31 Jul 2006 01:23:14
John Owens
Where can we Ski with some sun at Christmas / New Year

We have never skied earlier than February. We like the times when one can
'lunch' outside and not always have to crowd into the fug of a mountain
restaurant.

Is there anywhere in Europe that is likely to deliver ?

FWIW we are a family of 4. Largely intermediate skiers but the two teenagers
will probably also be beginner snowboarders.

I thought of Sierra Nevada. Any comments ?

--
John Owens
www.goodviews.co.uk

31 Jul 2006 09:34:35
Adrian D. Shaw
Re: Where can we Ski with some sun at Christmas / New Year

Felly sgrifennodd John Owens <[email protected] >:
>We have never skied earlier than February. We like the times when one can
>'lunch' outside and not always have to crowd into the fug of a mountain
>restaurant.
>
>Is there anywhere in Europe that is likely to deliver ?

Almost any resort (possible exceptions including Scotland) is likely to
deliver. No resort is certain to deliver.

We've skied Christmas/New year for the last 8 years or so, and I don't
recall not being able to eat outside, though there've been a few occasions
when the weather was so bad we didn't hang round on the mountain; but
that's more a case of fog and poor visibility making the skiing not
worthwhile. That can happen any time of the season though.

Skiing at Christmas really isn't so different to skiing later in the
season. It gets dark earlier, so lifts close a little earlier (like 4:00
or 4:15 instead of 4:30 or 4:45, in CH). I suppose on average it's a bit
colder. But then you dress for it, so that doesn't matter.

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw [email protected]
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.

01 Aug 2006 01:32:46
dh
Re: Where can we Ski with some sun at Christmas / New Year

Sierra Nevada is most southerly skiing in Europe with skiing and c.
3,000m. The air is warmer at this latitude and as good a chance as
anywhere of sunny days at Christmas time. Or you might like to consider
taking the family over to Lake Tahoe, California. Try Heavenly more
about which you can learn more on www.ultimate-ski.com

01 Aug 2006 03:06:00
Matt T

John Owens wrote:
> We have never skied earlier than February. We like the times when one can
> 'lunch' outside and not always have to crowd into the fug of a mountain
> restaurant.
>
> Is there anywhere in Europe that is likely to deliver ?

Hi John,

I agree with Adrian - you might get lucky, you might not, but in my
experience the weather tends to be no better or worse than at other
times in the season. I've seen people skiing in bikinis in Verbier in
the first week of January, I've been forced off the mountain because of
heavy rain in Meribel at the same time. And I had to wade through 50cm
of snow in a blizzard to get to my car in Tignes on May 11th (Grrr..)

Val D'Isere last year on Christmas Eve (slightly tragic photo, but
illustrates the point):
http://static.flickr.com/36/76300153_2edb195b6f.jpg?v=0

Weather was almost too good - no really decent skiing in Espace Killy
until a big dump on New Years Eve.

Cheers,

Matt

01 Aug 2006 16:49:04
Johannes
Re: Where can we Ski with some sun at Christmas / New Year

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 01:23:14 +0100, "John Owens"
<[email protected] > wrote:

>We have never skied earlier than February. We like the times when one can
>'lunch' outside and not always have to crowd into the fug of a mountain
>restaurant.
>
>Is there anywhere in Europe that is likely to deliver ?
>
>FWIW we are a family of 4. Largely intermediate skiers but the two teenagers
>will probably also be beginner snowboarders.
>
>I thought of Sierra Nevada. Any comments ?

Sun doesn't mean it is "warm". I remember more cold days than warm
days around christmas.

Johannes

02 Aug 2006 09:49:12
Ace
Re: Where can we Ski with some sun at Christmas / New Year

On 1 Aug 2006 03:06:00 -0700, "Matt T" <[email protected] >
wrote:

>Val D'Isere last year on Christmas Eve (slightly tragic photo, but
>illustrates the point):
>http://static.flickr.com/36/76300153_2edb195b6f.jpg?v=0
>
>Weather was almost too good -

No. It was not good at all. Sunshine is _not_ good skiing weather.
Except occasionallym, and by coincidence.

>no really decent skiing in Espace Killy
>until a big dump on New Years Eve.

Yeah. A good couple of powder days followed though.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)

@elgy(nati-spam).org.uk

Matt T wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I agree with Adrian - you might get lucky, you might not, but in my
> experience the weather tends to be no better or worse than at other
> times in the season. I've seen people skiing in bikinis in Verbier in
> the first week of January,

Do you have photographic evidence? Were they: a/ British, b/ Students c/
Male, and if so it doesn't count

I've been forced off the mountain because of
> heavy rain in Meribel at the same time. And I had to wade through 50cm
> of snow in a blizzard to get to my car in Tignes on May 11th (Grrr..)
>
> Val D'Isere last year on Christmas Eve (slightly tragic photo, but
> illustrates the point):

That very same day we sat outside at a restaurant in Vallandry for lunch
- it was so warm we had to take our coats off. Two days later we had
just about the coldest weather I can recall in almost 20 years of skiiing.

> http://static.flickr.com/36/76300153_2edb195b6f.jpg?v=0
>
> Weather was almost too good - no really decent skiing in Espace Killy
> until a big dump on New Years Eve.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matt

02 Aug 2006 13:20:27
Adrian D. Shaw
Re: Where can we Ski with some sun at Christmas / New Year

Felly sgrifennodd
nati-spam).org.uk" <""john"@elgy(nati-spam <""john"@elgy(nati-spam).org.uk" >:
[Christmas eve 2005]
>That very same day we sat outside at a restaurant in Vallandry for lunch
> - it was so warm we had to take our coats off. Two days later we had
>just about the coldest weather I can recall in almost 20 years of skiiing.

Yes, we too had that cold weather at the same time in Klewenalp (Switzerland).
It didn't stop us eating outside though, and enjoying it. But we wouldn't
have stopped on the exposed higher slopes, of course.

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw [email protected]
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
http://users.aber.ac.uk/ais/weather/ uk

03 Aug 2006 02:07:55
Matt T

@elgy(nati-spam).org.uk wrote:
> Do you have photographic evidence? Were they: a/ British, b/ Students c/
> Male, and if so it doesn't count
Female, Swiss, mid-twenties. No photographic evidence I'm afraid :-)

Cheers,

Matt

04 Aug 2006 09:52:59
Eugene Miya
Re: Where can we Ski with some sun at Christmas / New Year

In article <[email protected] >,
Matt T <[email protected] > wrote:

>@elgy(nati-spam).org.uk wrote:
>> Do you have photographic evidence? Were they: a/ British, b/ Students c/
>> Male, and if so it doesn't count
>Female, Swiss, mid-twenties. No photographic evidence I'm afraid :-)

Swiss?
Was she named Nina, living in Davos working in a bakery, from Zurich
going to college studying chemistry? I should have taken a photo of her
myself.

8^)