30 Jan 2005 23:44:35
Charles Coffin
Pain on Top of Front Foot in Straps Binding

I am repeatedly having problems with a pain that almost becomes
unbearable on the top of my front foot in a 2-straps binding. The
pain almost becomes unbearable at times, requiring me to loosen the
boot and bindings, but then I feel that I have to much movement. I am
using the "Sanchez" boot, with metal wire laces that automatically tie
by turning a click dial. I wear a single pair of socks designed for
Snowboarding. Any suggestions or is this just a pain that you have to
learn to put up with when riding?

[email protected]

31 Jan 2005 08:43:55
cupra
Re: Pain on Top of Front Foot in Straps Binding

Charles Coffin wrote:
> I am repeatedly having problems with a pain that almost becomes
> unbearable on the top of my front foot in a 2-straps binding. The
> pain almost becomes unbearable at times, requiring me to loosen the
> boot and bindings, but then I feel that I have to much movement. I am
> using the "Sanchez" boot, with metal wire laces that automatically tie
> by turning a click dial. I wear a single pair of socks designed for
> Snowboarding. Any suggestions or is this just a pain that you have to
> learn to put up with when riding?
>
> [email protected]

If it's anything like the pain I used to have, it was caused by the boot and
straps flattening the foot - mine was solved when I got a customer inner
made.

31 Jan 2005 05:37:38
Re: Pain on Top of Front Foot in Straps Binding

Some people get it, some don't. I did, & it made riding impossible.
The answer is one word.

Flow, as in Flow Bindings. There will undoubtedly be someone who tells
you they suck (equipment arguments are part of the sport), but they are
a miracle. No pressure points, and if you take the time to set them up
properly, there is no sensation of a strap whatsoever. It/they feel
like the board is glued to the bottom of you boot.

31 Jan 2005 14:10:00
Mike M. Miskulin
Re: Pain on Top of Front Foot in Straps Binding

[email protected] wrote in news:1107178658.051554.75300
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Flow, as in Flow Bindings. There will undoubtedly be someone who
> tells you they suck (equipment arguments are part of the sport),
> but they are a miracle. No pressure points, and if you take the
> time to set them up properly, there is no sensation of a strap
> whatsoever. It/they feel like the board is glued to the bottom of
> you boot.

I found while the flows relieved most of the pain, they were, IMHO,
only good in powder or nicely groomed runs. Once things got bumpier
I felt better control with regular strap bindings which I use now.

In many cases this pain is from what is called plantar fasciitis. As
someone else said, changing your boot or liner may be the better
solution. You can also try adjust where your straps are crossing
your foot. Factory settings may not be best!

I find that with my current boot/bindings I can make it pretty
much until the end of season before the pain really starts kicking
in, and its almost exclusively on the front foot. Limping around
a little bit in May and June is a small price to pay for Dec-April
boarding :)

31 Jan 2005 06:43:43
todd
Re: Pain on Top of Front Foot in Straps Binding

Good advice from Mike.

I'd also add that I usually loosen my front strap a few clicks while
I'm on the lift. This increases blood flow which helps everything, and
I re-tighten when I strap in up top.

On the foot beds, even if you don't get custom foot beds, just replace
the ones that came in your boot with "superfeet" or something like it.
They work great.

As predicted, I'm the one telling you that Flow bindings are not the
answer to your problems. Although I would admit every
foot/boot/binding combination is different, I had more foot pain with
Flows than any other binding. For me it was that they do not allow
easy on-slope adjustments as your boots and feet warm up after a couple
runs. The only easy adjustment is to tighten the highback which for me
only painfully increased heel pressure.

Good luck,
-todd

31 Jan 2005 09:47:48
Waco Paco

Charles Coffin wrote:

> I am repeatedly having problems with a pain that almost becomes
> unbearable on the top of my front foot in a 2-straps binding. The
> pain almost becomes unbearable at times, requiring me to loosen the
> boot and bindings, but then I feel that I have to much movement. I am
> using the "Sanchez" boot, with metal wire laces that automatically tie
> by turning a click dial. I wear a single pair of socks designed for
> Snowboarding. Any suggestions or is this just a pain that you have to
> learn to put up with when riding?
>
> [email protected]

You can try shifting the front strap to another position. Instead of
having it come across the front, try a different angle. I used to have
it come across until I found that if you angle and have it come across
the top of your toes it'll feel a bit better. Also I've switched
bindings from normal toe strap to a "baltimore toe strap" (like the one
found on technine's MFM binding or one of burton's that sport the 'chin'
strap). It's like a chin strap from a hockey helmet. You put the strap
on your toe box and the 'chin' piece holds it in place. It pulls the
boot into the binding as well as down. Then the pressure points really
stopped.

stu

31 Jan 2005 09:41:18
lonerider
Re: Pain on Top of Front Foot in Straps Binding

The problem is that you are tightening you forefoot laces (laces in
front of your ankle) and your straps too much... this crushes your
instep and arch and causes a lot of pain. You are overtightening to
compensate because you boots are too big don't fit well (hence all the
heellift movement). Two things that might help

Ankle wrap padding - a little foam that is places on your liner just
around your achilles tendon area will help keep your foot down.

http://www.tognar.com/boot_heater_warmer_fitting_dryer_canting_dryers_ski_snowboard.html

Lacing - do not lace the forefoot laces tightly! lace them comfortable
until you get to the upper lace hooks that are above your ankle, then
tighten those a lot. If you have hooks and not eyelets you can do a
neat trick. Tighten all the way up... and then with your extra lace...
wrap the laces back around the lowest hooks and lace up the ankle area
twice.

Email me if doesn't make sense
--Arvin

Charles Coffin wrote:
> I am repeatedly having problems with a pain that almost becomes
> unbearable on the top of my front foot in a 2-straps binding. The
> pain almost becomes unbearable at times, requiring me to loosen the
> boot and bindings, but then I feel that I have to much movement. I
am
> using the "Sanchez" boot, with metal wire laces that automatically
tie
> by turning a click dial. I wear a single pair of socks designed for
> Snowboarding. Any suggestions or is this just a pain that you have
> learn to put up with when riding?
>
> [email protected]

31 Jan 2005 12:55:37
Waco Paco

lonerider wrote:

> The problem is that you are tightening you forefoot laces (laces in
> front of your ankle) and your straps too much... this crushes your
> instep and arch and causes a lot of pain. You are overtightening to
> compensate because you boots are too big don't fit well (hence all the
> heellift movement). Two things that might help
>
> Ankle wrap padding - a little foam that is places on your liner just
> around your achilles tendon area will help keep your foot down.
>
> http://www.tognar.com/boot_heater_warmer_fitting_dryer_canting_dryers_ski_snowboard.html
>
> Lacing - do not lace the forefoot laces tightly! lace them comfortable
> until you get to the upper lace hooks that are above your ankle, then
> tighten those a lot. If you have hooks and not eyelets you can do a
> neat trick. Tighten all the way up... and then with your extra lace...
> wrap the laces back around the lowest hooks and lace up the ankle area
> twice.
>
> Email me if doesn't make sense
> --Arvin

He doesn't have conventional laces. He's got the boa's (hence his metal
wire laces and click dial). One thing I didn't like about those boots is
that you can't customize which part to be tight and which to be loose on
your foot.

> Charles Coffin wrote:
>
>>I am repeatedly having problems with a pain that almost becomes
>>unbearable on the top of my front foot in a 2-straps binding. The
>>pain almost becomes unbearable at times, requiring me to loosen the
>>boot and bindings, but then I feel that I have to much movement. I
>
> am
>
>>using the "Sanchez" boot, with metal wire laces that automatically
>
> tie
>
>>by turning a click dial. I wear a single pair of socks designed for
>>Snowboarding. Any suggestions or is this just a pain that you have

>>learn to put up with when riding?
>>
>>[email protected]

Maybe time to ditch those boas and get old school laces on a boot that fits.

stu

31 Jan 2005 10:05:10
Re: Pain on Top of Front Foot in Straps Binding

Good point. I don't like not being able to adjust the lacing; it's
very important.

Whatever you do, don't continue to ride in pain. That's what I did for
years, & it has really messed up my feet (I'm an old fart). I now have
permanent foot damage that cannot be "repaired" through surgery, & I
get to live w/it. Don't do what I did.

The single huge problem w/ Flow bindings is that almost no one sets
them up properly, & the mfg. rep's don't push the need for getting
them adjusted right either. They require fine tuning & adjustment to
get them set right, and it takes a long time to get it right. My
initial adjustment took me about an hour; it would take a tenth that
long if the rep's knew what to do, but they don't; they're salespeople.
Once you get it, that's it.

Actually, this goes for just about every binding. I've yet to see
anyone take the time to set their bindings up for their riding style.
Everyone just pulls them out of the box & goes. Big mistake.

31 Jan 2005 10:07:03
[...]

31 Jan 2005 10:12:44
David

"Charles Coffin" <[email protected] > wrote in message news:[email protected]
> I am repeatedly having problems with a pain that almost becomes
> unbearable on the top of my front foot in a 2-straps binding.

Is the pain caused by the tightness of the front strap? Sometimes I put mine
around the front end of my boot, so it pulls back as much as down.
It usually stays put.

Someone suggested Flow bindings. I'm sure they're great. I wanted a pair.
But they didn't fit my boots. Anyway, make sure Flows work with your
boots before you buy.

31 Jan 2005 12:18:33
Jason Medeiros
Re: Pain on Top of Front Foot in Straps Binding

"Charles Coffin" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I am repeatedly having problems with a pain that almost becomes
> unbearable on the top of my front foot in a 2-straps binding. The
> pain almost becomes unbearable at times, requiring me to loosen the
> boot and bindings, but then I feel that I have to much movement. I am
> using the "Sanchez" boot, with metal wire laces that automatically tie
> by turning a click dial. I wear a single pair of socks designed for
> Snowboarding. Any suggestions or is this just a pain that you have to
> learn to put up with when riding?
>
> [email protected]

are they super thin snowboard socks? if so, try a thicker mid weight sock.
i tried one of the really lightweight ones last week in my snowboard AND ski
boots and had movement and then pain when i cranked em down.

--

jmed

31 Jan 2005 13:16:24
Bob
Re: Pain on Top of Front Foot in Straps Binding

"Charles Coffin" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I am repeatedly having problems with a pain that almost becomes
> unbearable on the top of my front foot in a 2-straps binding. The
> pain almost becomes unbearable at times, requiring me to loosen the
> boot and bindings, but then I feel that I have to much movement. I am
> using the "Sanchez" boot, with metal wire laces that automatically tie
> by turning a click dial. I wear a single pair of socks designed for
> Snowboarding. Any suggestions or is this just a pain that you have to
> learn to put up with when riding?

I started using my custom shoe orthotics in my boots. They lift the back
part of my foot up quite a bit. I find that this gets the top of my foot to
snug up against the boot better, thus eliminating heel lift without
overtightening things. Some kind of foot bed or wedge might have the same
effect for you.

Bob

31 Jan 2005 22:50:34
lonerider
Re: Pain on Top of Front Foot in Straps Binding

> He doesn't have conventional laces. He's got the boa's (hence his
metal
> wire laces and click dial). One thing I didn't like about those boots
is
> that you can't customize which part to be tight and which to be loose
on
> your foot.

Ah... I read that... and yet didn't process it :) The padding behind
the ankle is still a valid suggestion then.

01 Feb 2005 12:47:09
Jeremiah Kristal
Re: Pain on Top of Front Foot in Straps Binding

On 30 Jan 2005 23:44:35 -0800, [email protected] (Charles Coffin)
wrote:

>I am repeatedly having problems with a pain that almost becomes
>unbearable on the top of my front foot in a 2-straps binding. The
>pain almost becomes unbearable at times, requiring me to loosen the
>boot and bindings, but then I feel that I have to much movement. I am
>using the "Sanchez" boot, with metal wire laces that automatically tie
>by turning a click dial. I wear a single pair of socks designed for
>Snowboarding. Any suggestions or is this just a pain that you have to
>learn to put up with when riding?

I've seen folks riding with their lower strap going across the front
of the toe, and they invariably seem to be decent to very good riders,
so that may be something to at least try. If it's only one foot, you
might want to change your stance somewhat, and get a strap pad of some
sort.

Jeremiah

01 Feb 2005 09:07:48
tg
Re: Pain on Top of Front Foot in Straps Binding

<[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> The single huge problem w/ Flow bindings is that almost no one sets
> them up properly, & the mfg. rep's don't push the need for getting
> them adjusted right either. They require fine tuning & adjustment to
> get them set right, and it takes a long time to get it right. My
> initial adjustment took me about an hour; it would take a tenth that
> long if the rep's knew what to do, but they don't; they're salespeople.
> Once you get it, that's it.
>
> Actually, this goes for just about every binding. I've yet to see
> anyone take the time to set their bindings up for their riding style.
> Everyone just pulls them out of the box & goes. Big mistake.

Kurt,

Great post. The Flow Binding directions don't give much assistance either.
How did you go about setting up your Flows? I am still tweaking mine,but any
hints would be greatly appreciated.

01 Feb 2005 09:19:29
Robert Stevahn
Re: Pain on Top of Front Foot in Straps Binding

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:07:48 -0500, "tg"
<[email protected] > wrote:

>Great post. The Flow Binding directions don't give much assistance either.
>How did you go about setting up your Flows? I am still tweaking mine,but any
>hints would be greatly appreciated.

You know, I used to fuss with mine and write down how many clicks I
was using on each buckle. The tendency is always to make them too
tight, resulting in numbness or pain.

Now, I just set them loosely on each buckle (first click), press down
evenly without pressing particularly hard, and that's it. They work
fine. I could probably tweak them a little for best performance, but
they are good enough for daily riding after about 2 minutes of total
setup time. In my experience, you just need to get a feel for the
right amount of pressure.

-- Robert

01 Feb 2005 13:32:32
tg
Re: Pain on Top of Front Foot in Straps Binding

"Robert Stevahn" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:07:48 -0500, "tg"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Great post. The Flow Binding directions don't give much assistance either.
>>How did you go about setting up your Flows? I am still tweaking mine,but
>>any
>>hints would be greatly appreciated.
>
> You know, I used to fuss with mine and write down how many clicks I
> was using on each buckle. The tendency is always to make them too
> tight, resulting in numbness or pain.
>
> Now, I just set them loosely on each buckle (first click), press down
> evenly without pressing particularly hard, and that's it. They work
> fine. I could probably tweak them a little for best performance, but
> they are good enough for daily riding after about 2 minutes of total
> setup time. In my experience, you just need to get a feel for the
> right amount of pressure.
>
> -- Robert

Robert,

What about highback angle adjustment? Do you put your foot in, adjust the
buckles, then push the highback up and lock. Also, since the Flows don't
show highback angle, which "line" do you adjust by rotating the adjustment
wheel and which slot is the cable in?

I use the middle slot, push my boot in, push down until the buckles stop
clicking and then make sure the high back goes up without hitting my boot.
Then I adjust the highback angle.

Thanks

01 Feb 2005 12:03:01
Robert Stevahn
Re: Pain on Top of Front Foot in Straps Binding

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:32:32 -0500, "tg"
<[email protected] > wrote:

>What about highback angle adjustment? Do you put your foot in, adjust the
>buckles, then push the highback up and lock.

I put my foot in, flip the highback up about midway, then move my foot
back so that it's just touching the base of the highback. I then press
down on the "strap" until it feels right (very subjective, obviously,
and more art than science), lock the buckles, then lock the highback.

>Also, since the Flows don't
>show highback angle, which "line" do you adjust by rotating the adjustment
>wheel and which slot is the cable in?

Without having them in front of me I can't visualize well enough. I
haven't touched the highback adjustment in a while and it doesn't seem
to move much from session to session.

I have the FL-11s, a couple of years old. They may not be exactly the
same as newer or higher end models.

-- Robert

01 Feb 2005 13:38:58
Re: Pain on Top of Front Foot in Straps Binding

What Robert S. said above is about right.

I used to count the "clicks", but that got old. Now, I set it up @ the
beginning of the season, count the clicks, & know where to put my foot
to get pretty close. After that, I go around to each buckle & fine
tune; it's more of a feel than a scientific measurement.

I've got the older F-11's also; they have a "primary" adjustment in the
cable, and then a micro-adjustment on the highback. I've found that
the salespeople don't even know about the cable adjustment; if the
cable isn't set up right, you're lost. The new models have a new
system; I've gotta check them out to see just what is up w/it.

Either way, they require preliminary setup & adjustment, which is
pretty much ignored by everyone I've met that owns them. If you take
the time to get them right, they are the best attachment system on the
market.

01 Feb 2005 14:04:46
todd

[email protected] wrote:
> What Robert S. said above is about right.

> Either way, they require preliminary setup & adjustment, which is
> pretty much ignored by everyone I've met that owns them. If you take
> the time to get them right, they are the best attachment system on
the
> market.

I'll pipe in again and say this works for some, but not all. I gave
these bindings the definite "college try." Tried several different
adjustments. Even took them back to the shop (which sells a lot of
Flows) and had them adjust the bindings with me standing in them. Also
read everything I could find in this forum about adjustments. So, this
is just a correction that for some, even if you know about all the
adjustments...they still suck.

Even knowing that Flows can be person specific, I quickly dismissed the
idea of purchasing a pair for my girlfriend who would not want to
adjust or tweek anything. I don't mind f*cking with things a bit, but
most people want to get something set up once, when first installed,
and the just forgot about it. This is true for most traditional straps
and every other step-in system. Yeah, you may have to adjust the
highback position for your foot size, but then it works, everytime.
Flow supporters always say how great they are "once you take the time
to get them right"...well, you shouldn't have to!

I know, i'm jaded and biased, but these bindings also robbed me of many
powder runs last season while I f*cked around with them to get rid of
severe foot pain. Sorry to those of you that love 'em. I used to deal
with the same thing when I'd rave about my old Clicker HBs and everyone
else would bitch about them. :)

Before you purchase a pair, see if you can rent/demo them for the day.
Flow is at most demo days and shops that sell Flows often have them on
their rental boards.

01 Feb 2005 15:28:36
Robert Stevahn
Re: Pain on Top of Front Foot in Straps Binding

Just to be clear, the only time I adjust my Flows is when I remove the
"strap" either to make the bindings smaller for transport or when I
wax. They never require adjustment during the day, and when I do need
to start from scratch it takes all of about 2 minutes.

That being said, I certainly agree they are not for everyone and, in
particular, not for every boot.

Now those Clicker bindings really suck in my experience. :-)

-- Robert

01 Feb 2005 17:38:34
Re: Pain on Top of Front Foot in Straps Binding

Agreed; not for everyone, & they definitely need the boot to fit.
Clickers. Suck. Definitely agreed on that.

02 Feb 2005 10:16:47
Baka Dasai

On 30 Jan 2005 23:44:35 -0800, Charles Coffin said (and I quote):
> I am repeatedly having problems with a pain that almost becomes
> unbearable on the top of my front foot in a 2-straps binding. The
> pain almost becomes unbearable at times, requiring me to loosen the
> boot and bindings, but then I feel that I have to much movement. I am
> using the "Sanchez" boot, with metal wire laces that automatically tie
> by turning a click dial. I wear a single pair of socks designed for
> Snowboarding. Any suggestions or is this just a pain that you have to
> learn to put up with when riding?

You could try a boot/binding combination that does not cause pain like
that.

Like these boots:

http://www.bomberonline.com/store/boots/deeluxe.cfm

Seriously. Other people have switched to hard boots for the exact same
reason.
--
What was I thinking?

02 Feb 2005 19:13:12
lonerider

Baka Dasai wrote:
> You could try a boot/binding combination that does not cause pain
like
> that.
>
> Like these boots:
>
> http://www.bomberonline.com/store/boots/deeluxe.cfm
>
> Seriously. Other people have switched to hard boots for the exact
same
> reason.

I don't see how you can say that - if you look on the Bomber forums...
a good number of the postings are people asking about how to get their
boots to fit right and how their feet kill in their hardboots - the
main replies are almost exactly the same as the ones posted here:

- get custom footbed ($150)
- get moldable liners ($150)
- get custom bootfitting from a knowledgeable bootfitter ($50-$100).

Actually... it seems like most hardbooters fit terribly out of the box
because of the hard shell, where as many softboots, while not great,
are rideable as is. For one thing... ordering online is just really not
the greatest of ideas for boots and you almost have to do that for
hardboots.

So back to the original point, I'm sure some people have noticed that
hardboots happen to fit them better after switching, but I don't see
hardboots as a general solution to bootfit issues - it's just silly in
that you are changing some many other factors as well (would be like
switching from a sedan to a motorcycle because you don't like the way
the driver seat feels).

03 Feb 2005 05:15:19
Jeremiah Kristal
Re: Pain on Top of Front Foot in Straps Binding

On 2 Feb 2005 19:13:12 -0800, "lonerider" <[email protected] >
wrote:

>Baka Dasai wrote:
>> You could try a boot/binding combination that does not cause pain
>like
>> that.
>>
>> Like these boots:
>>
>> http://www.bomberonline.com/store/boots/deeluxe.cfm
>>
>> Seriously. Other people have switched to hard boots for the exact
>same
>> reason.
>
>I don't see how you can say that - if you look on the Bomber forums...
>a good number of the postings are people asking about how to get their
>boots to fit right and how their feet kill in their hardboots - the
>main replies are almost exactly the same as the ones posted here:
>
>- get custom footbed ($150)
>- get moldable liners ($150)
>- get custom bootfitting from a knowledgeable bootfitter ($50-$100).

And those are all good suggestions, especially getting a knowledgeable
bootfitter.

>Actually... it seems like most hardbooters fit terribly out of the box
>because of the hard shell, where as many softboots, while not great,
>are rideable as is. For one thing... ordering online is just really not
>the greatest of ideas for boots and you almost have to do that for
>hardboots.

I would say that it has a LOT more to do with the pressures put on the
foot while carving than the fit of the boots. I am miserable when I'm
in my softboots now if I'm doing anything other than just doing park
runs. I took 'em out 2 weeks ago for the 20" of fresh we got in
Vermont and now have one black toenail on each foot. I can't do much
soft-boot carving just because my feet get too beat up.

I'm sure that if I put as enough effort into getting soft boots fitted
correctly I could get a good fit. I would still have to deal with the
pressure of the straps (or continue to use step-ins). Of course based
on past experience if I were to drop real money for new soft boots, I
would want the same level of service I've received with my hard boot
fitting at the Starting Gate. Maybe there are standard snowboard
shops that do good fittings, but I wouldn't even know where to begin
looking.

Ordering online is not the best way to do it, but if you understand
how mondo point measurements work, you really can get pretty close.
It helps to know how a specific boot fits, i.e. Solomon's are
generally best for narrow feet, but again, I'm not sure a novice would
find this info. If you're going to go to a bootfitter anyway, I would
pretty much prefer to take my chances online than go with most of the
retailers I've dealt with. (My wife got some new ski boots at a large
and generally well respected shop in NYC last season, went to get
footbeds and the bootfitter refused to do it because they were a size
and a half too large, after the original shop spent 2 hours 'fitting'
the boot.)

One thing that may be an advantage for hard boots is that you can have
the shell stretched and molded. I haven't seen much that can be done
to soft boots rather than adding custom footbeds, but I'm sure that
some work can be done.

>So back to the original point, I'm sure some people have noticed that
>hardboots happen to fit them better after switching, but I don't see
>hardboots as a general solution to bootfit issues - it's just silly in
>that you are changing some many other factors as well (would be like
>switching from a sedan to a motorcycle because you don't like the way
>the driver seat feels).

I agree with your main point, though for technical riders are don't do
park/pipe stuff, hard boots are a viable alternative. The problem
with hard boots is that it leads to buying lots of expensive
snowboards. (If you think a Burton T5 is expensive price a Madd or a
Virus.)

Jeremiah

03 Feb 2005 09:42:04
Baka Dasai

On 2 Feb 2005 19:13:12 -0800, lonerider said (and I quote):
> Baka Dasai wrote:
>> You could try a boot/binding combination that does not cause pain
>> like that.
>>
>> Like these boots:
>>
>> http://www.bomberonline.com/store/boots/deeluxe.cfm
>>
>> Seriously. Other people have switched to hard boots for the exact
>> same reason.
>
> I don't see how you can say that - if you look on the Bomber forums...
> a good number of the postings are people asking about how to get their
> boots to fit right and how their feet kill in their hardboots

And there are also a bunch of posts saying that part or all of the
reason they switched to hard boots was because of foot pain problems in
soft boots.

I'm an example. I always had foot pain in soft boots. Flow bindings
helped, but didn't completely fix the problem. Any binding that was
tight enough for performance would start to make my front foot cramp
after a while, even with custom orthotics in my boots.

It's the same with hard boots, but with hard boots I undo
the buckles for every lift ride, which completely fixes the problem. In
soft boots I could never undo the straps of my front binding on the lift
for fear of the board falling off.

> So back to the original point, I'm sure some people have noticed that
> hardboots happen to fit them better after switching, but I don't see
> hardboots as a general solution to bootfit issues - it's just silly in
> that you are changing some many other factors as well (would be like
> switching from a sedan to a motorcycle because you don't like the way
> the driver seat feels).

What you say is all true, but if the original poster was in the position
where nothing else was going to work, then hard boots would become a
viable option. Similarly, if he was hard-boot-curious, it could have
been the right piece of advice at the right time. If neither of these
was true, he could have safely ignored my post as just another
hard-booting crank trying to hijack an unrelated thread :)
--
What was I thinking?

03 Feb 2005 09:18:22
lonerider

Jeremiah Kristal wrote:

> I'm sure that if I put as enough effort into getting soft boots
fitted
> correctly I could get a good fit. I would still have to deal with
the
> pressure of the straps (or continue to use step-ins). Of course
based
> on past experience if I were to drop real money for new soft boots, I
> would want the same level of service I've received with my hard boot
> fitting at the Starting Gate. Maybe there are standard snowboard
> shops that do good fittings, but I wouldn't even know where to begin
> looking.
>
> >So back to the original point, I'm sure some people have noticed
that
> >hardboots happen to fit them better after switching, but I don't see
> >hardboots as a general solution to bootfit issues - it's just silly
in
> >that you are changing some many other factors as well (would be like
> >switching from a sedan to a motorcycle because you don't like the
way
> >the driver seat feels).
>
> I agree with your main point, though for technical riders are don't
do
> park/pipe stuff, hard boots are a viable alternative. The problem
> with hard boots is that it leads to buying lots of expensive
> snowboards. (If you think a Burton T5 is expensive price a Madd or a
> Virus.)
>
> Jeremiah

Yea... that's the rub... so you go to a person and tell them that you
have this bootfit solution for them... but they have to get rid of all
their current equipment, pay $500+ for new equipment, plus spend 3-4
months tweaking this new equipment and relearning how to
snowboarding... but then... then they'll be set :P

Baka Dasai wrote:
> What you say is all true, but if the original poster was in the
position
> where nothing else was going to work, then hard boots would become a
> viable option. Similarly, if he was hard-boot-curious, it could have
> been the right piece of advice at the right time. If neither of
these
> was true, he could have safely ignored my post as just another
> hard-booting crank trying to hijack an unrelated thread :)

Lol... yes, if the original poster has exhausted all possible options,
and if he was "hard-boot-curious" then this could be what he needs to
discover his true "bootwear preferences." That being said, his problems
(and actually I would say your problems) could probably be solved
provided you put in enough time, effort, and money into it... obviously
no one know until you've tried everything... :)

04 Feb 2005 10:14:21
David Brown :o)
Re: Pain on Top of Front Foot in Straps Binding

>I am repeatedly having problems with a pain that almost becomes
> unbearable on the top of my front foot in a 2-straps binding.

Just to throw a different option for you to try. It may not be the bindings
at all but the angle of your foot. Try angling the front foot a couple of
degrees further forward.
I only say this coz I also had a pain in the top of my front foot last
holiday and this was the reason. I had taken the bindings off for transport
and put them back on 1 degree less than normal and just one degree made a
lot of difference to comfort.
Worth giving a go anyway.

--
kitemap