22 Nov 2004 19:10:09
id
Which binding is bomb proof

Over the years I've had inconvenient breakages on 2 sets of Burton
bindings (one buckle, one highback) and 1 Drake (highback). How do you
rate the Salomon SPXs? I was looking at the SPX7 - anyone break them?
Any other suggestions, e.g. Ride? I like strong, comfortable, simple,
some flex
Thanks, Iain

22 Nov 2004 12:56:26
lonerider
Re: Which binding is bomb proof

id wrote:
> Over the years I've had inconvenient breakages on 2 sets of Burton
> bindings (one buckle, one highback) and 1 Drake (highback). How do
you
> rate the Salomon SPXs? I was looking at the SPX7 - anyone break them?

> Any other suggestions, e.g. Ride? I like strong, comfortable, simple,

> some flex
> Thanks, Iain

I've ridden the Salomon SP4 and SP6s and the heelcup is extremely thick
and burly - almost excessively so (be careful of dragging them in the
snow on heelside turns if you have a narrow board like a Donek
Incline). The highbacks are pretty tough too. My friend snapped the
heelcup on his Burton Customs (yes Custom... he doesn't like to spend
money) and upgraded to a pair of Salomon SPX and he likes them despite
them being less flexy than his Customs (he likes his bindings loose and
flexy for tweaks and jibs). I'm 5'8" 150 and he's 5'10 170ish (I think,
I'm a terrible jub) so we are not that heavy just so you know...
although we've both had some pretty intense crashes in the park (he
broke his binding on bad switch landing).

Of course... if you really want durable... the aluminum heelcups of
like the Technine and Catek Freeride bindings are the way to go (you
ankle will likely break before they do - although I'm not sure if
that's a comforting thought).

--Arvin

23 Nov 2004 08:44:11
Switters
Re: Which binding is bomb proof

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 20:56:26 GMT, "lonerider" <[email protected] >
allegedly wrote:

> I've ridden the Salomon SP4 and SP6s and the heelcup is extremely thick
> and burly - almost excessively so (be careful of dragging them in the
> snow on heelside turns if you have a narrow board like a Donek
> Incline). The highbacks are pretty tough too.

I had the SP5s and one the highbacks tore above and around the hinge
point. There wasn't much left before I gave up on them.

There's a photo here: http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/bindings2.html

I suppose that any binding can have it's tale of woe. What sucked was
Salomon's lack of customer service.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/- Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/

23 Nov 2004 14:48:50
Andy Sandford
Re: Which binding is bomb proof

Catek Freeride Pro

Loads of adjustment (and fiddling), but once they're set-up they're just
like any other binding - 2 ratchets and you're off.

ZERO flex though!

Just got mine and love them.

Andy

"id" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Over the years I've had inconvenient breakages on 2 sets of Burton
> bindings (one buckle, one highback) and 1 Drake (highback). How do you
> rate the Salomon SPXs? I was looking at the SPX7 - anyone break them?
> Any other suggestions, e.g. Ride? I like strong, comfortable, simple,
> some flex
> Thanks, Iain

23 Nov 2004 15:48:05
Mike T
Re: Which binding is bomb proof

> Over the years I've had inconvenient breakages on 2 sets of Burton
> bindings (one buckle, one highback) and 1 Drake (highback). How do you
> rate the Salomon SPXs? I was looking at the SPX7 - anyone break them? Any
> other suggestions, e.g. Ride? I like strong, comfortable, simple, some
> flex

I have the SP6 from 01/02, it was at the time their top of the line model.
I bought them on sale at the end of the season, and since that time have
spent more time on hard boots than soft, so I have maybe 20 days on them.
They still look and feel brand new. Pluses - definitley simple, definitley
strong. The Toe straps don't come all the way apart, this is something that
could get in the way if you're big-footed. Minuses - heel cup is bulky,
if you like narrow boards it will cause boot-out problems. You can't rotate
the highback. Not enough forward lean. There is some flex but not a huge
amount.

24 Nov 2004 08:49:43
id

Mike T wrote:

> I have the SP6 from 01/02, it was at the time their top of the line model.
> I bought them on sale at the end of the season, and since that time have
> spent more time on hard boots than soft, so I have maybe 20 days on them.
> They still look and feel brand new. Pluses - definitley simple, definitley
> strong. The Toe straps don't come all the way apart, this is something that
> could get in the way if you're big-footed. Minuses - heel cup is bulky,
> if you like narrow boards it will cause boot-out problems. You can't rotate
> the highback. Not enough forward lean. There is some flex but not a huge
> amount.

I like the toe straps on the Salomon - I borrowed a back binding when my
P1MD broke. Looks ideal for strapping in on the lift on those days when
you don't want the guys on the chair behind getting your virgin pow.
I'll watch out for the heel cup bulk and forward lean - at the moment
I'm set to max on the P1MD. With regard to metal bindings, I had Simms
Posilink a few years back. They had no flex and were pretty
uncomfortable. I'm not keen on rigid binding when everything else around
flexes (i.e. your board and your body).
And finally a note to Dave: you need to be considerably more careful
with your bindings. It's a disgrace what you've done to you SPs. No more
cliff drops or terrain parks for you :-)

Iain

24 Nov 2004 08:50:59
Brian
Re: Which binding is bomb proof

I love Ride bindings. They're as close to bomb proof as you're going to
find IMO. I have the SPi bindings, which are great but also check out the
Team and Flight models.

Brian.

"id" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Over the years I've had inconvenient breakages on 2 sets of Burton
> bindings (one buckle, one highback) and 1 Drake (highback). How do you
> rate the Salomon SPXs? I was looking at the SPX7 - anyone break them?
> Any other suggestions, e.g. Ride? I like strong, comfortable, simple,
> some flex
> Thanks, Iain

24 Nov 2004 11:18:14
Jason Watkins
Re: Which binding is bomb proof

I have couple season old SPX's. I've been very happy with them, and
they've withstood plenty of abuse. I did have the screw on one
heelstrap come undone one day, had to zip tie it for the rest of the
afternoon. So I went to the hardware store and replaced the built in
screws with some hex head ones that I locktighted. Which I'd reccomend
doing no matter what binding you're riding. Losing a strap at the
wrong moment is a good way to **** up your knee.

24 Nov 2004 11:20:46
phil
Re: Which binding is bomb proof

Catek. Preferably the Olymic stuff (even less of that nasty, nasty
compromising flex).

24 Nov 2004 21:11:09
id

phil wrote:

> Catek. Preferably the Olymic stuff (even less of that nasty, nasty
> compromising flex).

Phil, you are a very sad and perverted person ;-)

Iain

26 Nov 2004 17:08:04
Champ

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:10:09 +0000, id <[email protected] > wrote:

>Over the years I've had inconvenient breakages on 2 sets of Burton
>bindings (one buckle, one highback) and 1 Drake (highback).

I've never broken a binding. You want to look after your stuff a bit
more :-)
--
Champ
GSX-R 1000, GPz 750 turbo, ZX7RR Endurance Racer x 2

26 Nov 2004 17:55:10
id

Champ wrote:

> I've never broken a binding. You want to look after your stuff a bit
> more :-)

Welcome back GYASB#0 BotToS#2 BOTAFO(T|F)#35 WG*#1 DFV#8

Iain ;-)