24 Dec 2005 09:20:18
Summer skiing in France

Hi, we are planning a climbing and mountain biking holiday near
Chamonix next August. We will climb for about a week or so and would
then quite like to move onto another resort where it may be possible to
ski on a glacier for two or three days. I have heard that this is
possible in Tignes but don't know where else. Any suggestions would be
appreciated. Thanks.

26 Dec 2005 16:07:34
davidof
Re: Summer skiing in France

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi, we are planning a climbing and mountain biking holiday near
> Chamonix next August. We will climb for about a week or so and would
> then quite like to move onto another resort where it may be possible to
> ski on a glacier for two or three days. I have heard that this is
> possible in Tignes but don't know where else. Any suggestions would be
> appreciated. Thanks.

Les Deux Alps in the Oisans massif. Good climbing and the largest
glacier in Europe for summer skiing, apparently.

26 Dec 2005 11:32:36
Re: Summer skiing in France

Yeah, we are looking at that. Somebody else mentioned La Plagne to me -
any ideas as to what its like there?

26 Dec 2005 20:47:02
pete devlin
Re: Summer skiing in France

In message <[email protected] >,
[email protected] writes
>Yeah, we are looking at that. Somebody else mentioned La Plagne to me -
>any ideas as to what its like there?

I have never heard of summer skiing at La Plagne and doubt it is
possible.
Any way, less of this summer stuff. I'm going to Saalbach in a few days
and they have more snow than you can shake a stick at!
--
Pete Devlin
[{//////news03//////at\\secondrow/////co\\uk}]

27 Dec 2005 11:26:36
davidof
Re: Summer skiing in France

pete devlin wrote:
> In message <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] writes
>
>> Yeah, we are looking at that. Somebody else mentioned La Plagne to me -
>> any ideas as to what its like there?
>>
> I have never heard of summer skiing at La Plagne and doubt it is possible.

La Plagne had summer skiing until... 2004? but I doubt they will be able
to open it in 2006.

l'Alpe d'Huez also had summer skiing until 2005 but I'm told it will not
open in 2006.

Val d'Isère's summer skiing has been closed since 2003 although they now
have snow making on the glacier - but with current snow depths in Val it
will need a miracle for them to open in 2006.

Val Thorens summer skiing has now closed permenantly (since 2002 I believe).

All victims of climate change.

Tignes may not last that much longer - PG who posts here sometimes has
published an extensive interview in French with the piste director on
that subject and may know more for the outlook.

27 Dec 2005 12:14:59
Nigel
Re: Summer skiing in France

Hi,
Why don't you come to Austria??

Good mountain climbing and skiing on several glaciers-dachsteingletscher and
Kaprun

http://www.dachsteingletscher.at/

Nigel

--
Winter and Summer holidays in the alps!!!
www.austrianfamilyholidays.co.uk

27 Dec 2005 15:30:00
Eugene Miya
austria was: Summer skiing in France

In article <[email protected] >, Nigel <[email protected]> wrote:
>Why don't you come to Austria??

Some of us are.

pg
Re: Summer skiing in France

"davidof" <[email protected] > a écrit dans le message de
news: [email protected]
> pete devlin wrote:
>> In message <[email protected]>,
>> [email protected] writes
>>
>>> Yeah, we are looking at that. Somebody else mentioned La Plagne to me -
>>> any ideas as to what its like there?
>>>
>> I have never heard of summer skiing at La Plagne and doubt it is
>> possible.
>
> La Plagne had summer skiing until... 2004? but I doubt they will be able
> to open it in 2006.
>
> l'Alpe d'Huez also had summer skiing until 2005 but I'm told it will not
> open in 2006.
>
> Val d'Isère's summer skiing has been closed since 2003 although they now
> have snow making on the glacier - but with current snow depths in Val it
> will need a miracle for them to open in 2006.
>
> Val Thorens summer skiing has now closed permenantly (since 2002 I
> believe).
>
> All victims of climate change.
>
> Tignes may not last that much longer - PG who posts here sometimes has
> published an extensive interview in French with the piste director on that
> subject and may know more for the outlook.

La Plagne 'officially' claims that closure is temporary, but as davidof
says, there's little hope of it opening again in the foreseeable future, and
the replacement of the cleap to operate button lift on the glacier by a
chair indicates that the lift company has pretty much made its mind up
already whatever the resort wants.

Val's artificial snowmaking facilities on the Pissaillis are intended in
part to allow summer skiing, at least for July, but current snow levels mean
that we could be in for another summer like last year in which case I can't
see it opening for long, if at all.

At Tignes no firm decision on artificial snowmaking as yet, and the plan is
for better snow stockpile husbandry to bolster the more vulnerable areas and
main linkways. The piste services director was a little pessimistic earlier
this year about the future of summer skiing, especially for August (the key
month as this is when most French are on holiday).

Last summer Deux Alpes was better off compared to Tignes - just - in terms
of cover, and making it through August. Deux Alpes is a flatter glacier and
Tignes gets the sun most of the day, which doesn't help.

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com