11 Sep 2005 16:13:05
GeckoDisciple
Never skied before but need equipment advice

Hi,

I live in a skiing mecca but haven't skied yet. Which is better
snowboarding, alpine skiing, or Randonee/Telemark? I'm definately a
beginner, but anyone who knows me knows that I learn quickly in
everything that I do especially in sports. I want to grow into a good
ski or board. My desires will be for all-mountain and eventually
racing. I'm looking at the Salomon Pocket Rockets to grow into. Are
these so advanced that I can not use them in the beginning? Also, I
haven't done research on boards. What would be the best snowboard for
racing or all-mountain? and not freestyling. I need your advice on
these ski equipment purchases and which is more fun. I know alpine
skiing is much faster than snowboarding, right? Thanks.

11 Sep 2005 21:39:49
lonerider
Re: Never skied before but need equipment advice

I think you are asking a very silly question... there is NO BETTER.
Each sport has its own charms. Once you actually learn a few more
things and sports, you'll realize that as well. You will really have to
*try* all of the things and decide for yourself, seriously... anyone
who tells you differently is sadly mistaken.

I'm more knowledgeable on snowboards, but I happen to know a lot of
people who love the Salomon Pocket Rockets, they are a light, small and
have a quick turning radius, so I think they are fine for a beginner
and ideal for an all-mountain skiier who doens't spend that much time
on the groomed trails or racing (if you haven't figured it out...
all-mountain and racing don't mix... you can't make a Jeep drive like a
Porsche and vice-versa).

For snowboard, Salomon also has some very good boards. Go for a
mid-range board like the Prospect, Forecast, etc. If you want something
a little out of the ordinary, I suggest the Donek Phoenix
(www.donek.com) or perhaps a Rad-Air Tanker 162 (www.rad-air.com) Both
are amazing boards that can do it all (except race, and duh... you need
a raceboard for that... go to www.bomberonline.com to learn more about
raceboards.

--Arvin

GeckoDisciple wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I live in a skiing mecca but haven't skied yet. Which is better
> snowboarding, alpine skiing, or Randonee/Telemark? I'm definately a
> beginner, but anyone who knows me knows that I learn quickly in
> everything that I do especially in sports. I want to grow into a good
> ski or board. My desires will be for all-mountain and eventually
> racing. I'm looking at the Salomon Pocket Rockets to grow into. Are
> these so advanced that I can not use them in the beginning? Also, I
> haven't done research on boards. What would be the best snowboard for
> racing or all-mountain? and not freestyling. I need your advice on
> these ski equipment purchases and which is more fun. I know alpine
> skiing is much faster than snowboarding, right? Thanks.

12 Sep 2005 09:52:16
Neil Gendzwill

GeckoDisciple wrote:

> I'm looking at the Salomon Pocket Rockets to grow into.

Too much ski for any beginner, I don't care how talented you are. Try
renting first to get an idea.

> What would be the best snowboard for
> racing or all-mountain? and not freestyling.

That's a little like asking "what's the best car for racing"? Try
reading the forums at www.bomberonline.com to get a sense of what you
might want.

Neil

12 Sep 2005 15:32:10
og
Re: Never skied before but need equipment advice

If I was starting out again I'd learn Telemark. It's the most
difficult but also most versatile of all discilplines. It's also the
fatest growing segment of alpine sports.

14 Sep 2005 19:58:27
GeckoDisciple
Re: Never skied before but need equipment advice

Man, you guys rock wid da info. Thanks. Much more helpful than the
alpine ski group people. Thanks lone, gendzwill, and og. This will be
mine first year on the virgin snow. I need all the help that I can get.
Thanks.

16 Sep 2005 10:26:48
Guilbus

On 2005-09-12 01:13:05 +0200, "GeckoDisciple" <[email protected] > said:

> Hi,
>
> I live in a skiing mecca but haven't skied yet. Which is better
> snowboarding, alpine skiing, or Randonee/Telemark? I'm definately a
> beginner, but anyone who knows me knows that I learn quickly in
> everything that I do especially in sports. I want to grow into a good
> ski or board. My desires will be for all-mountain and eventually
> racing. I'm looking at the Salomon Pocket Rockets to grow into. Are
> these so advanced that I can not use them in the beginning? Also, I
> haven't done research on boards. What would be the best snowboard for
> racing or all-mountain? and not freestyling. I need your advice on
> these ski equipment purchases and which is more fun. I know alpine
> skiing is much faster than snowboarding, right? Thanks.

Hello,
First if you're beginner, i recommand you to rent ski or snowboard to
be sure that you like it before buying it.
Second take lessond, to difficult to learn alone and you lost time
especially with friend....

Pocket rocket are too specific ski for beginner, for freeride... 1080
are better, lighter...
For ski size choose same size as you
For snowboard 20cm less than you