15 Sep 2003 18:22:00
CoolHandDuke
"Summer work, winter payoff" (TSN)

Summer work, winter payoff
09/15/2003
Mike DeCourcy, Sporting News
http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/mike_decourcy/20030915.html

Given the rain that kept my lawn growing faster than the scope of the Missouri
investigation, it was a good summer to be indoors.

In gyms all across the nation -- the world, even -- Division I players were
working to improve for the coming season. Some went with USA Basketball squads
to compete in the Junior World Championships (in Greece) or the Pan American
Games (in the Dominican Republic). Some stayed on campus to use their program's
facilities. Some went home and worked privately. (Of course, some loafed.)

This is what a few of the key players needed to improve upon in order to
elevate their teams and their own futures:

Stanford small forward Josh Childress: jump shot. With his quickness,
aggressiveness, long build and dynamic athleticism, Childress is a terrific
player. He averaged 14.1 points and 8.1 rebounds as a sophomore. What stands
between Childress and greatness -- and a long career as an NBA shooting guard
-- is the ability to consistently make long-range jumpers. He made only 48 of
144 3-point attempts (33.3 percent) last season. The trouble with Childress'
shot is a flying elbow. His right arm tends to flare to the side during his
motion. This makes him inconsistent because the angle of the elbow is rarely
the same.

Stanford coach Mike Montgomery has encouraged Childress, who played in the Pan
Am Games over the summer, to keep his elbow beneath the ball as he releases.

Florida power forward David Lee: facing the basket. Having played mostly inside
in his first two seasons to allow sweet-shooting teammate Matt Bonner room to
roam, Lee hasn't developed much comfort as a face-up shooter.
When he was stationed in the high post or at the top of the key, his
extraordinary passing allowed him to pick apart defenses. But opponents did not
respect his shooting and were able to sag back to cut off passing angles.

That's why Lee spent time this summer with NBA-level shooting coaches. He
worked hard enough that Florida plans to use him frequently in pick-and-roll
plays, allowing him to peel off to the wing and be available to fire 16-foot
jumpers.

It's possible his career could develop in the same manner as Drew Gooden's did
at Kansas: OK as a freshman, significant progress as a sophomore, stardom as a
junior. Gooden, though, had a functional arrogance about his game that allowed
him to shoot from the perimeter before he was really good at it. Lee has tried
to be selfless, but now the Gators need him to be threatening as a shooter to
open up the rest of his game.

Duke point guard Chris Duhon: running a team. As a junior, Duhon was tricked
into believing he had to be a star when what he needed to be was an
All-American point guard. And no, it's not the same.

Duhon shot too much and from too far. He lost his focus on important matters,
such as guarding the ball. Instead of trying to lead a young team, he tried to
carry it. That's not what he does best. He's a quarterback.

Coach Mike Krzyzewski admits Duhon did not have the kind of season he was
capable of producing. But Krzyzewski contends Duhon was "outstanding" in the
NCAA Tournament. He shot 14-of-25 from the field and 5-of-9 on 3s and held
Kansas star Kirk Hinrich to 1-of-9 shooting. Krzyzewski believes Duhon, who
spent much of his summer working out on campus, is capable of regularly
reaching that level as a senior.

This will be Duhon's last season with the Blue Devils, but there's still time
for him to grow as a player.

Senior writer Mike DeCourcy covers college basketball for Sporting News. Email
him at [email protected]

+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+
"This president is a miserable failure in foreign policy and the
economy, and he's got to be replaced!" ~~ Rep. Dick Gephardt
+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+

16 Sep 2003 15:05:30
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=
Re: "Summer work, winter payoff" (TSN)

[email protected] (Willyave) wrote in
<news:[email protected] >:

>>He shot 14-of-25 from the field and 5-of-9 on 3s and held
>>Kansas star Kirk Hinrich to 1-of-9 shooting. Krzyzewski believes
>>Duhon, who spent much of his summer working out on campus, is
>>capable of regularly reaching that level as a senior.
>
> JJ's fault.

Did he not go where Duhon told him?

"KEEP BIG BROTHER'S HANDS OFF THE INTERNET"
By Senator John Ashcroft
<http://usinfo.state.gov/journals/itgic/1097/ijge/gj-7.htmcolor=#0000FF> >

16 Sep 2003 12:09:37
Edward M. Kennedy

"Q" <[email protected] > wrote in message:

> >>He shot 14-of-25 from the field and 5-of-9 on 3s and held
> >>Kansas star Kirk Hinrich to 1-of-9 shooting. Krzyzewski believes
> >>Duhon, who spent much of his summer working out on campus, is
> >>capable of regularly reaching that level as a senior.
> >
> > JJ's fault.
>
> Did he not go where Duhon told him?

Nope. He crapped all over the court.

In other news, Hinrich could probably take Jay Williams now.

--Tedward