Advice for big skiers?

Hi There,
I'm interested in buying my first pair of skate skis. I've been doing
classic for about 6 years now and I've really come to love it.
I am seeking advice on brands/models of entry/intermediate skate skis for a,
ahem, larger individual.
My measurements: 6'3", 227-lbs, size 15 feet. (comments of ;"why bother with
the skis?" are implied.)
Thanks for any input.
Dave

30 Dec 2004 21:15:59
Chris Esposito
Re: Advice for big skiers?

"d" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hi There,
> I'm interested in buying my first pair of skate skis. I've been doing
> classic for about 6 years now and I've really come to love it.
> I am seeking advice on brands/models of entry/intermediate skate skis for
> a, ahem, larger individual.
> My measurements: 6'3", 227-lbs, size 15 feet. (comments of ;"why bother
> with the skis?" are implied.)
> Thanks for any input.
> Dave

Dave-
I don't weigh quite as much as you do, but at 190-195, I'm heavy enough
to face a similar problem. Assuming that losing a good chunk of weight isn't
an option (at least in the near term), a proper flex testing from a source
with a good-sized ski inventory is essential, and more important than the
particular brand or model. From what I can tell, the number of skis made
suitable for people at the upper tail of the weight distribution (and
presumably the lower tail as well) is small. For example, I went into
Winthrop Mountain Sports (in the Methow Valley, Washington) last December
looking for a new pair of skate skis and out of a considerable stock of
skis, they had exactly 2 pairs that tested as suitable for my weight. I
believe that shopping in mid-late fall is probably a better time to shop
than now might be, because of a larger available selection.

Chris

01 Jan 2005 20:54:55
Philip Nelson
Re: Advice for big skiers?

"d" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hi There,
> I'm interested in buying my first pair of skate skis. I've been doing
> classic for about 6 years now and I've really come to love it.
> I am seeking advice on brands/models of entry/intermediate skate skis for
a,
> ahem, larger individual.
> My measurements: 6'3", 227-lbs, size 15 feet. (comments of ;"why bother
with
> the skis?" are implied.)
> Thanks for any input.
> Dave

I had my store (In Competition in Green Bay) select appropriate skis for me.
I weigh between 230 and 240 depending on the time of year, also about 6'3".
My foot size at 13 hasn't been a problem but there you might face problems.

For the skis, both an earlier pair of Rossingals and more recently my
Fischer skate cut plus skis have been great, possibly even too stiff for
soft snow conditions. Earlier skis I had that were to soft were just
terrible but I can now I seem to glide as well or better as anybody around
me on most days.

For roller skis, I have used v2 820s and they have held me up for 5 years
now so long as i don't go out over 75 degrees. Since our snow has melted
almost completely, I'm about to strap those buggers on again...

02 Jan 2005 06:57:29
Pontificus Wrecks
Re: Advice for big skiers?

Chris Esposito wrote:
> "d" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>>Hi There,
>>I'm interested in buying my first pair of skate skis. I've been doing
>>classic for about 6 years now and I've really come to love it.
>>I am seeking advice on brands/models of entry/intermediate skate skis for
>>a, ahem, larger individual.
>>My measurements: 6'3", 227-lbs, size 15 feet. (comments of ;"why bother
>>with the skis?" are implied.)
>>Thanks for any input.
>>Dave
>

> Dave-
> I don't weigh quite as much as you do, but at 190-195, I'm heavy enough
> to face a similar problem. Assuming that losing a good chunk of weight isn't
> an option (at least in the near term), a proper flex testing from a source
> with a good-sized ski inventory is essential, and more important than the
> particular brand or model. From what I can tell, the number of skis made
> suitable for people at the upper tail of the weight distribution (and
> presumably the lower tail as well) is small. For example, I went into
> Winthrop Mountain Sports (in the Methow Valley, Washington) last December
> looking for a new pair of skate skis and out of a considerable stock of
> skis, they had exactly 2 pairs that tested as suitable for my weight. I
> believe that shopping in mid-late fall is probably a better time to shop
> than now might be, because of a larger available selection.
>
> Chris

Hey Dave, I am glad to meet another member of the Clydesdale Nordic
Sprint Club. I am 6'4" and 260lbs. When I am not skiing I am tossing
cabers and lifting mid-sized sedans off of crash victims. I rock climb,
too, but my idea of "sending the route" is accidentally dislodging the
rock and sending it rolling down the hill... heh heh. When I bought my
favorite skate skis I happened to be working in a nordic shop (ahh, grad
school employment - it was the best of times), but there's no reason why
my plan won't work for you. I called the rep for the ski company and
asked if he could help me get some bloody stiff skis, and what he did
was call and ask the production guys (at Madshuss) for a pair of skis
that came out stiffer than their manufacturing specs allow - in other
words they gave me the skis that would have been thrown out for being
too stiff! I freaking love them. The funniest thing is when I give
them to my ectomorph friends, and they can't flex them at all. It's
kind of like in the Odyssey when nobody else can string Odysseus's bow,
but I digress. The stiff skis make everything work just right. Try
calling your favorite shop and seeing if you can work through their ski
rep and do what I did.

Re: Advice for big skiers? - thanks

Thanks for the input folks. I camber tested a pair of Rossignol Carbon skate
skis the other day. They should fit the bill.
Regards
Dave