21 Feb 2008 09:03:27
packing boots with skis

I just bought a double, padded snowboard bag to carry my skis/
clothing. There is a ton of room inside and I was thinking of packing
my boots in with skis since I don't yet have a boot bag. I'm a little
nervous about how checked bags get handled at the airport, but was
thinking if everything is padded with clothing in an already padded
bag that it might work fine. Does anyone have any experience doing
this? The other option is just to carry the boots around the airport
with me. Thanks!

21 Feb 2008 14:02:11
Walt
Re: packing boots with skis

[email protected] wrote:
> I just bought a double, padded snowboard bag to carry my skis/
> clothing. There is a ton of room inside and I was thinking of packing
> my boots in with skis since I don't yet have a boot bag. I'm a little
> nervous about how checked bags get handled at the airport, but was
> thinking if everything is padded with clothing in an already padded
> bag that it might work fine. Does anyone have any experience doing
> this? The other option is just to carry the boots around the airport
> with me. Thanks!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

Do NOT ever check your ski boots on the way to the resort. I found this
out the hard way. If your luggage is delayed, you'll have to ski in
rental boots, and the dirty little secret about skiing is that the
reason the newbies in rental gear all ski like dorks is that *anyone*
who tries to ski in boots that don't fit will ski like a dork. Really.

Been there, done that, it was awful. I couldn't ski for shit, even on
the same model ski that I usually ski on.

So, get a medium sized carry on bag, place your boots in it along with
whatever you need to ski the first two days - ski pants, googles, hat,
gloves, beer, cheese, whatever. Carry it on. Check the rest of the stuff.

On the way home you can probably risk checking your boots. If it's
delayed, so what?

As for damage during handling, skis and boots are not exactly delicate.
Spend your cycles worrying about something more important.

//Walt

21 Feb 2008 12:43:30
VtSkier
Re: packing boots with skis

[email protected] wrote:
> I just bought a double, padded snowboard bag to carry my skis/
> clothing. There is a ton of room inside and I was thinking of packing
> my boots in with skis since I don't yet have a boot bag. I'm a little
> nervous about how checked bags get handled at the airport, but was
> thinking if everything is padded with clothing in an already padded
> bag that it might work fine. Does anyone have any experience doing
> this? The other option is just to carry the boots around the airport
> with me. Thanks!

DON'T DO IT!!!!!

Always have your boots as carry on luggage.

You can replace everything else easily if the
airline loses your stuff, but you can't
replace your boots.

and, WTF did you buy a snowboard bag for skis?
Seems like way too much space.

BTW you can fill your ski/snowboard bag with
clothing and extras, dirty cloths going home
is always a good possibility.

21 Feb 2008 21:36:51
lal_truckee
Re: packing boots with skis

Walt wrote:

> On the way home you can probably risk checking your boots. If it's
> delayed, so what?

So what? So you can't ski.
Every day's a ski day - home mountain or visitor mountain.

Boots in carry on, everything else can be checked to/from.

21 Feb 2008 17:27:36
Walt
Re: packing boots with skis

lal_truckee wrote:
> Walt wrote:
>>
>> On the way home you can probably risk checking your boots. If it's
>> delayed, so what?
>
> So what? So you can't ski.
> Every day's a ski day - home mountain or visitor mountain.
>
> Boots in carry on, everything else can be checked to/from.

I suppose that there's a remote possibility I'll want to run off to Mt
Trashmore the day after returning from a week in Colorado.

Somehow, though, I think I may be able to restrain myself.

Anyway, I'll talk to you all in a week. (Or a week and a day if I do
the Mt Trashmore thing.)

//Walt

21 Feb 2008 14:32:07
TexasSkiNut
Re: packing boots with skis

On Feb 21, 11:03=A0am, [email protected] wrote:
> I just bought a double, padded snowboard bag to carry my skis/
> clothing. =A0There is a ton of room inside and I was thinking of packing
> my boots in with skis since I don't yet have a boot bag. =A0I'm a little
> nervous about how checked bags get handled at the airport, but was
> thinking if everything is padded with clothing in an already padded
> bag that it might work fine. =A0Does anyone have any experience doing
> this? =A0The other option is just to carry the boots around the airport
> with me. Thanks!

I'll agree that carrying your boots onboard is the best suggestion.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that some airlines are
starting to enforce the rule that ski bags may contain "ski equipment"
ONLY, as in just skis and poles only. For years, people have gotten
away with stuffing their ski bags with clothes, etc., but don't count
on it. I've had friends who were charged for excess baggage because
their bags had more than just the skis and poles. Had another who had
to do a quick re-pack. And by the way, they mean just ONE set of skis/
poles per bag. I bought a monster Rossignol double ski bag that could
probably hold a half dozen sets of skis (it's one foot in diameter),
but I gave up using it because I didn't want to risk having to pay for
an extra bag. Implementation of this particular airline rule is
highly dependent on the gate agent...for now. As more airlines start
doing it, the others will all fall in line. Already at least one
airline has announced that they'll start charging for a second checked
bag. The others will follow suit if they see that the first airline
is getting away with it.

My boots (which at size 10 aren't small like my wife's) fit in a
standard wheeled carryon along with my helmet, goggles, gloves, shell
pants, socks, underwear, turtleneck, etc. By wearing a jacket I can
ski in on the plane, I'm good to go the first day. I always viewed
the potential for delayed luggage as an opportunity to get free
rentals. :)

21 Feb 2008 19:43:30
Mike Y
Re: packing boots with skis

<[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just bought a double, padded snowboard bag to carry my skis/
> clothing. There is a ton of room inside and I was thinking of packing
> my boots in with skis since I don't yet have a boot bag. I'm a little
> nervous about how checked bags get handled at the airport, but was
> thinking if everything is padded with clothing in an already padded
> bag that it might work fine. Does anyone have any experience doing
> this? The other option is just to carry the boots around the airport
> with me. Thanks!

I'd NEVER check boots! I'm going to Bariloche this summer, and I want
my boots with me on the plane! My custom fitted boots with the 6 hours
to fit footbeds. Everything else is expendable. Loose my luggage, they can
buy me generic stuff. Loose my boots, I'm screwed!

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna just rent skis. Haven't decided yet. I may take
my Apache CrossFires (they were new last season) so they are near the
end of their life and maybe I'll take them, but I figure I'd just rent the
skis.

Mike

22 Feb 2008 09:57:50
MoonMan
Re: packing boots with skis

Walt wrote:
> lal_truckee wrote:
>> Walt wrote:
>>>
>>> On the way home you can probably risk checking your boots. If it's
>>> delayed, so what?
>>
>> So what? So you can't ski.
>> Every day's a ski day - home mountain or visitor mountain.
>>
>> Boots in carry on, everything else can be checked to/from.
>

> I suppose that there's a remote possibility I'll want to run off to Mt
> Trashmore the day after returning from a week in Colorado.
>
> Somehow, though, I think I may be able to restrain myself.
>
> Anyway, I'll talk to you all in a week. (Or a week and a day if I do
> the Mt Trashmore thing.)

Sadly, I supect you won't be allowed to carry boots as hand luggage for much
longer. they could be used as a weapon, like over 100ml of water can :(

--
Chris *<:-)

Rule 1 - Me first
Rule 2 - Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!
Rule 3 - Skis at the bottom, Head at the top!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

22 Feb 2008 08:51:50
Walt
Re: packing boots with skis

TexasSkiNut wrote:
> On Feb 21, 11:03 am, [email protected] wrote:

>> By wearing a jacket I can ski in on the plane...

That's pretty impressive. Do you ride on the wings or the fuselage?

//Walt

22 Feb 2008 13:47:00
comadrejo
Re: packing boots with skis

In article
<[email protected] >,
[email protected] wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience doing
> this? The other option is just to carry the boots around the airport
> with me. Thanks!

Carry your boots around with you, buy a boot bag, or use a backpack only
for your boots, unless you have some sort of padded boot bag you can
throw into a Patagucci black hole bag or a North Face Expedition Bag...

Not to be a promo for Patagucci, but they have some of the best
luggage for travelling with lots of gear, (I owned a couple black hole
bags, when I was travelling down to South America)

22 Feb 2008 13:54:49
Ted Waldron
Re: packing boots with skis

In article <[email protected] >, "Mike Y" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I'm going to Bariloche this summer, and I want
> my boots with me on the plane!

When are you going? are you flying to Buenos Aires and taking a
flight to Bariloche or going Santiago via Puerto Montt and a bus via the
Samoré Pass?

Check the weather diligently from June onward, snowpack in the Lake
District can be sketchy at times, especially on the East Side.

Also go up to San Martin de los Andes when you have a chance...

ˇBueno Viaje!

22 Feb 2008 19:20:14
Harry Weiner
Re: packing boots with skis

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 08:51:50 -0500, Walt <[email protected] > wrote
this crap:

>>> By wearing a jacket I can ski in on the plane...
>
>That's pretty impressive. Do you ride on the wings or the fuselage?

The bomb bay. Did you see the movie with Slim Pickins riding the
bomb?

[email protected]

My T-shirt says, "This shirt is the
ultimate power in the universe."