26 Oct 2005 20:10:01
Snowboarding with blown ACL and brace... Possible?

Hi!

I have a blown ACL in my left knee (I'm regular) and I was told I
couldn't get surgery until next spring. Right now I can skateboard with
a DonJoy Defiance brace and it's fine although I sprained my knee twice
while bailing out of tricks. Other than that I never have any problem
while skateboarding as long as I don't do 180s or do tricks that
involve knee torsion (I'm usually fine but I don't really like feeling
my knee twisting a little!).

So I was wondering if I could be able to ride my snowboard (no jumping,
just going down smoothly) with a blown ACL and an brace. I do train in
a gym so I could buff my legs to compensate.

Anyone has any input about this?

Thanks!

Luc

27 Oct 2005 05:43:06
Switters
Re: Snowboarding with blown ACL and brace... Possible?

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 03:10:01 GMT, [email protected] allegedly wrote:

> So I was wondering if I could be able to ride my snowboard (no jumping,
> just going down smoothly) with a blown ACL and an brace. I do train in
> a gym so I could buff my legs to compensate.
>
> Anyone has any input about this?

Sounds like a question for a medical professional rather than a bunch of
anonymous posters. :)

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/- Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/

27 Oct 2005 09:56:18
Neil Gendzwill

Switters wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 03:10:01 GMT, [email protected] allegedly wrote:
>

>>So I was wondering if I could be able to ride my snowboard (no jumping,
>>just going down smoothly) with a blown ACL and an brace. I do train in
>>a gym so I could buff my legs to compensate.
>>
>>Anyone has any input about this?
>

> Sounds like a question for a medical professional rather than a bunch of
> anonymous posters. :)

Yeah, but really you need to talk to a sports med guy. Regular doc is
just gonna say "don't do that".

Neil

27 Oct 2005 14:28:21
lonerider

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi!
> I have a blown ACL in my left knee (I'm regular) and I was told I
> couldn't get surgery until next spring. Right now I can skateboard with
> a DonJoy Defiance brace and it's fine although I sprained my knee twice
> while bailing out of tricks. Other than that I never have any problem
> while skateboarding as long as I don't do 180s or do tricks that
> involve knee torsion (I'm usually fine but I don't really like feeling
> my knee twisting a little!).
>
> So I was wondering if I could be able to ride my snowboard (no jumping,
> just going down smoothly) with a blown ACL and an brace. I do train in
> a gym so I could buff my legs to compensate.
>
> Anyone has any input about this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Luc

No, you can't do it. I partially tore my ACL a while back and wore a
DonJoy brace as well, but a full tear is a completely different story.
There is no recovery, no rehab... with your front foot strapped in, you
simply will not be able to turn and twist with the board without an ACL
and will likely fall and damage your knee. While the chances are
reduced when both feet are strapped in.

While I tend to ignore minor aches and sprains (broken wrists,
separated shoulders, compressed veterbrae) a full ACL tear is a big
thing - treat it as such. Stick to running, cycling, swimming and
weights. I would strongly suggest you stop skateboardng as well -
you've already sprained your knee twice, shouldn't that be telling you
something?

30 Oct 2005 03:19:27
Re: Snowboarding with blown ACL and brace... Possible?

Unless you want to walk with a limp when you are an old man, I'd stop
abusing your knee. I use to abuse my body too when I was young and played
through injuries but I'm definitley paying the price now as my knee can't
hold up too anything but low impact activies. Respect your body and let it
heal completely before you push it.

<[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hi!
>
> I have a blown ACL in my left knee (I'm regular) and I was told I
> couldn't get surgery until next spring. Right now I can skateboard with
> a DonJoy Defiance brace and it's fine although I sprained my knee twice
> while bailing out of tricks. Other than that I never have any problem
> while skateboarding as long as I don't do 180s or do tricks that
> involve knee torsion (I'm usually fine but I don't really like feeling
> my knee twisting a little!).
>
> So I was wondering if I could be able to ride my snowboard (no jumping,
> just going down smoothly) with a blown ACL and an brace. I do train in
> a gym so I could buff my legs to compensate.
>
> Anyone has any input about this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Luc

30 Oct 2005 13:58:41
Octessence
Re: Snowboarding with blown ACL and brace... Possible?

In 1996 I blew my ACL doing a fs180 down 5 wide steps. You had to go
quite fast because there was a water draining thingy at the bottom you
also had to clear. My back foot landed on the board, my front foot
(regular) landed on the ground - snap. I spent 2 years with it fucked
because the UK NHS is so shit and sent me home without even any
crutches. That was basically the end of my skateboarding days. I did try
for a while but it kept giving way so I stopped.

I then moved to Switzerland in 1998 for a year and got an operation
within a week of arriving. They had one of the best knee surgeons in
Switzerland in Geneva so I was lucky. After 8 months I was able to start
snowboarding (taking it easy because I still hadn't regained confidence
it my knee again). It took another year or so before it was back to full
stength and I could trust it again.

I remember once my back binding broke and I took a fall with only my
front foot (the bad one) straped in. I've never been so scared in my
whole life. The thought of going through another 2 years fixing it again
was all I could think of as I was trying to stop myself.

While I agree that you should be careful, from my experience, I'd say
that if you have good muscles in place around the knee you should be OK
snowboarding. As long as you take it _easy_. The strain is not as much
as skateboarding because you've got the other leg straped in too, and
there are much less sudden jolts. There is always a risk but, well, you
know.

I know lots of other people who snowboard carrying similar injuries. For
most it's OK but some are just in pain so they don't go much. Most of
then avoid jumps altogether though.

Octes