29 Feb 2008 19:37:48
SpokaneDiscount,,no [email protected]
curious whats it like to skate at 34-40 degress spring time?

i mean if you had a choice you probably would ski below 32deg...but
what is spring sking like...does any body do it or do we all put away
the skis


29 Feb 2008 23:02:53
John Forrest Tomlinson
Re: curious whats it like to skate at 34-40 degress spring time?

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 19:37:48 -0800 (PST), "SpokaneDiscount,,no
[email protected]" <[email protected] > wrote:

>i mean if you had a choice you probably would ski below 32deg...but
>what is spring sking like...does any body do it or do we all put away
>the skis

Depends on the snow and the overnight temps. If it gets cold at night
and warm in the day, it can be fine.


01 Mar 2008 06:26:13
snowyguy
Re: curious whats it like to skate at 34-40 degress spring time?

On Feb 29, 11:02 pm, John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected] >
wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 19:37:48 -0800 (PST), "SpokaneDiscount,,no
>
> [email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >i mean if you had a choice you probably would ski below 32deg...but
> >what is spring sking like...does any body do it or do we all put away
> >the skis
>
> Depends on the snow and the overnight temps. If it gets cold at night
> and warm in the day, it can be fine.

If you live in an area that sees a crust develop on your snow pack,
you can skate all over and don't need grooming at all. I've done it
on playing fields, golf courses, corn fields, etc. The trick is to
wait until the crust softens in the morning so that it isn't too
slick. You also must have a snowpack that has settled so that the
older it is, the firmer it will be under foot. After the sun melts
the surface into a wet slush at the height of the day, though, your
skating opportunity has passed. Nevertheless, this can be the best
kind of skiing, one with little boundaries or constrictions.


01 Mar 2008 20:49:01
gr
Re: curious whats it like to skate at 34-40 degress spring time?

SpokaneDiscount,,no [email protected] wrote:
> i mean if you had a choice you probably would ski below 32deg...but
> what is spring sking like...does any body do it or do we all put away
> the skis
Seems like the same applies to classic. With cold night temps, things
are hard and icy, but if you get the timing right (often 10am-12) the
snow softens for great skiing!.
gr


04 Mar 2008 04:30:16
Blowhardbuster
Re: curious whats it like to skate at 34-40 degress spring time?

On Mar 1, 8:49 pm, gr <[email protected] > wrote:
> SpokaneDiscount,,no [email protected] wrote:
> > i mean if you had a choice you probably would ski below 32deg...but
> > what is spring sking like...does any body do it or do we all put away
> > the skis
>
> Seems like the same applies to classic. With cold night temps, things
> are hard and icy, but if you get the timing right (often 10am-12) the
> snow softens for great skiing!.
> gr

As long as I have track or trackable snow, I can ski classic.
Skating, though, surfaces are limited.


08 Mar 2008 17:20:42
Re: curious whats it like to skate at 34-40 degress spring time?

On Feb 29, 10:37 pm, "SpokaneDiscount,,no [email protected]"
<[email protected] > wrote:
> i mean if you had a choice you probably would ski below 32deg...but
> what is spring sking like...does any body do it or do we all put away
> the skis

The best case for skating at that temperature is an inch or two of
fresh, wet snow on top of a hard base, or even well groomed grass.
I've skied up over 40F on snow like that.


16 Mar 2008 03:25:21
snowyguy
Re: curious whats it like to skate at 34-40 degress spring time?

On Mar 8, 8:20 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Feb 29, 10:37 pm, "SpokaneDiscount,,no [email protected]"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > i mean if you had a choice you probably would ski below 32deg...but
> > what is spring sking like...does any body do it or do we all put away
> > the skis
>
> The best case for skating at that temperature is an inch or two of
> fresh, wet snow on top of a hard base, or even well groomed grass.
> I've skied up over 40F on snow like that.

Actually, I already had something like that this spring.


18 Mar 2008 17:29:25
Re: curious whats it like to skate at 34-40 degress spring time?

On Mar 16, 6:25 am, snowyguy <[email protected] > wrote:
> On Mar 8, 8:20 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > On Feb 29, 10:37 pm, "SpokaneDiscount,,no [email protected]"
>
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > i mean if you had a choice you probably would ski below 32deg...but
> > > what is spring sking like...does any body do it or do we all put away
> > > the skis
>
> > The best case for skating at that temperature is an inch or two of
> > fresh, wet snow on top of a hard base, or even well groomed grass.
> > I've skied up over 40F on snow like that.
>
> Actually, I already had something like that this spring.

Talking to yourself again, Brucie?

snowyguy = blowhardbuster = windsurfer = swiftskier = swiftsailor = a
zillion other aliases