20 Dec 2005 20:45:10
eblaster
Jay Peak, VT or Sugarloaf, VT

My 13 yo son and I are considering spending 5 days sking in February at Jay
Peak, Vermont. I seem to recall having had a great time there about 25-30
years ago. Does anyone have more recent memories or experiences they care
to share? We're also considering Sugarloaf in Maine.. Same question.

Thanks,
Phil

20 Dec 2005 21:36:05
Dave Stallard
Re: Jay Peak, VT or Sugarloaf, VT

eblaster wrote:
> My 13 yo son and I are considering spending 5 days sking in February at Jay
> Peak, Vermont. I seem to recall having had a great time there about 25-30
> years ago. Does anyone have more recent memories or experiences they care
> to share? We're also considering Sugarloaf in Maine.. Same question.

Jay Peak can be great or awful, depending on conditions. It gets a lot
of snow, but when they don't get enough snow, it's horrifically icy. I'm
just going by my experience. Sugarbush might be a better bet, if you
had to spend 5 days there.

But my real question is, why spend the whole 5 days at just one place or
the other? You could branch out and ski 2 or 3 places, like Stowe,
etc. None of these VT places (except maybe Killington) has enough
terrain to hold you for 5 straight days.

Dave

20 Dec 2005 22:08:18
eblaster
Re: Jay Peak, VT or Sugarloaf, VT

Very good point, I may reconsider. Thanks

Phil

"Dave Stallard" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> eblaster wrote:
>> My 13 yo son and I are considering spending 5 days sking in February at
>> Jay
>> Peak, Vermont. I seem to recall having had a great time there about
>> 25-30
>> years ago. Does anyone have more recent memories or experiences they
>> care
>> to share? We're also considering Sugarloaf in Maine.. Same question.
>
> Jay Peak can be great or awful, depending on conditions. It gets a lot
> of snow, but when they don't get enough snow, it's horrifically icy. I'm
> just going by my experience. Sugarbush might be a better bet, if you had
> to spend 5 days there.
>
> But my real question is, why spend the whole 5 days at just one place or
> the other? You could branch out and ski 2 or 3 places, like Stowe, etc.
> None of these VT places (except maybe Killington) has enough terrain to
> hold you for 5 straight days.
>
> Dave

20 Dec 2005 22:09:33
Mike
Re: Jay Peak, VT or Sugarloaf, VT

If you want to try different ski areas try Waterbury,Vt. There is a good
hotel there. It used to be a Holiday Inn. Now I think its a BestWestern,
From there in 25 minutes you can ski Stowe, Bolton Valley, Sugarbush,
Sugarbush North or Mad River. The Hotel is less than a quater mile off the
Interstae on 100 north. Its been a couple of years since I stayed there, but
food was fairly good.

"Dave Stallard" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> eblaster wrote:
>> My 13 yo son and I are considering spending 5 days sking in February at
>> Jay
>> Peak, Vermont. I seem to recall having had a great time there about
>> 25-30
>> years ago. Does anyone have more recent memories or experiences they
>> care
>> to share? We're also considering Sugarloaf in Maine.. Same question.
>
> Jay Peak can be great or awful, depending on conditions. It gets a lot
> of snow, but when they don't get enough snow, it's horrifically icy. I'm
> just going by my experience. Sugarbush might be a better bet, if you had
> to spend 5 days there.
>
> But my real question is, why spend the whole 5 days at just one place or
> the other? You could branch out and ski 2 or 3 places, like Stowe, etc.
> None of these VT places (except maybe Killington) has enough terrain to
> hold you for 5 straight days.
>
> Dave

21 Dec 2005 15:32:54
ant

Mike wrote:
> If you want to try different ski areas try Waterbury,Vt. There is a
> good hotel there. It used to be a Holiday Inn. Now I think its a
> BestWestern, From there in 25 minutes you can ski Stowe, Bolton
> Valley, Sugarbush, Sugarbush North or Mad River. The Hotel is less
> than a quater mile off the Interstae on 100 north. Its been a couple
> of years since I stayed there, but food was fairly good.

And there's ice cream nearby!

--
ant

21 Dec 2005 16:28:40
Chris Nowak
Re: Jay Peak, VT or Sugarloaf, VT

I myself can't wait to get to Jay Peak this year. I live in Albany, NY and
usually go to Gore or stop short in K-ton. Gore and Jay have outstanding
glades if you're into that. Jay has much more snow than Gore and everyone
else for that matter. It's really insane how they get dumped on up
there--I'm jealous since I only make it up there once per year.

"eblaster" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> My 13 yo son and I are considering spending 5 days sking in February at
> Jay
> Peak, Vermont. I seem to recall having had a great time there about 25-30
> years ago. Does anyone have more recent memories or experiences they care
> to share? We're also considering Sugarloaf in Maine.. Same question.
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

22 Dec 2005 02:28:33
ttalb
Re: Jay Peak, VT or Sugarloaf, VT

"Mike" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> If you want to try different ski areas try Waterbury,Vt. There is a good
> hotel there. It used to be a Holiday Inn. Now I think its a BestWestern,
> From there in 25 minutes you can ski Stowe, Bolton Valley, Sugarbush,
> Sugarbush North or Mad River. The Hotel is less than a quater mile off the
> Interstae on 100 north. Its been a couple of years since I stayed there,
> but food was fairly good.

Mike,

It is a Best Western now and reasonably priced and not far from Stowe and
Sugarbush. Was up there Sunday morning at Stowe and they have been getting
pretty good snows everyday since last week. Conditions were great. They put
in a new high speed detachable lift on the Spruce Mountain side
(beginner/intermediate) but also some fun terrain for any level.
TG

21 Dec 2005 21:31:52
JQ
Re: Jay Peak, VT or Sugarloaf, VT

"eblaster" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> My 13 yo son and I are considering spending 5 days sking in February at
> Jay
> Peak, Vermont. I seem to recall having had a great time there about 25-30
> years ago. Does anyone have more recent memories or experiences they care
> to share? We're also considering Sugarloaf in Maine.. Same question.
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

Hi,
Depending whether it had been snowing or not both places can be very icy.
I'd pick Sunday River especially going with your 13 yr old son. It has a
lot more terrain there for him and yourself. If you do not mind driving 30
minutes you can stay in Gorham, NH. From there you have several more ski
areas that would be within 30 minutes or less.

JQ
Dancing on the edge