27 Nov 2004 05:57:46
Sy
Pricing for one-on-one dives in Miami area

I would like to do some one-on-one dives in the Miami area. I have
Open Water Certification.

I was quoted a price of $175.00 to include boat fee,equipment,guide.

Does this price sound reasonable?

Thanks

27 Nov 2004 16:47:39
mike gray
Re: Pricing for one-on-one dives in Miami area

Sy wrote:
> I would like to do some one-on-one dives in the Miami area. I have
> Open Water Certification.
>
> I was quoted a price of $175.00 to include boat fee,equipment,guide.
>
> Does this price sound reasonable?
>
> Thanks

That's reasonable for a personal guided dive.

Yer paying for the boat for two ($45-55 X 2), yer personal gear
($40-50), and three to four hours of the guide's time. The guide may be
getting a discount (or kickback) on the boat and gear, but not much.

I have guided in the Boynton area, but I tell most folks to find a boat
that caters to locals, and just ask to tag along - the locals are
experienced and friendly.

But avoid a cattle boat that just buddies you up with another
inexperienced diver without local knowledge. That's when a guide is
worth it.

If you go an hour south to the Keys, you will find boats that do
shallow, pretty dives tailored to tourists, and you will not need a
guide. If you go a half hour north to Lauderdale/Pompano or an hour
north to Boynton, you will find operations that cater to locals.

In any event, have a nice dive.