05 Feb 2008 07:34:51
Dr. Dick
Vanity, Thy Name Is JIM PALMER: Guy Who Can't Ignore Any Mirror Wins

I and a number of acquaintences last year remarked on Palmer's eyes,
how weird and abnormal they appeared in TV shots. Like he'd seen Kenny
Rogers' surgeon!

Now we know why. And Mr. Handsomer-Than-You has won damages for his
eye damage.

Advice to Jim: Next time thoughts of facial or eye surgery enter your
ever-self-centered mind, bannish the
thought(s) !

You're a sexagenarian now. Act your age and be happy -- and, okay,
proud -- that you look ... just fine.

For 60.

-------------------
"Palmer Awarded Damages After Failed Eye Surgery"
Sports, Courts
The Washington Post
Tuesday, February 5, 2008; E02

A Palm Beach (Fla.) County jury sided with Hall of Fame pitcher Jim
Palmer yesterday, finding an ophthalmologist liable for damage to
Palmer's vision and awarding him $890,000.

Tom Coffman called the jury's verdict "unfortunate" and left it up to
his attorneys whether to appeal.

Palmer, while pleased with the verdict, was by no means jubilant.

"I wish it had never come to this," Palmer said. "I don't wish a
detached retina on anybody."

Palmer, 62, who pitched for the Baltimore Orioles and won three Cy
Young Awards in four years, is an analyst on Orioles television
broadcasts. He was elected to baseball's Hall of Fame in 1990.

His attorney, Gary Cohen, said Palmer was talked into a getting a
multifocal intraocular lens in his eye that isn't made for people who
work at night. That lens was later taken off the market, Cohen said.

After the cataract surgery, there were signs of retinal tears that
should have prompted further examination but were instead ignored and
led to a detached retina, Cohen said. Palmer still suffers from vision
problems that have affected his ability to work, as many games are
held at night.

"I'm no different than anyone else," Palmer said. "I don't care if
you're in the Hall of Fame."

Undergoing a reattachment surgery was "pretty scary," Palmer said, not
knowing whether he would be able to see when the surgery was over.

The jury awarded $327,000 in lost earnings and $563,000 in past and
future pain and suffering.

Coffman said after the verdict that jurors "believed the lawyers" and
that he has always provided the highest quality care.

-- From News Services

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/04/AR2008020402640.html

05 Feb 2008 16:37:46
Re: Vanity, Thy Name Is JIM PALMER: Guy Who Can't Ignore Any Mirror

On Feb 5, 9:34=A0am, "Dr. Dick" <[email protected] > wrote:
> I and a number of acquaintences last year remarked on Palmer's eyes,
> how weird and abnormal they appeared in TV shots. Like he'd seen Kenny
> Rogers' surgeon!
>
> Now we know why. =A0And Mr. Handsomer-Than-You has won damages for his
> eye damage.
>
> Advice to Jim: =A0Next time thoughts of facial or eye surgery enter your
> ever-self-centered mind, bannish the
> thought(s) !
>
> You're a sexagenarian now. =A0Act your age and be happy -- and, okay,
> proud -- that you look ... just fine.
>
> For 60.
>
> -------------------
> "Palmer Awarded Damages After Failed Eye Surgery"
> Sports, Courts
> The Washington Post
> Tuesday, February 5, 2008; E02
>
> A Palm Beach (Fla.) County jury sided with Hall of Fame pitcher Jim
> Palmer yesterday, finding an ophthalmologist liable for damage to
> Palmer's vision and awarding him $890,000.
>
> Tom Coffman called the jury's verdict "unfortunate" and left it up to
> his attorneys whether to appeal.
>
> Palmer, while pleased with the verdict, was by no means jubilant.
>
> "I wish it had never come to this," Palmer said. "I don't wish a
> detached retina on anybody."
>
> Palmer, 62, who pitched for the Baltimore Orioles and won three Cy
> Young Awards in four years, is an analyst on Orioles television
> broadcasts. He was elected to baseball's Hall of Fame in 1990.
>
> His attorney, Gary Cohen, said Palmer was talked into a getting a
> multifocal intraocular lens in his eye that isn't made for people who
> work at night. That lens was later taken off the market, Cohen said.
>
> After the cataract surgery, there were signs of retinal tears that
> should have prompted further examination but were instead ignored and
> led to a detached retina, Cohen said. Palmer still suffers from vision
> problems that have affected his ability to work, as many games are
> held at night.
>
> "I'm no different than anyone else," Palmer said. "I don't care if
> you're in the Hall of Fame."
>
> Undergoing a reattachment surgery was "pretty scary," Palmer said, not
> knowing whether he would be able to see when the surgery was over.
>
> The jury awarded $327,000 in lost earnings and $563,000 in past and
> future pain and suffering.
>
> Coffman said after the verdict that jurors "believed the lawyers" and
> that he has always provided the highest quality care.
>
> -- From News Services
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/04/AR200...

So a multifocal intraocular lens was a cosmetic decision?

05 Feb 2008 17:14:29
spammer

On Feb 5, 7:37=A0pm, [email protected] wrote:

> So a multifocal intraocular lens was a cosmetic decision?

Although multifocal lenses don't work well, it wasn't the lens per
se. The retina damage was from Dr. "Shaky".