14 Jul 2006 21:33:06
MadCow
Nevis Range accident

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1820162,00.html

The contraption seems to be a perfectly ordinary gondola in a location
that isn't particularly extreme - I thought this sort of thing wasn't
supposed to happen nowadays?

--
Sue ]:(:)

14 Jul 2006 20:46:22
Pip Luscher
Re: Nevis Range accident

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 21:33:06 +0100, MadCow <[email protected] > wrote:

>http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1820162,00.html
>
>The contraption seems to be a perfectly ordinary gondola in a location
>that isn't particularly extreme - I thought this sort of thing wasn't
>supposed to happen nowadays?

"The system, which can carry 1,700 passengers an hour, has 80 closed
cabins."

Well, 79 now.

--
-Pip

14 Jul 2006 22:28:54
MadCow
Re: Nevis Range accident

In message <[email protected] >, Pip Luscher
<[email protected] > writes
>On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 21:33:06 +0100, MadCow <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1820162,00.html
>>
>>The contraption seems to be a perfectly ordinary gondola in a location
>>that isn't particularly extreme - I thought this sort of thing wasn't
>>supposed to happen nowadays?
>
>"The system, which can carry 1,700 passengers an hour, has 80 closed
>cabins."
>
>Well, 79 now.

<grin > they'll be numbered, and from now on people will be looking for
one to be missing.

--
Sue ]:(:)

15 Jul 2006 09:59:03
Brian McIlwrath
Re: Nevis Range accident

MadCow <[email protected] > wrote:

: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1820162,00.html

: The contraption seems to be a perfectly ordinary gondola in a location
: that isn't particularly extreme - I thought this sort of thing wasn't
: supposed to happen nowadays?

It's, AFAIK, a perfectly standard Poma gondola - as used in many Alpine resorts.

I can also recall them having a problem a few years ago who they ran it in
too high winds and one cabin had an accident (came off?) coming into a station.

17 Jul 2006 08:44:44
P.B.Riley-Jordan
Re: Nevis Range accident

There was an incident similar in nature when I visited Canada earlier this
year, with the potential to be more serious as the drop was said to be 40
ft.

Link: http://www.banffcragandcanyon.com/story.php?id=209176

--

yours