Miles is suspended for insubordination, right?

Well, that's debatable, and it's exactly what Miles dared Cheeks to do, full
well knowing that the coach is dangling from the NBA coaching cliff by his
sneaker shoelaces. On Thursday, GM John Nash said he'll support what Cheeks
wants to do.

28 Jan 2005 11:16:21
brink
Re: Darius Miles tells Cheeks "Make me"

"s_knight8" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf?/base/spor
> ts/1106917050236710.xml
>

> In a team film session Thursday, coach Maurice Cheeks reportedly was
> making
> a coaching point to Darius Miles. The player then directed a racial slur
> at
> Cheeks and shouted something about not caring about losing "20" games in a
> row because Cheeks is going to get fired anyway.
>
> It went on and on. And Miles was asked to leave the practice facility by
> Cheeks, to which he basically said, "Make me."
>
> Try shouting those kinds of things at your boss today. Because the bet
> here
> is that you would be unemployed by noon.
>
> So today, Miles gets waived, right?
>
> Nope.
>
> Miles was just given a six-year, $48 million guaranteed contract by the
> Blazers. So while waiving him is the emotional reaction, it's not a smart
> business reaction.
>
> So today, Miles is traded, right?
>
> Nope.
>
> The $48 million contract makes Miles nearly impossible to trade.
> Especially
> because he's been injured and, also, because he's been the biggest
> disappointment of the Blazers season. Right down to the way Cheeks has
> been
> unable to guess what Miles will give him night to night.
>
> (That's not to mention the way Miles publicly pouted when Shareef
> Abdur-Rahim beat him out for the starting small forward position.)
>
> So today, Miles is suspended for insubordination, right?
>
> Well, that's debatable, and it's exactly what Miles dared Cheeks to do,
> full
> well knowing that the coach is dangling from the NBA coaching cliff by his
> sneaker shoelaces. On Thursday, GM John Nash said he'll support what
> Cheeks
> wants to do.

this is too bad. i liked darius miles a lot all during his time with the
clippers, when he was drafted as an 18 year old out of high school and was
as raw as they come--all arms and legs, like a mini manute. absolutely no
jumper, but quick and a great leaper and dunker. his game really started to
develop over the next few seasons as did his friendship with quentin
richardson. i think he was even the one to start that head bump thing you
see people doing everywhere now. in all of this, he seemed like a nice kid.

he does come from a rough place in east st louis though, plus his
frustration at where he's ended up and his being on the short end of the
stick in the rotation these days appear to be bringing out the worst in him.
too bad, like i said he seemed like a nice kid and this is disappointing.

brink

28 Jan 2005 12:14:29
Terraholm

brink wrote:
> "s_knight8" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> Especially
>> because he's been injured and, also, because he's been the biggest
>> disappointment of the Blazers season.

Funny... canzano called him the bright spot when miles was starting,....

28 Jan 2005 20:51:03
Granville Waiters' Ghost
Re: Darius Miles tells Cheeks "Make me"

In article <[email protected] >,
"Terraholm" <[email protected] > wrote:

> brink wrote:
> > "s_knight8" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>

> >> Especially
> >> because he's been injured and, also, because he's been the biggest
> >> disappointment of the Blazers season.
>
> Funny... canzano called him the bright spot when miles was starting,....

During the Bulls' game, I noticed that his range didn't really
go beyond about 10 feet.

These quotes are great, they definitely surpass my last favorite
Darius Miles quote:

"I just think my IQ of the basketball game is so high -- I'm
still learning, don't get me wrong -- but there is a lot of
stuff where I feel I need to give my opinion."

28 Jan 2005 14:33:23
Terraholm

Granville Waiters' Ghost wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Terraholm" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> brink wrote:

>> Funny... canzano called him the bright spot when miles was
>> starting,....
>

> During the Bulls' game, I noticed that his range didn't really
> go beyond about 10 feet.

Last year he was better for range. Mid-range shot disappeared again.

--

Laurel T
It's what you learn after you know it all

28 Jan 2005 14:44:19
Terraholm
Re: Darius Miles tells Cheeks "Make me"

Granville Waiters' Ghost wrote:
> In article [email protected],

> These quotes are great, they definitely surpass my last favorite
> Darius Miles quote:
>
> "I just think my IQ of the basketball game is so high -- I'm
> still learning, don't get me wrong -- but there is a lot of
> stuff where I feel I need to give my opinion."

Damon had one appropriate here.... when benched said something to the effect
that players usually outlast coaches so no reason to argue with the
coaches...

--
Laurel T
"Quite honestly we have had players on our teams before

28 Jan 2005 18:23:43
Terraholm
Re: Darius Miles tells Cheeks "Make me"

http://www.oregonlive.com/weblogs/blazersblog/index.ssf?/mtlogs/olive_blazerblog/archives/2005_01.html#048387

In light of today's suspension by the team, Darius Miles wanted to make the
following statement to the fans.

"I would like to apologize to all of our Trail Blazers fans for not being a
part of the team these next two games and for not being able to help us win.
Things were said in frustration and I am sorry for that. It is very
important to me that our fans understand that I am committed to winning and
that the losses we have had this season have been difficult for all of us.
My entire focus when I return to the team will be on winning and helping us
make a run for the playoffs."

29 Jan 2005 02:46:30
Granville Waiters' Ghost

<[email protected] > wrote:

http://www.oregonlive.com/weblogs/blazersblog/index.ssf?/mtlogs/olive_blazerblog/archives/2005_01.html#048387

> In light of today's suspension by the team, Darius Miles wanted to make the
> following statement to the fans.
>
> "I would like to apologize to all of our Trail Blazers fans for not being a
> part of the team these next two games and for not being able to help us win.
> Things were said in frustration and I am sorry for that. It is very
> important to me that our fans understand that I am committed to winning and
> that the losses we have had this season have been difficult for all of us.
> My entire focus when I return to the team will be on winning and helping us
> make a run for the playoffs."

Geez, could their agents at least write these things to sound
like they just *possibly* could have been said by the player?

28 Jan 2005 19:00:57
Terraholm
Re: Darius Miles tells Cheeks "Make me"

Granville Waiters' Ghost wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, "Terraholm"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> http://www.oregonlive.com/weblogs/blazersblog/index.ssf?/mtlogs/olive_blazerblog/archives/2005_01.html#048387
>>
>> In light of today's suspension by the team, Darius Miles wanted to
>> make the following statement to the fans.
>>
>> "I would like to apologize to all of our Trail Blazers fans for not
>> being a part of the team these next two games and for not being able
>> to help us win. Things were said in frustration and I am sorry for
>> that. It is very important to me that our fans understand that I am
>> committed to winning and that the losses we have had this season
>> have been difficult for all of us. My entire focus when I return to
>> the team will be on winning and helping us make a run for the
>> playoffs."
>

> Geez, could their agents at least write these things to sound
> like they just *possibly* could have been said by the player?

Well I did note no appology to Mo was included....

Cheeks said he may have part of the blame for his 'tone' or some such bull.
But it was also noted that (unlike bonzi) Miles has no history of this.

--
Laurel T
The invention of basketball was not an

29 Jan 2005 05:28:34
Jeremey Wilson
Re: Darius Miles tells Cheeks "Make me"

"Terraholm" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Cheeks said he may have part of the blame for his 'tone' or some such bull.
> But it was also noted that (unlike bonzi) Miles has no history of this.

He had some sort of snit in Cleveland with John Lucas. I only remember that
Miles yelled "Trade me! Trade me!" at Lucas (had he screamed at Paxson, he
might've got his wish). I believe Lucas was fired shortly thereafter. Maybe
Darius Miles can smell death on his coaches.

--
Jeremey

29 Jan 2005 05:49:57
Granville Waiters' Ghost

<[email protected] > wrote:

> > Geez, could their agents at least write these things to sound
> > like they just *possibly* could have been said by the player?
>
> Well I did note no appology to Mo was included....
>
> Cheeks said he may have part of the blame for his 'tone' or some such bull.
> But it was also noted that (unlike bonzi) Miles has no history of this.

What has to happen in Portland to end this, in your opinion?

28 Jan 2005 22:07:09
Terraholm
Re: Darius Miles tells Cheeks "Make me"

Granville Waiters' Ghost wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, "Terraholm"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> Geez, could their agents at least write these things to sound
>>> like they just *possibly* could have been said by the player?
>>
>> Well I did note no appology to Mo was included....
>>
>> Cheeks said he may have part of the blame for his 'tone' or some
>> such bull. But it was also noted that (unlike bonzi) Miles has no
>> history of this.
>

> What has to happen in Portland to end this, in your opinion?

Frustration with losing when they have been playing hard and in most every
game. More surprising is it did not blow up sooner...Is this really that
unusual or just that it got made public?
DA has been out with toothaches and now headaches...called cheeks doghouse
blues is ny guess...

Miles was out injured. When he came back he played very well, won the spurs
game for them in the 4th, but then did not get the start back. Cheeks had
some pretty strange rotations against the mavs, they lost the game with
terrible execution the last few plays at both ends.... and this blew up the
next day when they were watching film.
So I can guess why.

--
Laurel T
When rats leave a sinking ship,

29 Jan 2005 07:27:28
cLIeNUX user
Re: Darius Miles tells Cheeks "Make me"

[email protected]
>http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf?/base/spor
>ts/1106917050236710.xml
>

>In a team film session Thursday, coach Maurice Cheeks reportedly was making
>a coaching point to Darius Miles. The player then directed a racial slur at
>Cheeks and shouted something about not caring about losing "20" games in a
>row because Cheeks is going to get fired anyway.
>
>It went on and on. And Miles was asked to leave the practice facility by
>Cheeks, to which he basically said, "Make me."
>
>Try shouting those kinds of things at your boss today. Because the bet here
>is that you would be unemployed by noon.
>
>So today, Miles gets waived, right?
>
>Nope.
>
>Miles was just given a six-year, $48 million guaranteed contract by the
>Blazers. So while waiving him is the emotional reaction, it's not a smart
>business reaction.
>
>So today, Miles is traded, right?
>
>Nope.
>
>The $48 million contract makes Miles nearly impossible to trade. Especially
>because he's been injured and, also, because he's been the biggest
>disappointment of the Blazers season. Right down to the way Cheeks has been
>unable to guess what Miles will give him night to night.
>
>(That's not to mention the way Miles publicly pouted when Shareef
>Abdur-Rahim beat him out for the starting small forward position.)
>
>So today, Miles is suspended for insubordination, right?
>
>Well, that's debatable, and it's exactly what Miles dared Cheeks to do, full
>well knowing that the coach is dangling from the NBA coaching cliff by his
>sneaker shoelaces. On Thursday, GM John Nash said he'll support what Cheeks
>wants to do.

I'd like to see Cheeks coach somewhere else. I can't believe a guy that
was one of the truly great PGs can't coach.

--

Rick (Richard Allen) Hohensee
write-in candidate, President of the United States of America

igor eduardo küpfer
Re: Darius Miles tells Cheeks "Make me"

In rec.sport.basketball.pro on Sat, 29 Jan 2005 05:28:34 GMT "Jeremey
Wilson" <[email protected] > wrote:

>"Terraholm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>
>> Cheeks said he may have part of the blame for his 'tone' or some such bull.
>> But it was also noted that (unlike bonzi) Miles has no history of this.
>
>He had some sort of snit in Cleveland with John Lucas. I only remember that

When I got to this part:
>Miles yelled

I was overcome with the urge to scream "Titty fuck! Titty fuck!" Curse you,
Wilson. I'll not get that out of my head for many a year.
--

all the best,
ed

Epitome:
Nice kid, but about as sharp as a sack of wet mice.
NBA Stats:
http://members.rogers.com/edkupfer/nba/nba_2005.htm
Email:
edkupfer. It's a gmail addy.

29 Jan 2005 06:22:52
Terraholm
Re: Darius Miles tells Cheeks "Make me"

Granville Waiters' Ghost wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, "Terraholm"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> Geez, could their agents at least write these things to sound
>>> like they just *possibly* could have been said by the player?
>>
>> Well I did note no appology to Mo was included....
>>
>> Cheeks said he may have part of the blame for his 'tone' or some
>> such bull. But it was also noted that (unlike bonzi) Miles has no
>> history of this.
>

> What has to happen in Portland to end this, in your opinion?

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/110700395620660.xml

Maurice Cheeks said Darius Miles hurled racial slurs at him "at least 20
times" and told the coach he didn't like him during their heated
confrontation before Thursday's practice, which resulted in the Trail
Blazers' suspending the 23-year-old forward for two games.

Cheeks said he was disappointed the suspension wasn't longer, but he said he
is ready to forgive and work toward mending their relationship when Miles
returns to the team before Wednesday's home game against Denver.

"Our relationship is very salvageable, because I'm that kind of person,"
Cheeks said. "I'm going to coach the guy; it's my job. Come on, how many
wins do we have, 16? If I can put a guy on the floor to win a game, I'm
going to put him on the floor. . . . I'm not going to push him to the side
because we had this problem."

Cheeks said he was not offended by the repeated racial slurs, saying, "From
him to me, it's OK." But he said he was deeply hurt when Miles said he
didn't like Cheeks.

"I told him, 'You have no reason not to like me. All I am doing is coaching
you,' " Cheeks said. "All I try to do is make him a better player and
person. So to slight me for those reasons is a problem for me. I mean, it
can get heavy when you talk about somebody disliking you.

"Do I dislike him? No. And I told him that. Now, I might dislike some of the
things he does on the floor. But I'm not going to apologize for me as a
person, or me as a basketball coach.

"Now I might not be as great as Phil Jackson or other coaches, but I am who
I am. And I'm going to get better as I move along, but I am not going to
change as a person."

The confrontation flared when the Cheeks continued a line of criticism
directed at Miles during the team's review of Wednesday's game with Dallas.
The argument escalated when neither party would back down, and accounts of
the argument include Miles telling Cheeks he was going to be fired, and when
Cheeks told Miles to leave, Miles said that Cheeks would have to call the
police to make him leave the building.

The situation continued when Cheeks dismissed the team and began leaving
toward general manager John Nash's office, when Miles chided him with the
comment, "That's right, run to your daddy." When Cheeks did go to Nash's
office, Miles burst in, and another argument ensued.

"Things got out of hand," Cheeks said. "It was just an unfortunate
situation. We expect a certain kind of conduct, and it was crossed over as
far as I'm concerned. Things were said that were inappropriate."

Cheeks admitted that he is partly to blame for the confrontation because at
the beginning of the film session his tone toward Miles was stronger than
normal, and from past conflicts with Miles, he knew the player didn't handle
criticism well.

"Different players you have to coach in different ways. There are times when
I have to be on and on him, and he doesn't take it well," Cheeks said. "I
don't ever want it to seem like one guy is totally in the wrong. Certainly
for me, he went over the line. But maybe I had a little part in it because
something in my voice was maybe antagonistic, which made him go that way. So
it's not all about Darius; maybe I had something to do with it."

----------

"We support Cheeks 100 percent and the same with Darius," center Joel
Przybilla said. "It was just an instance of two guys having different views.
I have seen worse. I was in Milwaukee with Anthony Mason, and this was
nothing. We just need to move on. Shoot, we are already past it. As soon as
Darius is back, we will be waiting for him."

29 Jan 2005 10:06:45
Gadabout Gaddis

[email protected] (Granville Waiters' Ghost) wrote:

> What has to happen in Portland to end this, in your opinion?

Tsunami?
--
/-----------------------/
The One True Robb

29 Jan 2005 21:55:33
Jeremey Wilson
Re: Darius Miles tells Cheeks "Make me"

"igor eduardo küpfer" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In rec.sport.basketball.pro on Sat, 29 Jan 2005 05:28:34 GMT "Jeremey
> Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> When I got to this part:
> >Miles yelled
>
> I was overcome with the urge to scream "Titty fuck! Titty fuck!"

Did you? You weren't at a funeral, were you? I'm very sorry.

> Curse you,
> Wilson. I'll not get that out of my head for many a year.

I'm going to decide against a herpes joke here, but if someone else would like
to go ahead and make one, they would have my support.

--
Jeremey

29 Jan 2005 23:06:09
romulus

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 07:27:28 -0000, [email protected] (cLIeNUX user) wrote:

>[email protected]
>>http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf?/base/spor
>>ts/1106917050236710.xml
>>

>>In a team film session Thursday, coach Maurice Cheeks reportedly was making
>>a coaching point to Darius Miles. The player then directed a racial slur at
>>Cheeks and shouted something about not caring about losing "20" games in a
>>row because Cheeks is going to get fired anyway.
>>
>>It went on and on. And Miles was asked to leave the practice facility by
>>Cheeks, to which he basically said, "Make me."
>>
>>Try shouting those kinds of things at your boss today. Because the bet here
>>is that you would be unemployed by noon.
>>
>>So today, Miles gets waived, right?
>>
>>Nope.
>>
>>Miles was just given a six-year, $48 million guaranteed contract by the
>>Blazers. So while waiving him is the emotional reaction, it's not a smart
>>business reaction.
>>
>>So today, Miles is traded, right?
>>
>>Nope.
>>
>>The $48 million contract makes Miles nearly impossible to trade. Especially
>>because he's been injured and, also, because he's been the biggest
>>disappointment of the Blazers season. Right down to the way Cheeks has been
>>unable to guess what Miles will give him night to night.
>>
>>(That's not to mention the way Miles publicly pouted when Shareef
>>Abdur-Rahim beat him out for the starting small forward position.)
>>
>>So today, Miles is suspended for insubordination, right?
>>
>>Well, that's debatable, and it's exactly what Miles dared Cheeks to do, full
>>well knowing that the coach is dangling from the NBA coaching cliff by his
>>sneaker shoelaces. On Thursday, GM John Nash said he'll support what Cheeks
>>wants to do.
>>

>I'd like to see Cheeks coach somewhere else. I can't believe a guy that
>was one of the truly great PGs can't coach.
Man Miles needs to get the fuck out of Portland and hang out in the
NBDL where he can catch up on some important development skills that
he must have missed when he skipped college to go to the NBA. He
probably is not the smartest guy around but it amazes meto see how
Portland manages to get the same ole duds year in and year out that
do nothing to improve the team. The owner has got deep pockets so I
would guess that the GM there has got some weak ass skills.
romu

01 Feb 2005 21:16:43
PDX

<[email protected] > wrote:

> > Well I did note no appology to Mo was included....
> >
> > Cheeks said he may have part of the blame for his 'tone' or some
such bull.
> > But it was also noted that (unlike bonzi) Miles has no history of
this.

> What has to happen in Portland to end this, in your opinion?
Trade Miles to the Bucks for Michael Redd.