22 Dec 2005 01:25:23
Bryan
Best Northshore Beginner Snowboard Resort

First, thanks for the great discussion (Beginner advice). Tomorrow's the
big day! Can't wait!

Sugar Bowl
Homewood
Squaw
Northstar

What are the pro's and con's of each resort for a first time snowboarder? I
don't think pipes and parks play as big a role at this stage as do a good
variety of beginner runs and easy intermediate runs. Still, I don't
snowboard, so that's why I"m asking.

21 Dec 2005 17:39:16
Re: Best Northshore Beginner Snowboard Resort

Homewood.

Not a lot of traffic, nice runs, some more challenging stuff if you
need it, and great views of the lake to remind you why you're there.

Slow lifts, though.

Dave

Bryan wrote:
> First, thanks for the great discussion (Beginner advice). Tomorrow's the
> big day! Can't wait!

> Sugar Bowl
> Homewood
> Squaw
> Northstar
>
> What are the pro's and con's of each resort for a first time snowboarder? I
> don't think pipes and parks play as big a role at this stage as do a good
> variety of beginner runs and easy intermediate runs. Still, I don't
> snowboard, so that's why I"m asking.

22 Dec 2005 02:44:15
Bryan
Re: Best Northshore Beginner Snowboard Resort

<[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>> Bryan wrote:
>> First, thanks for the great discussion (Beginner advice). Tomorrow's the
>> big day! Can't wait!

>> Sugar Bowl
>> Homewood
>> Squaw
>> Northstar
>>
>> What are the pro's and con's of each resort for a first time snowboarder?
>> don't think pipes and parks play as big a role at this stage as do a good
>> variety of beginner runs and easy intermediate runs. Still, I don't
>> snowboard, so that's why I"m asking.
>
> Homewood.
>
> Not a lot of traffic, nice runs, some more challenging stuff if you
> need it, and great views of the lake to remind you why you're there.
>
> Slow lifts, though.
>
> Dave

I've been to Homewood once. Those lifts are sloooooooooooooooow. Still, a
very nice place.

21 Dec 2005 19:13:55
LeeD
Re: Best Northshore Beginner Snowboard Resort

I'd say Boreal and Soda....
Lots of space to just walk up the hill a bit, strap binding and glide
down...before buying a ticket.....
Big beginner area at the bottom for no fear learning.
At Boreal, good riders close by at the park, at Soda, just everyone
like you learning....
Homewood also.
Northstar isn't really good for first day'ers. Gotta take a gondola
up to insta-crowd.
Sugar is heavily policed for ticket at backside...frontside you buy
ticket before gondola, and the beginner chair there is too tough a
getof for 1st day boarders....
Squaw has great beginner AT THE TOP.

21 Dec 2005 21:05:23
Mike T
Re: Best Northshore Beginner Snowboard Resort

> Sugar Bowl
> Homewood
> Squaw
> Northstar

Id' recommend Boreal. Cheap lift tickets, good beginner terrain. Easy
I-80 access. I know things change, but in the mid 90's they had excellent
instructors. I did my 1st 10 days at Boreal. When I got bored with the
terrain I moved on to Squaw, Alpine Meadows and Sugar Bowl. The con: gets
crowded.

If you prefer to choose from the list above, I'd say Homewood.

Mike T

http://www.newsfeeds.comThe #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups

og
Re: Best Northshore Beginner Snowboard Resort

With current snow conditions your only choice is Squaw Valley because
the begiiner runs are above 8k feet.

22 Dec 2005 10:19:10
jaycb74
Re: Best Northshore Beginner Snowboard Resort

You don't have much choice, this guy is right, only place with decent snow
is going to be squaw up high at their beginner area, actually probably the
best in Tahoe. Wide open, easy lifts, great place to learn.

As nice as Homewood is, its a tough place for beginners as they really don't
have a good beginner area and the layout of the mtn. can be difficult and
confusing for most people.

"og" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> With current snow conditions your only choice is Squaw Valley because
> the begiiner runs are above 8k feet.

22 Dec 2005 19:53:12
kike
Re: Best Northshore Beginner Snowboard Resort

Go the extra mile to Kirkwood

22 Dec 2005 19:55:51
kike
Re: Best Northshore Beginner Snowboard Resort

Go the extra mile to Kirkwood

oops you are in the north shore...Squaw Valley

22 Dec 2005 21:49:20
Jrobb
Re: Best Northshore Beginner Snowboard Resort

My vote is Squaw too for beginners. With the temps being what they
are, it's your best bet. Their beginner stuff is wide open. Do expect
it to get crowded after noonish though (because of temps). If you
want to venture out to find the Best snow though...a trip to Kirkwood
is well worth the effort...I think just under two hrs from North Shore.