28 Nov 2003 17:56:51
Kenneth Salzberg
Re: Why don't more skiers use RSN?

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Bob wrote:

> My guess is that of US computer users, less than 1% even know that usenet
> exists. Of those that know of usenet, many are reppeled by the ng noise. I
> get the impression that many of the people who post on rsn have been using
> computers before the big boom of the WWW. I'll bet some here (not me) were
> on usenet before GUI OSs.

Some of us were reading and posting to listservs not only before GUI OSs,
but before usenet. I got into the habit of reading my skiing posts as a
member of the the e-mail list (when mitch was running it out of cornell),
and never have liked using usenet. IF you get me started, I'll bore you
with stories about having to know the best bounce sites to send e-mails to
particular places - and how to compose the "address" to get them there.

-Ken

Kenneth Salzberg [email protected]
Hamline University [email protected]
School of Law (651) 523-2354
1536 Hewitt Ave.
Sisu Skier - 50K Club St. Paul, MN 55104

Marsh Jones

Kenneth Salzberg wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Bob wrote:
>

>>My guess is that of US computer users, less than 1% even know that usenet
>>exists. Of those that know of usenet, many are reppeled by the ng noise. I
>>get the impression that many of the people who post on rsn have been using
>>computers before the big boom of the WWW. I'll bet some here (not me) were
>>on usenet before GUI OSs.
>

> Some of us were reading and posting to listservs not only before GUI OSs,
> but before usenet. I got into the habit of reading my skiing posts as a
> member of the the e-mail list (when mitch was running it out of cornell),
> and never have liked using usenet. IF you get me started, I'll bore you
> with stories about having to know the best bounce sites to send e-mails to
> particular places - and how to compose the "address" to get them there.
>
> -Ken
Gee, someone else who goes back to the days of 'bang' addressing. These
young whippersnappers don't know what it's like to have to know not only
the address, but also all the routing stops along the way...

Marsh