29 Sep 2004 12:21:41
Kenneth Salzberg
Re: syncopated rhythm in skate

So I went out to Elm Creek this morning to do a 2hr ski, and try out some
of this. It does work, but takes work.
As I was lazily v2-Alt. on the flats, I began to bend the ankle and get
forward, and began to accelerate. I tried to push against the ski as soon
as I put it down, and accelerated more. I then tried to make sure the
pole-push was from a relatively short ab crunch and not a long forward
bend, and accelerated even more. At which point I was going too fast, and
dropped the poling, and just no-pole skated.
Going up the hills, I concentrated on ankle bend, forward body, and
faster turn-over - and went up the hills faster than before. The only
downside of all this seems to be the need to "occasionally" slow down to
catch one's breath.
Now if I can just get in touch with whoever is supplying the Jay's with
whatever they are using to ski that fast, I'll have it made.
-Ken

Kenneth Salzberg [email protected]
Hamline University [email protected]
School of Law (651) 523-2354
1536 Hewitt Ave.
Sisu Skier - 50K Club St. Paul, MN 55104

Jeff Potter

[email protected] (Kenneth Salzberg) wrote in message news:<[email protected] >...
> [ ] At which point I was going too fast, and
> dropped the poling, and just no-pole skated.
> [ ] The only
> downside of all this seems to be the need to "occasionally" slow down to
> catch one's breath.

JD's clinic woke me up to the idea that we need to be able to do these
moves easily and in control. If a move is something we can only use
for accelerating and not for minutes at a time in a relaxed way then
we don't have the move down yet. What I look for is the places where
these new moves answer my need for more stability. When done right I
suspect they're actually more stable. They result in less of a need to
rush.

Like, for me setting the V2 ski straight down (seemingly out wide)
came because I was falling to the outside. So the wide ski put-down
made me more stable. Kicking all the way thru and not falling too soon
both also made me more stable. For me, in the end, more stable is more
fast.

Now, I see that Nathan says that getting more on top of the ski and
kicking more straight down to start requires more balance. But I find
that all the tips and aspects of these techniques go to SUPPORT the
portion which we're using to get more speed, to offset the increased
balance demand and end up, again, being more stable than my old ways.

I can only ski fast for very long if I'm very relaxed.

In fact, for me my secondary breakthru to good results and absolute
best skiing experience only comes when I get totally relaxed, deep
diaphragm breathing going in time with the various stable moves. I
haven't done many races yet where I was really in that best zone. But
I've had workouts there and, man, the extra air volume that gets moved
helps me go faster, and the relaxation keeps my muskles happy longer.
It seems that I actually get a soft, floppy 'big' belly cavity as I'm
rising up to pole when the breathing is right. That's how relaxed it
is. So I guess we don't use our abs on the upswing. ?? It goes from
total activation to total relaxation. But I can only do this kind of
breathing at high speed when my whole biomechanics thing is just
right.

--JP

01 Oct 2004 07:12:44
Jeff Potter
Re: syncopated rhythm in skate

PS: All that was a roundabout way of saying that I look for
free-floating modes that are firstly more stable. This then results in
more speed.

Or, I find something that seems faster then immediately look for ways
to do it relaxed, with stability.

Otherwise, I end up as Ken described, in the mode of
faster-faster-faster...bail-out...blow-up. And that ain't skiin'.

--JP