16 Jul 2005 18:29:29
CHD tbdm
"Paulus, Barboza named national prep athletes of year" (AP)

Paulus, Barboza named national prep athletes of year
By BETH HARRIS, AP Sports Writer, The Associated Press
July 14, 2005
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=14857014&BRD=2212&PAG=461&dept_id=465816&rfi=6

Greg Paulus, the nation's top high school football player, and
volleyball phenom Cynthia Barboza were named Gatorade national high
school players of the year Wednesday.

Paulus received his trophy from former Gatorade players of the year
Kevin Garnett of the Minnesota Timberwolves and Dwight Howard of the
Orlando Magic at an under-21 nightclub in Hollywood.

"I felt small," said Paulus, a senior quarterback from Christian
Brothers Academy in Syracuse, N.Y. "It's so much fun to be here. You
just dream of being like that, making it to that status."

Paulus led his school to its first state football championship, and was
named MVP of the title game last season.

"I grew up trying to be Peyton Manning. I tried to play a little bit
like him, with the way he reads defenses and the way he takes control
of the game," he said. "I even wear my Peyton Manning jersey under my
football jersey."

Manning even gave Paulus some tips over dinner the night before.

But Paulus' future will be playing basketball at Duke.

"That's where my heart is," he said. "That's where I want to be and
what I want to do. Duke has got the full package and I'm excited about
getting started."

Paulus averaged 26.8 points, 8.2 assists, 5.1 rebounds and 3.4 steals
last season.

"The common thing that everybody talks about is working hard and the
dedication you must have," he said. "They're at a level where I'm not
at yet. I'm trying to get to that level."

Barboza, a senior from Woodrow Wilson Classical High in Long Beach, was
an alternate on the U.S. volleyball team for the Athens Olympics. She
is a two-time Gatorade national volleyball player of the year.

She received her award from Los Angeles Sparks center Lisa Leslie and
retired soccer star Mia Hamm.

"I was trying hard not to shake," said Barboza, an outside hitter who
had 476 kills, 41 blocks and 52 service aces in 82 games last season.

"I'm just at a loss for words," she said. "It's just such an amazing
tradition for me to try to uphold and just seeing where all the
athletes who have won it have gone. I'm really pretty excited to see
where it takes me."

Barboza plans to attend Stanford, with an eventual goal of playing in
the 2008 Olympics and on the pro beach volleyball circuit for "the free
tan," she said, laughing.

The other boys' nominees were: soccer player Lee Nguyen of Richardson,
Texas; basketball player Greg Oden of Indianapolis; baseball player
Justin Upton of Chesapeake, Va.; and shot putter-discus thrower Ryan
Whiting of Harrisburg, Pa.

The other girls' nominees were: soccer player Amy Rodriguez of Lake
Forest, Calif.; basketball player Abby Waner of Highlands Ranch, Colo.;
softball player Dani Hofer of Safety Harbor, Fla.; and jumper Brittany
Daniels of Tracy, Calif.

Now in their third year, the awards are based on athletic performance,
impact on team success and accomplishment so far. A national sports
media panel votes on the winners.

NBA star LeBron James and Olympic sprinter Allyson Felix won the
inaugural awards. The NBA's Howard and WNBA's Candace Parker were
honored last year.

17 Jul 2005 18:16:42
John A Witzke
Re: "Paulus, Barboza named national prep athletes of year" (AP)

how long before paulus gets in his traffic accident?

18 Jul 2005 01:03:30
Erik T. Nomad
Re: "Paulus, Barboza named national prep athletes of year" (AP)

"John A Witzke" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> how long before paulus gets in his traffic accident?

You first.

Edward M. Kennedy
Re: "Paulus, Barboza named national prep athletes of year" (AP)

"John A Witzke" <[email protected] > wrote

> how long before paulus gets in his traffic accident?

When does football season start?

--Tedward