27 Mar 2008 15:26:29
Your Mom Says
Boards: Soft vs. Hard

I have been riding for years and never really thought the board mattered
all that much. I know some boards are lighter than others and obviously
that matters but I guess I thought that was it. I always rode on
pretty stiff boards because that is what ended up in my possession from
friends, or sales, or garbage cans. But I was up riding in NH last
weekend and tried a softer/springier board and it was like a while diff
world. It is like getting in a supercharged mini after driving an old
rusty cutlas for too long. It was awesome. You can jump higher off the
tail with no hit necessary. You can run from tip to tail when you hit a
flat part (I learned it wasnt me who sucked at this, it was my board).
So, I had a shorter softer board which I have never used yet...found it
in the garbage last year, long story. But I cant wait to go up this
weekend and try it out. Once, you go soft, youll never go back.

27 Mar 2008 13:34:38
Neil Gendzwill
Re: Boards: Soft vs. Hard

Your Mom Says wrote:
> Once, you go soft, youll never go back.

Well they are certainly more forgiving in general but I don't have any
trouble running flat on very stiff boards. At the speeds I enjoy, soft
boards are no good.

Neil

27 Mar 2008 12:59:56
Bob F
Re: Boards: Soft vs. Hard

"Your Mom Says" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I have been riding for years and never really thought the board mattered all
>that much. I know some boards are lighter than others and obviously that
>matters but I guess I thought that was it. I always rode on pretty stiff
>boards because that is what ended up in my possession from friends, or sales,
>or garbage cans. But I was up riding in NH last weekend and tried a
>softer/springier board and it was like a while diff world. It is like getting
>in a supercharged mini after driving an old rusty cutlas for too long. It was
>awesome. You can jump higher off the tail with no hit necessary. You can run
>from tip to tail when you hit a flat part (I learned it wasnt me who sucked at
>this, it was my board). So, I had a shorter softer board which I have never
>used yet...found it in the garbage last year, long story. But I cant wait to
>go up this weekend and try it out. Once, you go soft, youll never go back.

How does it do at speed? On ice? Hard carves?

28 Mar 2008 02:40:07
Christian Georg Becker
Re: Boards: Soft vs. Hard

Neil Gendzwill schrieb:
> Your Mom Says wrote:
>> Once, you go soft, youll never go back.
>
> Well they are certainly more forgiving in general but I don't have any
> trouble running flat on very stiff boards. At the speeds I enjoy, soft
> boards are no good.

Sometimes you have no choice. Say, Kaltenbach/Hochzillertal in
Zillertal/Austria - you start with a very slow slope and if you don't
know this beforehand you get stuck 20m before the top of a very gently
hill. Same with one blue slope at the lower station of "Moraine" in Val
Thorens - take the lower slope to go back to the city and get stuck for
certain.

But. With a moderately hard board you can still jump sideways. Do the
Ollie. Gets you moving too.

--
Krischan

MUD Morgengrauen - Ein Spiel fuer Leute, welche immer noch
http://mg.mud.de wagemutig genug sind, Buecher zu lesen.

28 Mar 2008 10:57:23
Switters
Re: Boards: Soft vs. Hard

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 19:59:56 GMT, "Bob F" <[email protected] >
allegedly wrote:

>>go up this weekend and try it out. Once, you go soft, youll never go
>>back.
>
> How does it do at speed? On ice? Hard carves?

Not very well, I would think, but then you knew that :) It's one reason I
moved from the Burton Floater to the Canyon, and then to Doneks.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org.uk/- Snowboarding the worlds pow pow.
Donek Sasquatch 162, Prior Pow 181, Burton Canyon 162

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/rssFAQ/

28 Mar 2008 15:50:24
Christian Georg Becker
Re: Boards: Soft vs. Hard

Switters schrieb:
> On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 19:59:56 GMT, "Bob F" <[email protected]>
> allegedly wrote:
>
>>> go up this weekend and try it out. Once, you go soft, youll never go
>>> back.
>> How does it do at speed? On ice? Hard carves?
>
> Not very well, I would think, but then you knew that :) It's one reason I
> moved from the Burton Floater to the Canyon, and then to Doneks.

Ok, that I could have guessed. But how is a softer board off piste in
deep snow?

--
Krischan

MUD Morgengrauen - Ein Spiel fuer Leute, welche immer noch
http://mg.mud.de wagemutig genug sind, Buecher zu lesen.

28 Mar 2008 10:42:40
Neil Gendzwill
Re: Boards: Soft vs. Hard

Christian Georg Becker wrote:
> Switters schrieb:
>>> How does it do at speed? On ice? Hard carves?
>>
>> Not very well, I would think, but then you knew that :) It's one
>> reason I moved from the Burton Floater to the Canyon, and then to Doneks.
>
> Ok, that I could have guessed. But how is a softer board off piste in
> deep snow?

Soft is better in the deep but on the other hand, you can ride damn near
anything short of a race board in the deep, it's just a matter of how
hard you want to work. I have a Coiler AM with a 21.5 cm waist that is
guaranteed stiffer than the boards 99.9% of the people ride, and it
works fine in powder although admittedly I haven't had it in bottomless
fluff.

Neil

28 Mar 2008 15:49:19
Re: Boards: Soft vs. Hard

On Mar 28, 12:42=A0pm, Neil Gendzwill <[email protected] > wrote:
> Christian Georg Becker wrote:
> > Switters schrieb:
>
> >> Not very well, I would think, but then you knew that :) =A0It's one
> >> reason I moved from the Burton Floater to the Canyon, and then to Donek=
s.

> > Ok, that I could have guessed. But how is a softer board off piste in
> > deep snow?
>
> Soft is better in the deep but on the other hand, you can ride damn near
> =A0 anything short of a race board in the deep, it's just a matter of how
> hard you want to work. =A0I have a Coiler AM with a 21.5 cm waist that is
> guaranteed stiffer than the boards 99.9% of the people ride, and it
> works fine in powder although admittedly I haven't had it in bottomless
> fluff.
>
> Neil

What about a softer board makes it better in deep powder?

BTW, I agree that it's not really a problem riding a relatively stiff
board in the flats. A softer board is more forgiving, but once
you're reasonably skilled, the stiffer ones do fine.

It's not really that one board type is superior to another. It
depends on what you use it for and your skill level.

28 Mar 2008 17:19:21
Neil Gendzwill
Re: Boards: Soft vs. Hard

[email protected] wrote:

> What about a softer board makes it better in deep powder?

In powder you're not turning on edge, you're turning on the base with a
lot less support than an edge on hardpack. A softer board will flex and
turn more easily, plus a softer nose lets it float to the top. The
powder-specific designs all have really soft noses, so when you get them
at speed on hardpack they tend to flap around. Stiff boards need to be
steered more in powder rather than ridden, and narrow boards tend to
sink. So stiff and narrow like a raceboard is not so good for powder,
but people can still do it.

Neil

07 Apr 2008 13:08:33
Christopher Cox
Re: Boards: Soft vs. Hard

Your Mom Says wrote:
> I have been riding for years and never really thought the board mattered
> all that much. I know some boards are lighter than others and obviously
> that matters but I guess I thought that was it. I always rode on
> pretty stiff boards because that is what ended up in my possession from
> friends, or sales, or garbage cans. But I was up riding in NH last
> weekend and tried a softer/springier board and it was like a while diff
> world. It is like getting in a supercharged mini after driving an old
> rusty cutlas for too long. It was awesome. You can jump higher off the
> tail with no hit necessary. You can run from tip to tail when you hit a
> flat part (I learned it wasnt me who sucked at this, it was my board).
> So, I had a shorter softer board which I have never used yet...found it
> in the garbage last year, long story. But I cant wait to go up this
> weekend and try it out. Once, you go soft, youll never go back.

Jibbing with a stiff board is not much fun.
Floating pow on a narrow stiff board is not much fun.
Ripping trees on a stiff long board is not much fun.
Riding on a soft board at extreme speeds is not much fun.
Riding chop on a soft board is not much fun.

With skill any of the above is possible, just not as much fun.

Chris