30 Jan 2007 06:14:56
mal_k100
Sking near Phoenix

Visiting Phoenix next week.
I'm a european skier and worried about lift queues in Snowbowl or
Sunrise. Does anyone have some suggestions? I was thinking Sunrise as
it appears to have a wider variety from the trail maps but as I will
be sking on the weekend only I could do with some advice.
Not too worried about difficulty as I will be skiing on my own and
sticking to groomed trails and avoiding any ice and double diamonds !
Any thought of people that have actually skied the area, preferably
recently would be approciated. Would like to avoid anecdotal comments
if you don't mind folks as I need to arrange things before next week.
Cheers

30 Jan 2007 10:07:43
Bullfinch
Re: Sking near Phoenix

On Jan 30, 7:14 am, "mal_k100" <[email protected] > wrote:
> Visiting Phoenix next week.
> I'm a european skier and worried about lift queues in Snowbowl or
> Sunrise. Does anyone have some suggestions? I was thinking Sunrise as
> it appears to have a wider variety from the trail maps but as I will
> be sking on the weekend only I could do with some advice.
> Not too worried about difficulty as I will be skiing on my own and
> sticking to groomed trails and avoiding any ice and double diamonds !
> Any thought of people that have actually skied the area, preferably
> recently would be approciated. Would like to avoid anecdotal comments
> if you don't mind folks as I need to arrange things before next week.
> Cheers

Hello,
I've skied Sunrise but not Snowbowl. Sunrise is a little better from
what I've heard since it is farther from the Phoenix crowds. It is run
by a local indian tribe though and I don't think they run it very well
quite frankly. Customer service is not their strong suit... If you go,
and you need to rent, I highly recommend getting equipment at the
"town" as the "resort" runs out of thier crummy gear fast. In short,
its OK if you live nearby, you are on a tight budget, and absolutly
must get in some skiing. Of course, if one could go somewhere else one
most certainly would. From what I've heard, Snowbowl is very crowded
since Phoenix folk can get there pretty quick.

If you are driving from Phoenix, you'll need some time to get to
Sunrise.

Weekends are very crowded at Snowbowl or Sunrise as they be open only
a few days per year and locals will be trying to get in some skiing.

Good Luck!

30 Jan 2007 10:54:27
Tom
Re: Sking near Phoenix

On Jan 30, 9:14 am, "mal_k100" <[email protected] > wrote:
> Visiting Phoenix next week.
> I'm a european skier and worried about lift queues in Snowbowl or
> Sunrise. Does anyone have some suggestions? I was thinking Sunrise as
> it appears to have a wider variety from the trail maps but as I will

I thought Sunrise very good at absorbing the crowds and had good
variety of terrain. I agree with Bullfinch though, rent gear outside
the resort itself. The drive from Phoenix was about 2.5 hours.

Tom

01 Feb 2007 01:52:16
mal_k100
Re: Sking near Phoenix

On 30 Jan, 14:14, "mal_k100" <[email protected] > wrote:
> Visiting Phoenix next week.
> I'm a european skier and worried about lift queues in Snowbowl or
> Sunrise. Does anyone have some suggestions? I was thinking Sunrise as
> it appears to have a wider variety from the trail maps but as I will
> be sking on the weekend only I could do with some advice.
> Not too worried about difficulty as I will be skiing on my own and
> sticking to groomed trails and avoiding any ice and double diamonds !
> Any thought of people that have actually skied the area, preferably
> recently would be approciated. Would like to avoid anecdotal comments
> if you don't mind folks as I need to arrange things before next week.
> Cheers

Thanks Bullfinch and Tim, Sunrise it is I think. I check the trails
and it certainly looks more extensive. Just a weekend though so I'll
have to see. Thanks for the tips on the ski hire. Iam going to see if
I can get my skis on the plane - always take my boots anyway.
Cheers