21 Feb 2005 13:15:54
stealtheldorado
Best boots to stop heel lift?

I've been riding my Northwave boots for about six seasons now, and
they've about had it. No matter how tight I lace them, my heel still
lifts up. I'd love to hear from riders who have found a good boot that
keeps your heels down. Or if you've a good trick for old boots, let me
know. I'm hoping to catch the end of season sales in late March.

Thanks,

Stealth Eldorado

21 Feb 2005 13:44:47
Bob
Re: Best boots to stop heel lift?

"stealtheldorado" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I've been riding my Northwave boots for about six seasons now, and
> they've about had it. No matter how tight I lace them, my heel still
> lifts up. I'd love to hear from riders who have found a good boot that
> keeps your heels down. Or if you've a good trick for old boots, let me
> know. I'm hoping to catch the end of season sales in late March.

I put my old orthodics in mine. They raise my heel about 1/2 inch, and now I
have no noticeable heel movement. Retail footbeds might do similarly.

Bob

21 Feb 2005 17:06:09
Jason Medeiros
Re: Best boots to stop heel lift?

i also note that the CAP STRAP on the latest burton bindings work to keep
the heel anchored.

--

jmed

22 Feb 2005 00:41:55
Mike T
Re: Best boots to stop heel lift?

> I've been riding my Northwave boots for about six seasons now, and
> they've about had it. No matter how tight I lace them, my heel still
> lifts up. I'd love to hear from riders who have found a good boot that
> keeps your heels down. Or if you've a good trick for old boots, let me
> know.

Like Bob said, footbeds can do wonders for eliminating heel lift - I have a
set of footbeds that goes in both my soft boots and my hard boots and I
would never ride either without them again.

My 01/02 Salomon Malamutes were the best I've had in terms of little heel
lift right out of the box - but that was more a function of the heel strap
inside the boot than anything else. And if I cranked the hgeel strap too
tight it cut off my circulation and screwed up the boot's flex.

Fit is everything so find out what fits you the best. My experience is
that a good pair of soft boots lasts me about 80 - 100 days before it
performance starts to degrade due to the shell getting softened past the
point of just being "broken in". I'm 195 pounds and rough on my gear so
you may get a little more than that.

I will never ride without my own footbeds again though, and would recommend
looking into it for anyone who has a decent fit but wants to get a great
fit. I thought my soft boot fit was good enough until I found that my hard
boots were *way* more comfy, and this prompted me to tweak the soft boots
some. Now the hard boots are still more comfy but only slightly so.

Mike T

P.S. IMHO hard boots are inherently easier to tweak so that explains why I
can't get my soft boots tuned quite as well!

22 Feb 2005 12:13:44
Andy Sandford
Re: Best boots to stop heel lift?

> Like Bob said, footbeds can do wonders for eliminating heel lift - I have
> set of footbeds that goes in both my soft boots and my hard boots and I
> would never ride either without them again.
>
> My 01/02 Salomon Malamutes were the best I've had in terms of little heel
> lift right out of the box - but that was more a function of the heel strap
> inside the boot than anything else. And if I cranked the hgeel strap too
> tight it cut off my circulation and screwed up the boot's flex.
>
> Fit is everything so find out what fits you the best. My experience is
> that a good pair of soft boots lasts me about 80 - 100 days before it
> performance starts to degrade due to the shell getting softened past the
> point of just being "broken in". I'm 195 pounds and rough on my gear so
> you may get a little more than that.
>
> I will never ride without my own footbeds again though, and would
recommend
> looking into it for anyone who has a decent fit but wants to get a great
> fit. I thought my soft boot fit was good enough until I found that my
hard
> boots were *way* more comfy, and this prompted me to tweak the soft boots
> some. Now the hard boots are still more comfy but only slightly so.
>
> Mike T
>
> P.S. IMHO hard boots are inherently easier to tweak so that explains why
> can't get my soft boots tuned quite as well!

I've got skinny ankles and my Malamutes grip like a vice - best boot I've
had. Also got custom footbeds, which make a BIG difference.

Andy

22 Feb 2005 14:05:53
Stelios Kougras
Re: Best boots to stop heel lift?

Burton SL/7 and the Cartel or Carbon60 bindings are the dream team. It's
like you had your heels glued to the boot. Tested it while Boarderweek 2004
in Val Thorens, France. Sadly, it's out of my price range with 350 Euro for
the boot plus the same for the binding.

Greets from snow covered Germany

"stealtheldorado" <[email protected] > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:[email protected]
> I've been riding my Northwave boots for about six seasons now, and
> they've about had it. No matter how tight I lace them, my heel still
> lifts up. I'd love to hear from riders who have found a good boot that
> keeps your heels down. Or if you've a good trick for old boots, let me
> know. I'm hoping to catch the end of season sales in late March.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stealth Eldorado

22 Feb 2005 08:41:21
Dean
Re: Best boots to stop heel lift?

You might want to check Tongar for boot adjustment options.

http://www.tognar.com/boot.html

Dean

22 Feb 2005 10:02:18
Ottawa
Re: Best boots to stop heel lift?

Northwaves are nice thin boots but if you're still lifting, my local store
put some "butterflies" in mine for a minimal price and they worked wonders
in holding my heel down. They are thelse little foamies and go inbetween
your inner and outerboot but hug you ankles
"Stelios Kougras" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Burton SL/7 and the Cartel or Carbon60 bindings are the dream team. It's
> like you had your heels glued to the boot. Tested it while Boarderweek
2004
> in Val Thorens, France. Sadly, it's out of my price range with 350 Euro
for
> the boot plus the same for the binding.
>

> Greets from snow covered Germany
>

> "stealtheldorado" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:[email protected]
> > I've been riding my Northwave boots for about six seasons now, and
> > they've about had it. No matter how tight I lace them, my heel still
> > lifts up. I'd love to hear from riders who have found a good boot that
> > keeps your heels down. Or if you've a good trick for old boots, let me
> > know. I'm hoping to catch the end of season sales in late March.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Stealth Eldorado

22 Feb 2005 08:33:36
David
Re: Best boots to stop heel lift?

"stealtheldorado" <[email protected] > wrote in message news:[email protected]
> I'd love to hear from riders who have found a good boot that
> keeps your heels down. Or if you've a good trick for old boots, let me
> know. I'm hoping to catch the end of season sales in late March.

I recently saw DC boots with a pump mechanism for the liner. Anyone
here use those? Do they hold your heel down? I think fit is always YMMV,
but it seems like a promising idea.

I recently stuck bits of adhesive rubber padding to the liner of my Nitro boots,
and it reduced heel lift, but didn't stop it.

I just added the optional toe ramp (Gas Pedal?) to my front Burton Custom
binding, hoping that tilting the binding back slightly will make up for a little
heel lift. Not sure that's the right approach though...

22 Feb 2005 09:24:19
bri719

Bob wrote:

>I put my old orthodics in mine. They raise my heel about 1/2 inch, and now I
>have no noticeable heel movement. Retail footbeds might do similarly.

I would agree that's worth a try. You can find them in the store for
$15-20 a pair. I know because I've used them for other sports....

also, I want to know if the OP has J-bars in his boots. that usually
helps any sliding around or movement of the liner. I'm not sure if the
liner is just so packed out that his heel moves around anyway, but if
you have J-bars available then use 'em.

bri

--

* enjoying the karma *