27 Oct 2005 14:41:46
[email protected]
The Rose Award For 10-26-05. World Series Edition.

The Rose Award goes to Jermaine Dye of the Chicago White Sox, who went
three-for-four with one RBI in a 1-0 win over the Houston Astros.

The Chicago White Sox are the 2005 World Series champions, and might
hang a plaque in their clubhouse, honoring the Angels' Josh Paul and a
certain umpire, for making it all possible.

27 Oct 2005 21:53:27
t-bone
Re: The Rose Award For 10-26-05. World Series Edition.

Right and the Angels were on a warpath to eventually win - how many games
was that, one? That's 11-1 for the post-season. Nothing need more be said.

<[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> The Rose Award goes to Jermaine Dye of the Chicago White Sox, who went
> three-for-four with one RBI in a 1-0 win over the Houston Astros.
>
> The Chicago White Sox are the 2005 World Series champions, and might
> hang a plaque in their clubhouse, honoring the Angels' Josh Paul and a
> certain umpire, for making it all possible.

27 Oct 2005 22:41:05
David Emerling
Re: The Rose Award For 10-26-05. World Series Edition.

<[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> The Rose Award goes to Jermaine Dye of the Chicago White Sox, who went
> three-for-four with one RBI in a 1-0 win over the Houston Astros.
>
> The Chicago White Sox are the 2005 World Series champions, and might
> hang a plaque in their clubhouse, honoring the Angels' Josh Paul and a
> certain umpire, for making it all possible.

Baseball is odd sport. Jermain Dye hits a soft tapper up on the middle that
simply has "eyes" and ekes out into centerfield, scoring the game winning
run. Not a hard hit - certainly unimpressive in every regard - had it been
hit this or that way a little more it would have been just another grounder.

Sometimes life just isn't fair. More than any other game, baseball is TRULY
a game of inches.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN

27 Oct 2005 17:55:14
poka yoke
Re: The Rose Award For 10-26-05. World Series Edition.

<[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> The Rose Award goes to Jermaine Dye of the Chicago White Sox, who went
> three-for-four with one RBI in a 1-0 win over the Houston Astros.
>
> The Chicago White Sox are the 2005 World Series champions, and might
> hang a plaque in their clubhouse, honoring the Angels' Josh Paul and a
> certain umpire, for making it all possible.

ah, still the digs from the left coast. should we also hang one for the
pitcher who hung the 0-2 pitch right over the middle of the plate? for
without that, well, the Paul thing would not have mattered at all.

Championships are won with talent, grit, few injuries, and taking advantage
of good luck and not losing because of bad luck. The stros got a homer call
that wasn't a homer and the sox still won the game in 14 innings. that is
why they are champs and angels have a two week head start on their golf
game.

27 Oct 2005 15:56:27
Wunnuy

[email protected] wrote:
> The Rose Award goes to Jermaine Dye of the Chicago White Sox, who went
> three-for-four with one RBI in a 1-0 win over the Houston Astros.
>
> The Chicago White Sox are the 2005 World Series champions, and might
> hang a plaque in their clubhouse, honoring the Angels' Josh Paul and a
> certain umpire, for making it all possible.

I'm so sick of this. The umpire didn't cost the Angels the series. The
Angels cost the Angels the series. His call didn't lead to the run.
What happened after led to the run and the win. If the Angels had
gotten the next out, or won some games after that game, they would have
advanced. As it was, they choked and that's why they're home, not
because of any umpire call.

An umpire calls a fair home run that would end a game foul, that's the
umpire costing you a game. An umpire messing up a call that prolongs an
inning doesn't cost anyone a game.