27 Jul 2006 08:05:39
David Brown :o)
What are these?

I know they are something to do with avalanches but are they to prevent
or start?
How do they work?

http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/modules/PNphpBB2/files/upload/snowblasterthingy.jpg

Thanks

27 Jul 2006 16:31:46
BrritSki
Re: What are these?

David Brown :o) wrote:
> I know they are something to do with avalanches but are they to prevent
> or start?
> How do they work?
>
> http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/modules/PNphpBB2/files/upload/snowblasterthingy.jpg

I believe they are used to trigger them, or at least to blast away
excess snow before they can build to something dangerous.

AIUI a charge of gas (propane?) is released down the tube and then
ignited at the neck to provide the shockwave.

27 Jul 2006 08:56:00
David Brown :o)
Re: What are these?

BrritSki wrote:
> David Brown :o) wrote:
> > I know they are something to do with avalanches but are they to prevent
> > or start?
> > How do they work?
> >
> > http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/modules/PNphpBB2/files/upload/snowblasterthingy.jpg
> >
> I believe they are used to trigger them, or at least to blast away
> excess snow before they can build to something dangerous.
>
> AIUI a charge of gas (propane?) is released down the tube and then
> ignited at the neck to provide the shockwave.

Thanks, that's pretty much what I've always assumed.

David

27 Jul 2006 17:07:27
Alun Evans
Re: What are these?

On Thu 27 Jul '06 at 16:05 "David Brown :o)" <[email protected] > wrote:

> I know they are something to do with avalanches but are they to prevent
> or start?
> How do they work?
>
> http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/modules/PNphpBB2/files/upload/snowblasterthingy.jpg

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Avalanches/Gazex

A.

27 Jul 2006 18:10:35
Ace
Re: What are these?

On 27 Jul 2006 08:05:39 -0700, "David Brown :o)"
<[email protected] > wrote:

>I know they are something to do with avalanches but are they to prevent
>or start?
>How do they work?
>
>http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/modules/PNphpBB2/files/upload/snowblasterthingy.jpg

They are opened to allow a quantity of heavier-than-air gas to spread
over the snowpack, then ignited to trigger a controlled avalanche. All
done remotely, of course. Known as Gasex.

You may also have seen odd wires, almost like mini drag lifts, in some
parts, which are used to drop sticks of dynamite.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)